The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Some of them make me cringe. Some English accents make me cringe also. All countries have positive and negative aspects.
Reply 21
I cant stand some of the Jersey ones.... well its not that accents, but they TALK SO LOUD, even when they are talking about socks (personal experience here :biggrin: ) It's like what they have is so important everyone within 100 yards has to hear it...
Reply 22
my favorite american accents are:
southwest native american english ( i knew this navajo girl and they have a really nice relaxing slow way of speaking)
boston brahmin (i warshed the dishes)
the colorado mountain town slur (you guys wan' go ski'in)
hawaiian (pidgin slang and etc. are very cool)
california inner city african american (i like it, very animated, seems to have a nice ease about it)

accents that aren't so cool:
mexican american (for some reason it sounds skeevy to me)
chicago (dont like the harsh vowel sounds)
New York Jewish (a little too nasal for me although i love fran drescher and woody allen, their accents grate me a bit)
minnesotan is kind of weird too

although i do like britsih accents, i like kiwi and australian accents a bit more.

sorry just my random opinions hehe
randdom
I don't like some America accents and others I like. The same way that there are some English accents I like and others that I don't. There is such a wide variety of America accents that I don't think that you can easily generalise.

You will be surprised how few people realise that there are more than one Geordie accent and those people happen to be British too...
Reply 24
Personally, american accents don't bother me one bit.
chermitron
minnesotan is kind of weird too

I think you're the second person to dislike the Minnesotan accent. I think it's just the cutest! Not that I'd want to speak that way, but I love it when someone else has that accent. I had a calculus professor from Minny, and it always made me giggle a bit every time he said "Square RUU-ot"
Reply 26
hahah whenever i hear a minnesotan accent i always think of dumpy middle aged women wearing sweat pants and winnie the pooh sweatshirts. but maybe thats just b/c that mad tv character lorraine has a minnesotan accent, dontcha know? :biggrin:
Reply 27
Mad Caddie
Can't think of any off hand, but all the "narly" and "dude" in every single spoken sentance makes me annoyed. And the over excessive use of "totally" and the use of "like" about 20 times in a single phrase.

Umm hollywood steriotypes... let me guess you think the native americans walk arround saying 'HOW' as a greeting aswell. Don't believe everything you see on tv. :biggrin:
Reply 28
Infinity
Umm hollywood steriotypes... let me guess you think the native americans walk arround saying 'HOW' as a greeting aswell. Don't believe everything you see on tv. :biggrin:

LOL, no, I honestly find that a large number of American are quite overdramatic and use word such as "like" repeatedly and unnecesarily in sentances. Its not necessarily a bad thing, I just find it annoying.

Maybe its just that the American accent sounds less formal, to me, and as Im not accustomed to it, it annoys me, as its a stark contrast to the British accent.
Reply 29
spk
Dude, it sounds like you've been like totally watching too much Bill and Ted, dude, like, totally.

Maybe, I've always said, amongst friends, that I watch too much American TV. What with The OC, Friends, Six Feet Under, Fraser, Will & Grace to name but a few.
katiesado
What does an American accent say to you?

"Would you like fries with that bomb?"
Reply 31
Misbah Imtiaz
I should be glad then I've just stuck to New York city so far for my travels!

I think that's unfair. You're missing out on quite a lot of unique places and interesting things just because you don't particularly care for the regional accent.
Reply 32
Mad Caddie
Can't think of any off hand, but all the "narly" and "dude" in every single spoken sentance makes me annoyed. And the over excessive use of "totally" and the use of "like" about 20 times in a single phrase.

No one says narly or dude unless you are Bill and Ted from a shit 90s movie. I will give you "like" though, it is like, a totally bad American habit. Although to me I think it expresses an enthusiasm for what the speaker is talking about. It's kind of like cheerleading for conversation. It's very American and I think it's cute when I look at it like that.
Reply 33
oldthrashbarg
"Would you like fries with that bomb?"

Very funny even if it is a dis on my country :biggrin:
katiesado
Very funny even if it is a dis on my country :biggrin:

It's not even a real joke tbh. The US attacks a country, and then bombards it with cultural detritus (eg. fast food).
Reply 35
oldthrashbarg
It's not even a real joke tbh. The US attacks a country, and then bombards it with cultural detritus (eg. fast food).

I know which is what makes it even funnier.
Reply 36
American women seem to have really high and girly voices (which I find a bit annoying) but what really bothers me is:

walking = walkeen
talking = talkeen
singing = singeen
dancing = danceen

Has anyone else noticed that?

Obviously regional accents are funny, just like they are funny here :tongue:
Reply 37
Infinity

You don't :eek: there goes my u.s. history research project thesis :redface:
walking = walkeen talking = talkeen singing = singeen dancing = danceen

Take out an e in each and you've pretty much got it.
Reply 38
Mr Moncal
You don't :eek: there goes my u.s. history research project thesis :redface:
Take out an e in each and you've pretty much got it.

I'm not talking about dropping the "g" I'm talking about girls who do a really nasal sound changing it from "ing" to a weird "eeng" sound.
Reply 39
I think the american accent can be great, especially the deep south accents!

Latest

Trending

Trending