The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 1
cis
i m thkin whether or not i should try to find some part time job to cover de heavy cost of living in london...but then heard dat workload in imperial will be kinda heavy n basically no time in mkin money....

Yep, I can't remember if it was on an Imperial engineering brochure but I remember reading that the courses are full-time so they say that there is no time to get a part-time job and that that should be avoided.
Then again, you might be able to get a job where you work a few hours a week. I'm sure that's manageable. Then again, some people probably are capable of juggling between an engineering course and a part-time job but these probably aren't the people with the best grades. From experience, they're the people who are smart enough not to have to study for hours and hours to get a C grade but who never get the top grades though.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I've been working at the Union for a while and it hasn't affected my studies at all. The money is pretty rubbish, but the benefits are great. You can work as much or as little as you like and nobody will say anything if you need some time off for exams etc. I think the biggest downside is that you might have to work until 12 on a weekday, but you didn't want to go to bed much earlier did you? :wink:

I'll be seeing you all for freshers week :smile:
Reply 3
cis
OP
high_physics
I've been working at the Union for a while and it hasn't affected my studies at all. The money is pretty rubbish, but the benefits are great. You can work as much or as little as you like and nobody will say anything if you need some time off for exams etc. I think the biggest downside is that you might have to work until 12 on a weekday, but you didn't want to go to bed much earlier did you? :wink:

I'll be seeing you all for freshers week :smile:

well then i dun care about the money...I am just keen on gettin more experience to improve de CV :smile:
Reply 4
I update an on-line internet database, so I don't have restrictions on when I work. I've been doing this for about a year and have been told that I'm allowed to carry it on.
Reply 5
cis
well then i dun care about the money...I am just keen on gettin more experience to improve de CV :smile:

Leave that till the summer! Don't risk your grades, especially if you don't actually need the cash, I strongly recommend you don't work during term time. You should rather be aiming to do well enough on your course to apply for a summer internship program which will look much better on your CV than working in the local cinema. They also pay much better! :wink:
What RAHayden said does hold a lot of truth, there are some really good summer internships both within the college and with companies. However, if you don't care about the money and want to get some good CV points, then I'd strongly recommend a visit to the Volunteer Office in the Beit Quad (they'll have a stand at the fresher's fair too). You can volunteer as little or as much as you like with a huge range of things to do to suit your interests eg. helping musical groups, sports teams etc.
It's a great thing to do if you aren't looking for money.
Reply 7
I'm really gonna need some money, and I have to say a part-time job may be the only option.

However if I can I'm gonna depend on the summer perhaps working fulltime in an office. I am interested in Volunteering though, so expect to see me at that stand at freshers!
If anyone's really really eager, here's the link the the Volunteer Centre.
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/volunteering/

It's worth a look around to see what's available. Oh yeh, and if helping other people isn't incentive enough, they give you a free mug and pen when you register with them :smile:
Reply 9
Heh, saves me buying a mug!

Latest

Trending

Trending