The Student Room Group

Declining AS grades

Hi everyone,
as i may hav mentioned previously I'm applying and hoping to get a place at CAmb. for 2005. Unfortunately didnt do to well in AS's getting all B's :frown: . However, because my teachers hav predicted me grade a's and im actually deciding to work much more this year I thought it would still be sensible to apply.

My plan was to maybe keep the AS grades that I have and go in with my predicted grades and see if they will take me on. However, I could alternatively decline my grades at As and go into interview with solely my predicted grades.

Im not sure how cambridge colleges would view this, do u they ask ur AS grades anyway? Would they be suspicious if there was a blank?
Reply 1
decline, defo
Reply 2
Has anyone else here declined or know ppl who declined and got accepted/rejected?
Reply 3
Seth
Hi everyone,
as i may hav mentioned previously I'm applying and hoping to get a place at CAmb. for 2005. Unfortunately didnt do to well in AS's getting all B's :frown: . However, because my teachers hav predicted me grade a's and im actually deciding to work much more this year I thought it would still be sensible to apply.

My plan was to maybe keep the AS grades that I have and go in with my predicted grades and see if they will take me on. However, I could alternatively decline my grades at As and go into interview with solely my predicted grades.

Im not sure how cambridge colleges would view this, do u they ask ur AS grades anyway? Would they be suspicious if there was a blank?

They ask you to give your UMS scores for each module anyway but also whether you plan to retake any exams (if you retake, you effectively decline the grade as I retook a chem exam for AS because it was a bordeline A/B and the other two were "A"s and I wanted to make the second year as easy as possible so I could concentrate on other things). Do you plan to retake? If you are, you will have to decline the grades anyway.
Reply 4
I am planning on retaking the 3 that I'm carrying on i.e. Maths, chem and biology. Apparently, you dont have to decline your grades if you retake any more, you just keep whatever your grade is until you do the retake.

However, retakes are in January and after the final date for an application in to Cambridge which means I wouldn't neccessarily benefit from the retake grade in terms of actually getting an offer

What does evry1 think? :redface:
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice! Ive spoken to my deputy head and Ive decided to decline and see what kind of marks I get in resists. I hope this doesnt disadvantage me to badly :frown: Thanks again for the help!
Reply 6
Mib
You got Bs at AS and yet are predicted As? This system is really bizzare.

I'd apply to Oxford. Cambridge are going to see your UMS and aren't going to be impressed at all, especially when you consider that the vast majority of candidates will have solid As behind them.

oxford are less likely to look favourably on those grades. keep them make sure you references are absolutely glowing though, and just wing it. nothing to lose. cambridge are more likely to interview everyone though, without rejecting them at first glance

Latest