The Student Room Group

drugs

My friend has recently got into drugs. i know telling him to stop would annoy him and drive him away. so i accept the fact that he's doing it, and understand it's part of his growing up. But recently he's stoped talking to me as much as he used to. i know people grow apart....and if this is that then so be it. but i just want your opinion, when does an obsession with drugs stop? when your body becomes physically dependent on it and you end up in a clinic? when you accidently overdose and end up in hopsital? or more hopefully when you get bored and grow out of it?!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LinLee
My friend has recently got into drugs. i know telling him to stop would annoy him and drive him away. so i accept the fact that he's doing it, and understand it's part of his growing up. But recently he's stoped talking to me as much as he used to. i know people grow apart....and if this is that then so be it. but i just want your opinion, when does an obsession with drugs stop? when your body becomes physically dependent on it and you end up in a clinic? when you accidently overdose and end up in hopsital? or more hopefully when you get bored and grow out of it?!!!!

everyone is different. some not until they hit rock bottom. some not until they die. it would be easier to get some stats if you said what kind of drugs he is taking or do you know?
Which drugs is the person on?
LinLee

Some people just get bored of them or realise they aren't worth the monetary cost. Lots have neg effects tho (hence why illegal) even grass.
preyingmantis
Some people just get bored of them or realise they aren't worth the monetary cost. Lots have neg effects tho (hence why illegal) even grass.

yeh - have you seen the recent story lines on holloaks. I think Ali should have just belted justin tonight. Even if he gets the shit kicked out of him it'd bring the whole problem out in the open
Reply 5
hi everyone, thanks for replying.
it's anything he can get his hands on basically, but not heroin. now it's mainly e, because he cant afford coke.
i know you can get physically dependent on e, but it can have some serious long term effects, like paranoia...
oh what shall i do? should i talk to him?!
Reply 6
I'd get a professional opinion for this to be honest, someone who can be trusted, and it's confidential. Try talking it out with your friend, tell them how you feel, and that you understand that it may be what they want, but that you're worried about them. If they take no notice, go to see someone about it, get some advice from a professional or something.
Something that can help is always being there for them if they need you, so when/if they do realise they need help, stick by them.
foolfarian
yeh - have you seen the recent story lines on holloaks. I think Ali should have just belted justin tonight. Even if he gets the shit kicked out of him it'd bring the whole problem out in the open

Didn't have you down as a Hollyoaks man! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Leave your friend allown and stop being a dick. You don't even know what sort of drugs he's doing.
Reply 9
LinLee
hi everyone, thanks for replying.
it's anything he can get his hands on basically, but not heroin. now it's mainly e, because he cant afford coke.
i know you can get physically dependent on e, but it can have some serious long term effects, like paranoia...
oh what shall i do? should i talk to him?!

i speak from experiance, a couple of years ago i was doing coke on a regular basis.....in the end my best friend found out and persuaded me to go to a rehab clinic....they were really helpful and sorted me out.

If you can, persuade him to just visit one.
Bebop
Leave your friend allown and stop being a dick. You don't even know what sort of drugs he's doing.

Well you're certainly a nice, caring, understanding person.
Reply 11
Fleff
Well you're certainly a nice, caring, understanding person.

Yes it's all very well saying that, but I don't think s/he should be medeling if they don't know what they're talking about. I know from experience that it never ends well.

Don't undermine your friends intelligence. Yes there are people who should never touch drugs ever, but then there are also people who are sensible with them and understand that they aren't to be messed with without serious research and thought.

Which catagory does your friend fall into? And how old is he?
Bebop
Yes it's all very well saying that, but I don't think s/he should be medeling if they don't know what they're talking about. I know from experience that it never ends well.

And taking drugs does end well? I don't quite understand this...

Don't undermine your friends intelligence. Yes there are people who should never touch drugs ever, but then there are also people who are sensible with them and understand that they aren't to be messed with without serious research and thought.

The fact is that no matter how much research or thought they put into it, drugs have the same effect on the majority of people. If I did one hell of a lot of research into heroin it wouldn't stop the effects, it would just make me more aware.
Reply 13
Dynamite
i speak from experiance, a couple of years ago i was doing coke on a regular basis.....in the end my best friend found out and persuaded me to go to a rehab clinic....they were really helpful and sorted me out.

If you can, persuade him to just visit one.

it hasnt got that far yet. i'd say he takes e about once every two weeks. it would be more, it's just that he cant get his hands on it...and i dont think he's addicted, yet...just jaded
Reply 14
Bebop

Which catagory does your friend fall into? And how old is he?

u sound like an experienced drug taker to me...yes that's what im doing. im not meddling at all, when he tells me his drug stories, i sit there and listen. because i respect him, and respect his decisions. im just worried about it spiralling out of control...but i keep it to myself, or share it with you guys :P
Reply 15
Fleff
And taking drugs does end well? I don't quite understand this...
Oh dear, oh deary deary me! Not all drugs are going to turn your life into some sort of 'Requime for a dream' pastiche.

The fact is that no matter how much research or thought they put into it, drugs have the same effect on the majority of people. If I did one hell of a lot of research into heroin it wouldn't stop the effects, it would just make me more aware.
I agree that herion is an absolutly horrible drug but not all drugs are like that. The problem here is that the word drug covers such a wide range of different substances that have different effects and properties. It's natural to automatically think of the worst drug (heroin IMHO) and assume that's what it's like for all other substances. This is why I think the original poster should say what it is we're talking about.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you that drugs aren't bad because that would be stupid, but there are certain types of drugs that people should be allowed to decide for themselves whether to take them or not.
Reply 16
or a friend with experienced drug takers :tongue: he's 19. so he's obvioulsy going to be young and reckless, he's lucky he can act his age. i have other responsibilities...
but.. already he's changing, i guess it's just growing up
Reply 17
LinLee
u sound like an experienced drug taker to me...yes that's what im doing.

I'm not a silly addict if that's what you think.
Bebop
Oh dear, oh deary deary me! Not all drugs are going to turn your life into some sort of 'Requime for a dream' pastiche.

I know...

I agree that herion is an absolutly horrible drug but not all drugs are like that. The problem here is that the word drug covers such a wide range of different substances that have different effects and properties. It's natural to automatically think of the worst drug (heroin IMHO) and assume that's what it's like for all other substances. This is why I think the original poster should say what it is we're talking about.

I know not all drugs are like that.. We're talking about E, which, out of the most commonly known drugs, is the one I know least about.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you that drugs aren't bad because that would be stupid, but there are certain types of drugs that people should be allowed to decide for themselves whether to take them or not.

Yes, there are drugs like that, such as nicotine and caffiene. Other drugs such as Cannabis obviously do not have the same effects as heroin, but the chances are that once a person gets bored with smoking pot, they may move on to other substances, to get a 'better' experience. Which is why, if it is an illegal drug (which it is) then it surely would be much better to talk to the friend, rather than just leaving them to it.
Reply 19
Bebop
I'm not a silly addict if that's what you think.

no sorry i misread....

Latest

Trending

Trending