The Student Room Group
Reply 1
In reality, none.
Reply 2
joyabbott
In reality, none.

thats not true. i know newcastle does. but you need to do extremely well in your first year and then they going to interview you. if you failed your transfer in 1st year, you can stll try again at the end of your second year.
Reply 3
vavavoom86
thats not true. i know newcastle does. but you need to do extremely well in your first year and then they going to interview you. if you failed your transfer in 1st year, you can stll try again at the end of your second year.

Note Joys use of the word reality!

Do you know of anyone who have actually done it? It's usually unheard of in year 2 due to the divergance of the two courses.

Bradford (Clincial Science) do a course that allows people to transfer to Leeds (medicine). Both first years are exactly the same. However, it is ultra competative, and most of the Bradford course are people wanting to transfer. My friend did it, but didn't make the grade. He said the atmosphere in year one was horrid as everyone was trying to totally out compete/stab everyone else in the back! He was lucky and managed to transfer off Clin Sci into the 2nd year on Onco-biology, a course that is widely regarded in the Sci community, rather than being deemed somewhat as a failed medics degree.

There is only one reason for doing a degree that offers transfer - and it's not the transfer! You have to be happy with getting the initial degree from that institution if things don't go to plan.
Reply 4
I think there is also the opportunity to do that if you do medical genetics at leicester, or biomed at cardiff, or something at sussex but i cant rememba
this is rare tho, so dont go choosing courses cos theres a slither of a chance of transfer
Reply 5
But does anyone actually know anyone who has managed this..... probably not! I certainly don't!

The 'nearest' I have come across is a girl in my year here at Notts who started out on the pharmacy course. She decided medicine was what she wanted to do. Came more or less top in her year, reapplied via normal applications process, and started 1st year again, this time doing medicine. 1st year medics and pharmacists share a lot fo lectures, yet she was still required to start again.
Reply 6
Actually i know of someone, he used to go to my school transferred from biomed at Kings i think to medicine however this was a few years back, since then the whole medical admission thing has somewhat changed, all my 'older' medic pals agree that their was greater room for leniancy back then.
Reply 7
it's very difficult to get into med this way. my housemate's friend did biochemistry at bristol and decided in the second year that he wanted to do medicine. he tried to transfer after the second year onto first year med but they weren't having any of it. he ended up losing motivation, finishing his degree with a 2.2 - applied for graduate medicine after doing the GAMSAT (sp?) thing and he still didn't get any offers. he's now working for a top pharmaceutical firm and earning a fair bit of cash, so at least the money is a slight consolation!
Reply 8
The nearest I've come across is someone who transferred from 1st year Cambridge NatSci to the IB MVST but that's about it :redface:
Reply 9
shiny
The nearest I've come across is someone who transferred from 1st year Cambridge NatSci to the IB MVST but that's about it :redface:

Are you sure it wasnt the other way round!? :eek: Otherwise that would mean they skipped a year!!

I've seen 2nd yr NatScis become 1st Yr medics....

Latest