The Student Room Group

Anyone know of an abattoir?

Hi there, i'm a yr 13 student studying for my A-Levels. I have been trying hard to find if there is an abattoir which i could go visit in my local area. They obviously are very careful about revealing their location (and who can blame them with animal rights extremists hanging around). i live in South Bucks on the Bucks/Oxon border and the closest one i can find is one which takes only older animals and is 3 hours away (hmmm not exactly convenient) so i was wondering if anyone could help me out at all. I just want to at least visit - even a brief visit would be fine. Anyway any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Amy x
Reply 1
cattle_iamagoat
Hi there, i'm a yr 13 student studying for my A-Levels. I have been trying hard to find if there is an abattoir which i could go visit in my local area. They obviously are very careful about revealing their location (and who can blame them with animal rights extremists hanging around). i live in South Bucks on the Bucks/Oxon border and the closest one i can find is one which takes only older animals and is 3 hours away (hmmm not exactly convenient) so i was wondering if anyone could help me out at all. I just want to at least visit - even a brief visit would be fine. Anyway any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Amy x

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?startAt=0&keywords=abattoir&location=Oxfordshire&filterKeywords=&broaderLocation=&scrambleSeed=29143&companyName=&M=&mqs=&clarifyIndex=&clarifyOptions=&searchType=classic&within=
I assume that you have worked on farms and with vets - you need to have or you will not even be considered. Have you tried asking farmers and vets to recomend somewhere?
Thanks very much, those links have helped - need to do some letters now and do my best to not sound like an animal rights terrorist who just wants to case the joint.

I have talked to farmers but all the farmers i have done work experience with have been in other parts of the country and the only one in this area was a dairy farm and they send all their calves to wales when they are very young
and all the older cows need to go to a special older animals abattoir as they are over 30 months old. so a little unhelpful. But thanks you guys. If anyone has already visited one in the air that might make it easier to approach so any info on that field would be appreciated.

Otherwise i will let you know how it all goes.

Thanks again

Amy xx
cattle_iamagoat
Thanks very much, those links have helped - need to do some letters now and do my best to not sound like an animal rights terrorist who just wants to case the joint.

I have talked to farmers but all the farmers i have done work experience with have been in other parts of the country and the only one in this area was a dairy farm and they send all their calves to wales when they are very young
and all the older cows need to go to a special older animals abattoir as they are over 30 months old. so a little unhelpful. But thanks you guys. If anyone has already visited one in the air that might make it easier to approach so any info on that field would be appreciated.

Otherwise i will let you know how it all goes.

Thanks again

Amy xx

Another way in i through DEFRA - arrange to shadow a meat inspector - that's what I did - so you are not technically viewing the abbatoir.
Reply 6
platinumki
Another way in i through DEFRA - arrange to shadow a meat inspector - that's what I did - so you are not technically viewing the abbatoir.

Ditto for the FSA and the MHS.

If you can get to London, the MHS based at Smithfield might be of interest.
THANK YOU - i had not thought of that - that is a great idea - thanks very much. Grovelling . . . well not really - just being silly now - help i have a physics test tomorrow. If anyone out there does Salters Horners Physics - how patronising is it? AAAARGH.

Anyway. Thank you
again

Amy xx
platinumki

That's what I did too. It's a better way really as you are more likely to get everything explained to you :smile:

Latest