The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about going to OASC because of all the bad news stories that seem to be coming out at the moment.

Is there a specific no. of scholarships (for those applying for 6FS) offered to each branch, and do the recent cuts mean scholarships for every branch are severely limited? :frown:
Reply 1281
Scorg
That's interesting to hear, especially as Admin is the branch im looking to get into

It's a popular second choice, and a lot of chopped ATC types etc go into it. However, it's generally supply that takes a lot of people's first choice, with admin second if they're looking for a general graduate officer entry.
Reply 1282
Nikki J S
I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about going to OASC because of all the bad news stories that seem to be coming out at the moment.

Is there a specific no. of scholarships (for those applying for 6FS) offered to each branch, and do the recent cuts mean scholarships for every branch are severely limited? :frown:

Don't worry about it.

I can't remember how they structure 6FS, so I'm unsure if there's a big pile or lots of small piles by branch.

Spaces are limited in all branches, apart from a few; there's always room for fighter controllers, there's always a bit of a shortage of engineers (although there are cuts to come), but you'll be glad to know that anyone eligible for the Vicars and Tarts course is in great demand :smile:

So doctors, dentists, padres, nurses, they're crying out for. Remember, you're applying for one of only 2 branches still eligible for cadetships! If they had GPs banging down the door wanting to leave general practice for the forces, that wouldn't be the case.

Chin up; as I keep saying, SOMEONE'S got to get in. It's not just me in the RAF!
Reply 1283
OnlyOneCanOweMe
Looks like somebody has touched a nerve, or found a pet peeve.

Fair enough.

OnlyOneCanOweMe
But planes that are used in woodwork are NOT aircraft. Surely Wzz, it'd be a little uncomfortable flying around the skies, chasing the Red Baron whilst sitting on the sharp end of a wood shaving tool. I thought YOU of all people on this thread would have known that!

Ooh, you've got me out of context. But fair enough again; we fly aircraft, which are subdivided into aeroplanes and those ridiculous helicopter things.

The Red Baron's been dead for ages, by the way. However, thank you for the kind thoughts towards my comfort in the air.

OnlyOneCanOweMe
So the eye doctor might pick up my blindness even if I wear dark glasses?

Depends on whether you keep them on during the examination.

OnlyOneCanOweMe
Is that my left ear, my right ear or my final frontier?

Can be any ear you like. You'll be chucked out so fast you'll probably roll over the lot.
Reply 1284
Witty or bog standard?

So are you planning on joining the RAF, or have you spuriously decided to grace this thread with your token 3 posts so far....? :smile:
OnlyOneCanOweMe
Reparteé

Please don't become a reincarnation of Dazya!!
Wzz
Yes, but that doesn't mean you have to recruit fresh new engineers. You just lay off a lot of airman engineers, then send their previous JEngO to TCW.

For example.

I'm a little confused as to where all the Equipment Support is going to come from.
With the advent of new equipment is it all going to be under warranty repair or are there going to be a lot of dissatisfied Engineer Officers who will have to wear another hat and diversify?
I appreciate there are cutbacks and 'streamlining', but without the necessary personnel to keep the aircraft in the air and the radar arrays spinning etc, especially at first line positions, surely the whole system will eventually grind to a halt.
Perhaps my rose tinted specs are a little tainted, but I saw something very similar after Options for Change, which resulted in a massive recruiting campaign in all three of the Services.
But like you point point out Wzz, there are still folk going through IOT on a regular basis, which means there are still positions for the taking. It's just a case of being that nth degree better than required last year.
Reply 1287
REME-Bod
I'm a little confused as to where all the Equipment Support is going to come from.
With the advent of new equipment is it all going to be under warranty repair or are there going to be a lot of dissatisfied Engineer Officers who will have to wear another hat and diversify?
I appreciate there are cutbacks and 'streamlining', but without the necessary personnel to keep the aircraft in the air and the radar arrays spinning etc, especially at first line positions, surely the whole system will eventually grind to a halt.
Perhaps my rose tinted specs are a little tainted, but I saw something very similar after Options for Change, which resulted in a massive recruiting campaign in all three of the Services.
But like you point point out Wzz, there are still folk going through IOT on a regular basis, which means there are still positions for the taking. It's just a case of being that nth degree better than required last year.

Your guess is as good as mine. I have very little contact with EngOs on a day-to-day basis, so I have no idea what's going to happen to their branch. It's only popular rumour that they, along with suppliers, will take the brunt of any cuts.

I've no doubt this will eventually go the same way as the defence reviews in the 90s. We'll cut, we'll realise we've over-cut, and today's 18-19 year olds will be joining as direct entry graduates quite happy with themselves.

But I should probably wind my neck in with regards to cuts; they've not announced exactly how many or in what branches. Maybe they'll come along and decide to dispose of some young pilots; and I'll be a little on the unhappy side!

As you point out though, there're still spaces at IOT. Someone's got to fill them..
Wzz

But I should probably wind my neck in with regards to cuts; they've not announced exactly how many or in what branches. Maybe they'll come along and decide to dispose of some young pilots; and I'll be a little on the unhappy side!

But there's always a silver lining...

You get made redundant with a handsome payoff, but on your CV you have "Fast Jet Pilot and all-round Good Guy"

You spend two years cruising the world, recounting your days as a war veteran to any good looking girl who'll listen

The MoD realise the error of their ways and start a massive recruiting campaign (again!)

You turn up, flash your CV and Ultrabrite (TM) smile and get a fantastic Golden Hello to return to your job because the RAF won't have to go to the expense of paying for your training.

You keep you seniority, pension and fast track promotion, and in the meantime, some shiny-arse civil servant in Whitehall keeps his job.

And if all else fails, you could re-apply as a gunner.

And if that fails, there's always the REME. :wink:
As a matter of interest, is there any difference other than commital time between Short Service and Direct Entry commissions? Be it promotion prospects, postings, or even just attitudes in the mess.
Reply 1290
REME-Bod
But there's always a silver lining...

You get made redundant with a handsome payoff, but on your CV you have "Fast Jet Pilot and all-round Good Guy"

You spend two years cruising the world, recounting your days as a war veteran to any good looking girl who'll listen

The MoD realise the error of their ways and start a massive recruiting campaign (again!)

You turn up, flash your CV and Ultrabrite (TM) smile and get a fantastic Golden Hello to return to your job because the RAF won't have to go to the expense of paying for your training.

You keep you seniority, pension and fast track promotion, and in the meantime, some shiny-arse civil servant in Whitehall keeps his job.

And if all else fails, you could re-apply as a gunner.

And if that fails, there's always the REME. :wink:

Well, not a bad plan. Except that in my two years of travelling the world, I don't have any actual war experience to tell all these good looking girls, and it'd be a couple of years without any flying :rolleyes:

However, the undoubted backtracking by the MOD followed by awesome re-recruitment and retention initiatives doesn't sound bad.

Hopefully I'll avoid any further culls, and just be sitting here with all my qualifications reading for another £50k retention bonus when they realise how many aircrew we actually need....
Reply 1291
REME-Bod
As a matter of interest, is there any difference other than commital time between Short Service and Direct Entry commissions? Be it promotion prospects, postings, or even just attitudes in the mess.

I've never sat on a promotion board, but I imagine that you'll probably be looked on less favourably if you're in competition with people the same age but have less time to serve.

Could be totally wrong; I imagine there's actually probably some rules stopping them from doing that.

No difference at all as far as postings and mess attitudes go. Actually, SSCs seem more common than PCs in some branches; tend to be graduates wanting a bit of military experience to take to some city banks!
Wzz

Check your PM's

thanks

ram
Wzz

...tend to be graduates wanting a bit of military experience to take to some city banks!

... And must do three years minimum service in order to get their hefty dowry. (Well, that's how it is with the Cavalry, what what!)
Wzz
I've never sat on a promotion board, but I imagine that you'll probably be looked on less favourably if you're in competition with people the same age but have less time to serve.

Could be totally wrong; I imagine there's actually probably some rules stopping them from doing that.

No difference at all as far as postings and mess attitudes go. Actually, SSCs seem more common than PCs in some branches; tend to be graduates wanting a bit of military experience to take to some city banks!

Officers on SSC's are not eligible for promotion to Sqn Ldr unless they agree to move to a PC.
Reply 1295
There you are then. That's me proving it's been a long time since I selected my commission, and showing that none of my peers have been promoted yet!
Reply 1296
REME-Bod
... And must do three years minimum service in order to get their hefty dowry. (Well, that's how it is with the Cavalry, what what!)

Well, 6 years in our little service, 12 if you're aircrew.

As an aside for aircrew candidates picking their length of commission, if you're a graduate, while you're signed up until your 38/16 point, you also have a "graduate option" after 12 years' service. So there's no point in going for an SSC.....?
Reply 1297
AARRGH

Anyone else waiting for OASC results. The waiting is killing me!!

:biggrin: :confused: :eek:
nik01
AARRGH

Anyone else waiting for OASC results. The waiting is killing me!!

:biggrin: :confused: :eek:

Because I go to OASC just before Xmas leave, I don't think they'll be in too much of a hurry to process all the applicants. So guess what I'll be thinking about all over Christmas and New YeaR. :frown:
Reply 1299
REME-Bod
Because I go to OASC just before Xmas leave, I don't think they'll be in too much of a hurry to process all the applicants. So guess what I'll be thinking about all over Christmas and New YeaR. :frown:

Mate,

How long have you served in the Army?
Why are you thinking of changing to the RAF? :confused:

Latest