The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

if taxes were increased on high earners what would the money be spent on?
Reply 21
am writing essay on tragedy - brain is shot and time is precious. My apology in advance)

Well, I like the way British law can adapt and change with the times. Constitutions are not easily undone and I certainly do not like the idea that one generation's ideals should be enforced upon all subsequent people.

More was supposed to be coming but it all.. kind of... trickled out of my ears and my brain started to get full with ... <scribbles stuff down> tragedy.

Oh an I have Villon and DuBellay to do. Pants. I forgot about that.
Reply 22
I like the idea of mandatory voting (is it Belgium?) as long as you have an "I wish to vote for noone" option (like they do).
Reply 23
blissy
I like the idea of mandatory voting (is it Belgium?) as long as you have an "I wish to vote for noone" option (like they do).

I like that idea two, it could be integreated with mandatory blood donation. :biggrin:
Reply 24
piginapoke
Absolutely. Low percentage turnouts means democracy is a mockery.

Exactly. I agree with some of the things you are saying. Democracy seems to be more of an elected "dictatorship" seeing as they have free reign for 4 years and we cannot do anything about specific policies/bills/laws (I don't know the right word, I don't do law!). I suppose that's the problem with the party system. Tories are the evil of evils, but they don't support top-up fees - that does not mean I'm going to vote for them!

What am I jabbering on about? LOL.
If i was Prime Minister i would be the a liberal democrat leader of a greatly improved country which has become even more liberal than it is now
Reply 26
piginapoke
Are you Charles Kennedy?

His idealistic speech with no real substance would suggest so...
piginapoke
Are you Charles Kennedy?

Close - i am his successor
Reply 28
Kurdt Morello
Close - i am his successor

Do you plan on actually getting somewhere?
Reply 29
blissy
am writing essay on tragedy - brain is shot and time is precious. My apology in advance)

Well, I like the way British law can adapt and change with the times. Constitutions are not easily undone and I certainly do not like the idea that one generation's ideals should be enforced upon all subsequent people.

More was supposed to be coming but it all.. kind of... trickled out of my ears and my brain started to get full with ... <scribbles stuff down> tragedy.

Oh an I have Villon and DuBellay to do. Pants. I forgot about that.

That's the biggest argument against a written constitution; that it is inflexible. Very true of the American constitution which is written in such a way as to make ammendment very difficult indeed.

Of course the contrary viewpoint is that an entrenched constitution guarantees rights that cannot be readily eroded.

Pay your money and take your choice!
Joey_Johns
I would seriosously consider bringing back the cane. A career in teaching would be much more appealing :biggrin:

HaHa, that's not a very nice thing to say :mad:
Reply 31
blissy

Australia has mandatory voting. I'm not sure if democracy is automatically any more healthy for it though.

If one disaffected voter votes for Party x and another Party y then these votes would just cancel one another out. And of course the "non of the above" votes wouldn't count anyway.
Reply 32
I know it sounds bad, but a lot of people just can't be bothered to get out of their armchairs! If I had to vote for someone I would give more than a cursory glance at the political parties and politics in general. The good example of voting would be passed on to children and encourage political activism and a pride in democracy and a true appreciation of the right to vote.

Or at least, that is my optimistic opinion.
Reply 33
blissy

Why bother then?
Reply 34
jammyd
Why bother then?

I explained in my last post about a good example for children etc. You can't have democracy where there is no choice to opt-out, but I think this choice should also be formally registered.

edit: p.s. before you say "aaaa secret ballot", I'm sure you're clever enough to understand my gist :smile:
Reply 35
blissy
I know it sounds bad, but a lot of people just can't be bothered to get out of their armchairs! If I had to vote for someone I would give more than a cursory glance at the political parties and politics in general. The good example of voting would be passed on to children and encourage political activism and a pride in democracy and a true appreciation of the right to vote.

Or at least, that is my optimistic opinion.

Certainly makes some sense from the "encourage political activism and a pride in democracy and a true appreciation of the right to vote" point of view.
Reply 36
blissy
I explained in my last post about a good example for children etc. You can't have democracy where there is no choice to opt-out, but I think this choice should also be formally registered.

edit: p.s. before you say "aaaa secret ballot", I'm sure you're clever enough to understand my gist :smile:

Yes, very good.

Ooops, sorry, I didn't read your last post.
Reply 37
Kurdt Morello
If i was Prime Minister i would be the a liberal democrat leader of a greatly improved country which has become even more liberal than it is now

The lib dems are officially a joke - they can't make their minds up on their policies and have a different policy for every constituency!
jammyd
The lib dems are officially a joke - they can't make their minds up on their policies and have a different policy for every constituency!

i'll do for them what Blair did for Labour - someone meet me in a coffee shop and we'll discuss it!
Reply 39
Kurdt Morello
i'll do for them what Blair did for Labour - someone meet me in a coffee shop and we'll discuss it!

Ha ha - get your soapbox ready - you'll need it!

Latest