The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

amexblack
My housemaster told me about a latin teacher at some northern prep school that used to force students to take off a piece of clothing for each wrong answer they got in a test.

Probably Stonyhurst or Ampleforth, sounds about right.
Reply 21
hey..I echo what Richard/Rowan said..I went on it last year too - Econ+Pol - one of the best things i've done - great bunch of people - hey guys (its Raj) :-)
Reply 22
I have got a choral scholarship, and neither myself nor anyone else who applied to my college had gone on any course!
Reply 23
PhilB
I have got a choral scholarship, and neither myself nor anyone else who applied to my college had gone on any course!

Which college are you going to be singing at?
Reply 24
i want to sing at Clare :biggrin: do you helenia?
Reply 25
jamierwilliams
i want to sing at Clare :biggrin: do you helenia?

I wish. :rolleyes:

Clare choir is of scarily good quality. Unless you're a choral scholar, they probably won't be interested. They didn't even audition volunteers this year :frown:
Reply 26
well....im taking grade 8 singing very soon and hope to get distinction (fingers-crossed) and want to apply for a choral scholarships.....i hope i get in..........also, if you dont get through the choral scholarship do they automatically reject you for you subject or biased at all?
Joey_Johns
Probably Stonyhurst or Ampleforth, sounds about right.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

The ironic thing is this is probably nearer the truth than one might at first assume.
Reply 28
jamierwilliams
well....im taking grade 8 singing very soon and hope to get distinction (fingers-crossed) and want to apply for a choral scholarships.....i hope i get in..........also, if you dont get through the choral scholarship do they automatically reject you for you subject or biased at all?

Well in that case you'll stand a much better chance than I did! Go for the choral scholarship - no, it doesn't affect your academic place, although you can only hold a scholarship if you have an academic place, obviously.
Reply 29
Helenia
Which college are you going to be singing at?

I got into Univ. To be fair though a fair number of the applicants were part of their county choir (myself excluded). A lot of them were also in county orchestras.
Reply 30
PhilB
I got into Univ. To be fair though a fair number of the applicants were part of their county choir (myself excluded). A lot of them were also in county orchestras.

I see. I don't know what standard your college choir is though, as the most famous Oxford ones are Christ Church and New College, but Clare is one of the top Cambridge ones, and the scholarships are very hard to get. Most of the people in scholarships were either in NYC or were cathedral choristers and had been since they were about 6.
Reply 31
rajeeb
hey..I echo what Richard/Rowan said..I went on it last year too - Econ+Pol - one of the best things i've done - great bunch of people - hey guys (its Raj) :-)

Awite mate! Hows it goin? How come this posting has turned into a discussion about choral scholarships eh? Boring! Hope you're alright mate. Off to oxbridge?
Reply 32
hildabeast
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

The ironic thing is this is probably nearer the truth than one might at first assume.

It is actually the truth, my housemaster wouldn't have told me if he didn't know it was true.. he's not into gossip or BS.
Reply 33
mast3486
Awite mate! Hows it goin? How come this posting has turned into a discussion about choral scholarships eh? Boring! Hope you're alright mate. Off to oxbridge?

good good thanks...yup..fingers crossed...if I get AAA i'll be off to Jesus College for E+M (Clare - don't know if you remember her..she did Geog on the course has got a place too - AAB..for geography!)
how bout ya self? talk about thread hijacking...lol...turned into a choral thread!
Reply 34
What is the eton summer school and how to u contact them??

Thanx
amexblack
It is actually the truth, my housemaster wouldn't have told me if he didn't know it was true.. he's not into gossip or BS.

She was laughing because it is true, she lives about 10-15 mins away from Stonyhurst;

http://www.polfed.org/magazine/05_2003/05_2002_libel.htm
And then for ampleforth:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1011892,00.html

Take no notice of it saying Ampleforth is the premier catholic school, thats bs, Stonyhurst is. I went to both, I should know. I'm actually quite surprised it made that claim seen as there are a lot of ex stonyhurst pupils working for the times at the mo.
Reply 37
Joey_Johns
And then for ampleforth:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1011892,00.html

Take no notice of it saying Ampleforth is the premier catholic school, thats bs, Stonyhurst is. I went to both, I should know. I'm actually quite surprised it made that claim seen as there are a lot of ex stonyhurst pupils working for the times at the mo.

emmmmm... interesting story... makes u think really... did u get abused(emmm one wonders wot kinda abuse it was) by the monks then?? hehehe
bOdOING2
emmmmm... interesting story... makes u think really... did u get abused(emmm one wonders wot kinda abuse it was) by the monks then?? hehehe

Fortunatly no. But I did go into the infamous tree house mentioned on the article about Stonyhurst.
Reply 39
bOdOING2
What is the eton summer school and how to u contact them??

Thanx

go on www.etoncollege.com and click on Summer Courses...then on Universities Summer School...unfortunately I think you've missed the deadline for this year - it was 1st March :-(

Latest

Trending

Trending