The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
H&E
A friend of mine, rejected by Oxford for E&M, is considering rejecting the offer he received from LSE to read Economics in order to reapply to Oxford. Does anyone agree that doing this would be absolutely insane?

I think he'll see sense eventually...but the deadline's very soon and he's really dragging his heels.

I think he's taking on more of a risk than I'd be prepared to. Personally I'd be doing a cartwheel if I was ever offered a place at LSE to read economics. I guess some people are never satisfied.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
If he got rejected once for the same course @ Oxford he's likely to get rejected again!
AND if he Decline LSE's offer now NEXT yr he's likely to be rejected by LSE.

The universities know who has applied to them b4....They keep the records for this sort of thing.
Reply 3
that is idiotic.
if he is obsessed enough with the name of 'oxford' to give up an excellent education at LSE in the [vain] hope of getting accepted at oxford, he deserves to fall on his ass and be rejected by both next year.
Reply 4
To be fair this guy might have other reasons for not wanting to go to LSE. I personally couldn't afford to/wouldn't want to study in London. It might be that he just really fell in love with Oxford as a place, but E&M is the most competitive of all the unergrad courses. Rather him than me...
Reply 5
hildabeast
To be fair this guy might have other reasons for not wanting to go to LSE. I personally couldn't afford to/wouldn't want to study in London. It might be that he just really fell in love with Oxford as a place, but E&M is the most competitive of all the unergrad courses. Rather him than me...
not wanting to sound biasd on the subject, but if he decides to take a year out and does something useful with it he mite get in, some do, n its not like the other unis will hold it against him, they cant prove it was an oxbridge candidate who wanted another go. however he better write something on his ucas form like i decided 2 take a gap year 2 learn more about economics, having worked for bla bla. n if hes going 2 gap he better sort something out pretty quickly
Reply 6
hildabeast

living in london can be affordable if your expectations are reasonable and you put enough time in looking for a place. if worse came to worse he could get a part-time job at the students union...
i think that if he is turning down the chance to study economics at LSE, he doesn't have a genuine interest in economics and is more into doing economics and management <i>at oxford</i> than studying economics dot com.
sure, you can have preferences in terms of location but london is not the kalahari desert or siberia and the academic benefits in the field of economics of studying at LSE surely outweigh the costs.
Reply 7
I also goet rejected by oxford e&m and also got a place in LSE. I went to LSE yesterday for the open day and frankly i am happy a LSE. The course at oxford din't siut me anyway and i'm not really into old buildings. I considered it too. However it would be very very risky. If this person is going for prestige then they should get over it. LSe is just as good for economics and arguably better. Anyway the people that matter i.e. employers etc know that it is good and is in the same regard. It is also well known in USA and Asia.

There would be not point in doing it unless there are other good universities that he/she has not applied to and would consider going to if that person gets rejected too. cos If u reject LSE u won't get a second chance. There was on average 15 applicants per place at LSE and Econ being the most oversubscribe ad about 25 application per place. So make sure this person knows the sacrifice. I applied for all the good ones for econ already so i can't risk doing it again unless i apply to bath aswell which is the only other good uni i did not apply to.

However if ur friend is determined then i recommend trying Cambridge instead cos this person will probably have a beeter chance. Too be honest if ur friend was really good enough and oxford really wantewd her, they would have offered her a deffred entry like my friend got a few years ago. Also if she gets rejected from Ox again then she will probably regret not trying Cambridge. Was ur friend pooled? if so, then ur friend may have a higher chance cos it showed that she was borrderline.

The best plan is to get ur friend to accept LSE and then aske them to try to deffer her entry for another year. Then next yrear re-appply, so if u do fail u still have LSE. But don't let LSE know that u r doing this cos this is extremely naughty.
Reply 8
couldnt he just defer his LSE acceptance to next year? I know you can for Masters courses - not sure about Undergrad.
Reply 9
H&E
A friend of mine, rejected by Oxford for E&M, is considering rejecting the offer he received from LSE to read Economics in order to reapply to Oxford. Does anyone agree that doing this would be absolutely insane?

I think he'll see sense eventually...but the deadline's very soon and he's really dragging his heels.

yes he is insane
H&E

Considering LSE is as good as Oxford for Economics, yes.
bono
Considering LSE is as good as Oxford for Economics, yes.

Oxford is not as distingushed for economics as the LSE is.
Reply 12
Sanctus
Oxford is not as distingushed for economics as the LSE is.

I agree to a certain extent only.
It is true that LSE is a world class institution for the social sciences but it just cannot compete with the Oxford brand name internationally.
I got an offer from both for postgrad and believe you me Oxford will make the diffrence.I agree that it is silly, but you will never change people perceptions.
Oxford is above LSE and might remain like thsi forever. It annoys a lot of peopl but honnestly do you know a lot of people who would reject Oxford for the LSE ( This comes from a professor in the Finance and Economics Master who is my father's best friend...).
H&E

There isn't really such a deadline -- he can still put down LSE and decline after results day if he still feels like it then.
Trader007
I agree to a certain extent only.
It is true that LSE is a world class institution for the social sciences but it just cannot compete with the Oxford brand name internationally.
I got an offer from both for postgrad and believe you me Oxford will make the diffrence.I agree that it is silly, but you will never change people perceptions.
Oxford is above LSE and might remain like thsi forever. It annoys a lot of peopl but honnestly do you know a lot of people who would reject Oxford for the LSE ( This comes from a professor in the Finance and Economics Master who is my father's best friend...).

Why are you such an awful clown? If this is an example of your powers of reasoning, or your knowledge of universities, you really are in trouble..
Reply 15
and why are you such an ignorant teenager?

I have spent some years in these universities and I know what I am talking about. I suggest you visit these websites:
www.ox.ac.uk
www.lse.ac.uk

you will then be able to follow a little bit more.

W.A.S Hewins
Why are you such an awful clown? If this is an example of your powers of reasoning, or your knowledge of universities, you really are in trouble..
Reply 16
He would be crazy to do so. Firstly, a pure economics degree teaches many more skills (abstraction, logic, mathematics, statistics) than E&M, secondly, LSE's economics research is /way/ ahead of Oxford's. If you asked economists all over the world, I'm sure that 90% would prefer LSE to Oxford. Oxford has a big name, but not much substance in economics.
Reply 17
Best of luck no matter what happens...personally, I think that guy is taking a really big risk, but what's that SAS saying: "who dares wins."
Alexander
There isn't really such a deadline -- he can still put down LSE and decline after results day if he still feels like it then.

Yeah, I'd do that. Who knows, he may change his mind. But if he really loves oxford that much...
Trader007
and why are you such an ignorant teenager?

I have spent some years in these universities and I know what I am talking about. I suggest you visit these websites:
www.ox.ac.uk
www.lse.ac.uk

you will then be able to follow a little bit more.

Look, I agree that Oxford is better known, but the gap is closing all the time, as LSE becomes more and more famous(remember it's only been there a fraction of the time of Oxford has been in existence).

Latest

Trending

Trending