The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Wicca

Scroll to see replies

DivineComedy
Teehee, proper bo'! Shamanism is actually a very ancient and interesting form of paganism, where shamans can dance, take mind altering drugs and go into trances foretelling events etc. And no, not just like your mate Ed on a Friday night at the nightclub... :rolleyes:

Lolol. That joke really does echo reality - I know a few wide-boys called Ed.
sashh
I'd agree DO NOT TOUCH A OUIJA BOARD.

As for casting spells, the following is a true event, take it as a spell, coincidence, a bit of a laugh, whatever:

I always put a dab of begamot oil on my cheque book to help my finances (tree hugging hippie as my friends call me). Anyway some friends were taking the piss out of me for this and so I go out the bergamot oil and we all put some on our wallets/purses.

At the time I was being taken to court for £10 000.00, my friends were trying to sell their house and the girl of the couple was setting up a business making wedding tiaras, the final friend had the usual credit card debt students have.

Two days later the couple sold their house for the asking price in cash to a couple who owned a wedding shop and who were interested in buying my friend's tiaras.

Within the week the Bank dropped their case against me and wrote off the debt.

The final friend didn't recieve a credit card statement for 6 months.

BTW you can buy bergamot oil at the Bodyshop

I think there's more to what you say that meets the eye :smile: Besides, even for a bank to drop a case of £10k must have SOME implications!
Reply 22
Ryoku
im kinda studding wicca, but it's very hard considering im the only person i know in my area who is interested. Wicca is actuall relativly recent, for a religion anyway. Kind of a rebirth of paganism, remodled for the currant age. Very interested in these conferences that ave been mentioned, where are they, when and how much to go?

I've also been under the impression that wicca is quite a recent thing. Isn't it regarded as a 'new age' belief? I can't claim to be an expert at all though.
Reply 23
M.M.
I've also been under the impression that wicca is quite a recent thing. Isn't it regarded as a 'new age' belief? I can't claim to be an expert at all though.

Wicca is quite a recently formed religion in the sense that it hasn't been recognised as a religion for that long. But the following of the sabbaths and the kind of "circle of life" trying not to sound like the lion king is pre christian and I believe is based on the pagan beliefs when they worshiped the sun and earth because it bought them life through agriculture. So wicca is a modern religion based on pre christian ideas.
Dude
They believe they can cast spells. :rolleyes:

Well, if they have the innate ability, some actually can.
You'd be surprised how accurate some of these things are, although most who follow them don't have a clue, and certainly can't cast spells as such.
Reply 25
Innate ability? To what? Impossibly change situations? You can't have innate ability to do the impossible. :rolleyes:
Reply 26
And if anyone says anything along the lines of "don't underestimate the power of positive thinking" I'm going to scream.
Reply 27
piginapoke
I don't see why people are buying this stuff if its based on extremely outdated ideas. It being old does not make it any more true or worthy, in fact, you could argue that being extremely old and dreamt up by people who had not much idea of how things actually work means its a load of rubbish. Most other religions have been updated ro reflect advancements, what is the purpose of harking back to the days of ignorance?

I don't think it being old does make it good, I like the freedom it gives you and the ideals of the religion in general. It is more to do with the circle of life and death that everything alive goes through in life on one scale or another.
Reply 28
<lives near the New Age capital of Britain* and is saturated with this kind of... stuff>

*or at least, that's what I call it.
Reply 29
piginapoke
Where you draw your personal inspiration from is your business; however I don't buy ancient ideas that have long been superceded.

Like I said before wicca is a modern religion it just has elements of the old pre-christian pagan beliefs. On the other hand in my view just because something is old doesn't make it untrue any more than it makes it true.
Reply 30
piginapoke
Yes age doesn't make it untrue, how can we ever be certain of the truth of such things? I would say the fact that its long been generally abandoned casts doubts on it though.

We aren't going to agree on this. However one of the main reasons for the general abandoment of pagan rituals ect was the introduction of Christian beliefs in Europe which were not done in the more pleasent way.
Reply 31
randdom
Like I said before wicca is a modern religion it just has elements of the old pre-christian pagan beliefs. On the other hand in my view just because something is old doesn't make it untrue any more than it makes it true.

SO the "humours" and phlebotomy are just as relevant, even though they have been disproved?
Reply 32
blissy
SO the "humours" and phlebotomy are just as relevant, even though they have been disproved?

I was just pointing out that saying something is deffinately untrue just because it is old is not correct. Just as saying that because something is old it is deffinately correct.
Reply 33
it hard to find out bout wicca i mean u can buy books + go on internet sites, but theres so much conflicting infomation out there how do u know whos tellin the truth
Reply 34
blissy
Innate ability? To what? Impossibly change situations? You can't have innate ability to do the impossible. :rolleyes:

Everyone knows that Paul Daniels is the only real magician. He had the innate ability to magikify (George Dubya word) Debbie McGee into marrying a 4 foot troll. :smile:
Reply 35
mmmmmmmmm not that his £millions had anything to do with it.
Reply 36
out of interest, seeing as everyone seems to mention paganism- isnt every non-christian a pagan?
Reply 37
no.

Do you think Jews and Muslims are Pagan?
Reply 38
sashh
no.

Do you think Jews and Muslims are Pagan?

It is not a question of what i think- it is a question of what the word means- some dictionaries define it as any non-christian person, others as any who do not worship the islamic, jewish or christian god- I was wondering how these people who call themselves pagans would define the word pagan
Reply 39
The Oxford English Dictionary difines Pagan as: -

· n. a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.
· adj. of or relating to pagans or their beliefs.
DERIVATIVES paganish adj. paganism n. paganize (also paganise) v.
ORIGIN ME: from L. paganus ‘villager, rustic’, from pagus ‘country district’; L. paganus also meant ‘civilian’, becoming, in Christian L., ‘heathen’.

That's good enough for me.

Latest