The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you know that stealing post from a post-box is treason? Due to mail counting as the Queen's property, stealing post is effectively stealing from the Queen. Hence, until 5 years ago, raiding a post-box was a crime punishable by death.
Reply 2
byb3
Don't want to sound patronising but,

I've read plenty of posts of people saying you can be executed for
treason etc.., but this was abolished 5 years ago! You can't be executed for a single crime in the UK! However you can be made to feel VERY uncomfortable. Unless your a libyan terrorist..

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/action/camp/dp/intro/uk.html

Adam

If David Davies has his way he'll bring back capital punishment. Wonder what MH would say about that - bet he's delighted!
Reply 3
Mr White
Did you know that stealing post from a post-box is treason? Due to mail counting as the Queen's property, stealing post is effectively stealing from the Queen. Hence, until 5 years ago, raiding a post-box was a crime punishable by death.

No I didn't know that Mr White. You have made my day!
Reply 4
byb3
No I didn't know that Mr White. You have made my day!

Yes, it is interesting.

I have a theory - if all mail is the Queen's property, then if I posted a big bag of marajuana, could I get her arrested for possession?
Reply 5
Mr White

Isn't that just so pathetic?
Reply 6
Isn't dressing up as a Chelsea pensioner an offence where they could kill you for it.
Reply 7
G4ry
Isn't dressing up as a Chelsea pensioner an offence where they could kill you for it.

Used to be. Now is just punished by a fine.
Reply 8
G4ry

could somebody explain to me exactly what a chelsea pensioner is? What special status etc...

No 'pensioners from Chelsea' thanks..
Reply 9
byb3
could somebody explain to me exactly what a chelsea pensioner is? What special status etc...

No 'pensioners from Chelsea' thanks..

A Chelsea Pensioner is a veteran from WW1.
Reply 10
Mr White
A Chelsea Pensioner is a veteran from WW1.

cheers for clearing that up.
Reply 11
I'm suprised the law was still in place until so recently.
Isn't sticking a stamp on a letter the wrong way treason?

Anyway, they only ever gave out death penalties for "High Treason", right? Which was killing people, trying to kill people or sleeping with the King's Maiden or something.
Reply 13
yawn1
If David Davies has his way he'll bring back capital punishment. Wonder what MH would say about that - bet he's delighted!

hes against it.

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com
Reply 14
byb3
Don't want to sound patronising but,

I've read plenty of posts of people saying you can be executed for
treason etc.., but this was abolished 5 years ago! You can't be executed for a single crime in the UK! However you can be made to feel VERY uncomfortable. Unless your a libyan terrorist..

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/action/camp/dp/intro/uk.html

Adam

You cannot be executed for treason, however, I thought it was possible to be executed for regicide?
Reply 15
The death penalty was mostly abolished in something like 1956 (dont quote me on that,) but up untill 1998 in theory you could be hung for either treason or piracy (theft of a ship on international waters.)

Shen
Reply 16
Mr White

Still bloody should be. There is no reason to raid a post box. Bunch of tossers interfering with mail possibly on it's way to me.
Reply 17
Tednol
Still bloody should be. There is no reason to raid a post box. Bunch of tossers interfering with mail possibly on it's way to me.

know what you mean where are all my offers, damn those looters
Reply 18
vienna95

David Davis, you mean?

He is definately for it.
Reply 19
Lord Huntroyde
David Davis, you mean?

He is definately for it.

i think she meant the new troy leader was his name, (unless you were being ironic lol)

Latest

Trending

Trending