The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Okay. This is what I can remember doing:

Analogy between Chinese Room and Computer because the computer doesn't understand language
Cannot be infered about the Human Mind - knowledgeable

Sport these days arouses something or other

Women aren't encouraged to think

And the one about single sex education is the only other question I remember - I can't remember the specific answers though, but I remember thinking they were easy.

More will come to me sooner....
Reply 21
Hey, got the same answers as you for those questions. Hopefully we're right!
Reply 22
goldenbarnes
BUT - WTF is a canon??? :confused:

A canon is a rule/principle/law. Often, but not always, used in the context of Christianity. Apparently.
Reply 23
I think the word 'canon' used in the text you're reffering to means 'a body of writings' (not that I knew at the time).

Best of luck with the results
muncrun
A canon is a rule/principle/law. Often, but not always, used in the context of Christianity. Apparently.

Ecclesiastical law? :tongue:
http://www.ecclawsoc.org.uk/
Reply 25
NDGAARONDI
Which is the main....? :tongue: .

:biggrin:

NDGAARONDI
I wrote two pages with small handwriting typically on the first question..

Thats alright.. :smile:

NDGAARONDI
I felt that they could have chosen more interesting passages to read, more like the topics you see in critical thinking. Also some of the paragraphs were too long. If we wrote that in an essay or something we'd be told to cut it down.

Yeah, I agree. I would have thought a big topic would turn up such as fox hunting etc. but noooo why would we want to do that? :biggrin:
Misbah Imtiaz
Yeah, I agree. I would have thought a big topic would turn up such as fox hunting etc. but noooo why would we want to do that? :biggrin:

Or gay marriages, abortion, euthanasia, recent court cases etc.
Reply 27
NDGAARONDI
Or gay marriages, abortion, euthanasia, recent court cases etc.

regional assemblies, animal rights, smoking in public....
I thought the whole point of reading the broadsheets was because they were going to ask about the recent issues in the news?
Reply 28
goldenbarnes

Analogy between Chinese Room and Computer because the computer doesn't understand language

And the one about single sex education is the only other question I remember - I can't remember the specific answers though, but I remember thinking they were easy.

Q.1 was based on Computer Intelligence - (the whole concept of not being able to understand it and following instructions.....) I think this has something to do with it http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/...d89.searle.html
And this is what I can vaguely remember what was in the rest of it....
- english literature, victorian times
- single sex classes
- women and aspirations
- the ideal and the actual
- the cannon
Reply 29
goldenbarnes

No please don't, you'll scare the hell into me if i look at what you put as answers!! I can't stand to think how bad i've done if everyone else has got the same answers :frown:
Reply 30
Saagar
No please don't, you'll scare the hell into me if i look at what you put as answers!! I can't stand to think how bad i've done if everyone else has got the same answers :frown:

Don't worry - I haven't got the same answers either :smile:
goldenbarnes

I thought the human mind one was 'creative'
Reply 32
[I actually did this in the morning (i.e. 6:30PM in Hong Kong), but the forums were down...]
Found the Chinese Room question hard (even though I somewhat learned his ideas- REALLY somewhat- in Psychology)
That literature question, i did it by instinct (looked at answers which fundamentally didn't seem correct)
Same with that utilitarianism thing (did it with my knowledge in RS, not really through the passage)
Easy questions, IMO, are: the sport, single-sex questions
Reply 33
I thought the utilitarian one would be difficult for most (I found it alright since I have covered the concepts before). The Chaucer/Eng Lit question was good for me too - since I have studied his books. There was also another one by George Orwell (extract on sport) which was okay.
Reply 34
tomcoolinguk
I thought the human mind one was 'creative'

I couple of people I know put that. I thought the passage didn't infer that the human mind had knowledge because it said it didn't understand what it was answering etc. But I don't know, out of interest, why did you put creative?
Reply 35
I said women didn't "achieve their potential." Or whatever that option was. I believed they were "thinking" as they held the aspirations but did not "achieve " them...

Geez, thinking the scores will be very low overall.
Dreama
I said women didn't "achieve their potential." Or whatever that option was. I believed they were "thinking" as they held the aspirations but did not "achieve " them...

Geez, thinking the scores will be very low overall.

Dreama... I put the same, and had the same thought process as you :tongue:

Jason
Reply 37
At no point did it infer that women were actively "discouraged from thinking", per sé, as it stipulated that women were permitted the "magic sphere" as an outlet for their aspirations and ideals. Rather, it seemed to suggest that they were being repressed - discouraged from turning these ideals into anything resembling a reality by the rigours of domestic life, and thus discouraged from fulfilling the potential of their aspirations. That women were correspondingly "incapable of achieving their potential" therefore struck me as being the main focus of the article.

As for the "human mind" question, it is probably possible to argue that the writer's view could not be described as "creative", inasmuch as it would be feasible to argue that it was not "flexible", either; they expect you to deduce the least plausible of a number of options. His passage certainly conveyed a belief regarding the workings of the human mind, and that belief may or may not have had some scientific grounding, but no such knowledge was cited in evidence of his beliefs. He did state categorically that 'the human mind cannot be separated from the knowledge within it' in order to refute the analogy, but he certainly didn't justify it. If my memory serves me, that is.

I found the 'Utilitarian' question easiest: the question went something like 'Which of the following ideas is not expressed in the passage?'; I answered 'Retributive punishment takes society into account', because the writer used societal consideration to characterise retributive punishment as distinct from utilitarian punishment. However, I'm beginning to think that it was deceptively unambiguous; these sorts of questions usually are :mad:
Profesh
At no point did it infer that women were actively "discouraged from thinking", per sé, as it stipulated that women were permitted the "magic sphere" as an outlet for their aspirations and ideals. Rather, it seemed to suggest that they were being repressed - discouraged from turning these ideals into anything resembling a reality by the rigours of domestic life, and thus discouraged from fulfilling the potential of their aspirations. That women were correspondingly "incapable of achieving their potential" therefore struck me as being the main focus of the article.

As for the "human mind" question, it is probably possible to argue that the writer's view could not be described as "creative", inasmuch as it would be feasible to argue that it was not "flexible", either; they expect you to deduce the least plausible of a number of options. His passage certainly conveyed a belief regarding the workings of the human mind, and that belief may or may not have had some scientific grounding, but no such knowledge was cited in evidence of his beliefs. He did state categorically that 'the human mind cannot be separated from the knowledge within it' in order to refute the analogy, but he certainly didn't justify it. If my memory serves me, that is.

I found the 'Utilitarian' question easiest: the question went something like 'Which of the following ideas is not expressed in the passage?'; I answered 'Retributive punishment takes society into account', because the writer used societal consideration to characterise retributive punishment as distinct from utilitarian punishment. However, I'm beginning to think that it was deceptively unambiguous; these sorts of questions usually are :mad:

Oh Balony! :rolleyes: I agree with you on the first two answers, but on the 'Utilitarian' question I had two options. The one you put, ''Retributive punishment takes society into account'' and I believe it to be the 2nd option. (It escapes me what it actually said). And I choose the 2nd option. :frown:

Jason
Reply 39
The problem is the acquisition of particular, "lawyerly" traits. I've been a nit-picking, pedantic, argumentative little bastard from birth (believe me: it was genetic); the citation of factual evidence and relevant examples is usually where I fall short, and where I achieve a 'B' instead of an 'A', it is almost invariably due either to a shortage of time, or a shortage of evidence. In other cases, people simply are not sufficiently discriminating in their utilisation of terminology. This was apparent from one of our preparatory "Law" lessons, for which we were asked in advance to produce a short, paragraph-long piece on the topic "what is law for?"; one girl delivered her piece in a manner which was generally convincing, but was nevertheless chastised by me for using the term "constrained" when she meant "infringed upon". Petty, but significant; especially when you realise that entire cases have been won and lost on similar (albeit less obvious) semantic and syntactic technicalities.

In this case, his definition of "retributive law" didn't fit with that expressed in the question, and so it came across to me as an obvious correct answer. In fact, it was so blatant as to be spurious: I found myself performing a double-take, and wondering whether this was a simple trick, or a genuinely unintentional blunder on the part of the exam board. I wouldn't worry though, if I were you: it all pans out in the end, and I would imagine that there are one or two (or three; or four; or five...) questions in which I similarly overlooked a definitive right answer in favour of the plausible - but ultimately, incorrect - response. I think I probably benefitted from having a spare thirty minutes in which to re-check my responses; I certainly spotted one or two blunders which, in retrospect, I can't believe I made. Hindsight is always 20:20 :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending