The Student Room Group

New laptop suggestions...

Hi,

I have approx. £1,100 (I could go a bit higher, but would rather not) to spend on a new laptop for university. I have plenty of experience in buying and building desktop PCs, but have never bought a laptop so am looking for advice/suggestions. I would like it to be as high-end as possible within that budget, but it will not really be used for gaming, so a stupidly expensive graphics card is not a must, but a decent screen is (I can't stand cheap and small (14") screens).

As I have previously built all of my desktops from scratch, ordering components from the best places at that time, I have no idea how good various different 'complete-PC' manufacturers such as Dell, Mesh, Time, Acer, Compaq and IBM etc. are. I have recently found the Dell Outlet store, which appears to have some very good deals (I especially like their 15.4" screens on the Inspiron Dimension 8500 models), any horror stories to report regarding them?

Any suggestions regarding other manufacturers/models?

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should get a very good laptop for that money, I've seen Pentium 4 with CD-RW & DVD for under £800.

IBM laptops have relatively low specs for the price, but they are superbly built, not as plasticky as most.
Reply 2
I've been doing work experience for the last 2 weeks in france, and was using an IBM thinkpad, for the duration (mainly for loging on to here all day, amongst other forums,) and was really impressed with the quality of the laptop.
I personally have a fujitsu, which is pretty good also, but the fujitsu's list price is higher I think, though the quality of the screen is immense, and it's touchscreen also.

Phil
I'd have a look at Toshiba.
They have decent sized screens and loads of memory.
Reply 4
I have an IBM Thinkpad and I can't complain about anything at all! No problems whatsoever, and very well built.
You might want to think about looking at models with Intel Centrino processors and ultra-low voltage chipsets if you're looking for a notebook that's ultra-portable.

The batteries last so much longer than P4 (and mobile) processors.

My advice is to pick up a "what laptop" magazine from your newsagent's - this'll tell you pretty much everything you need to know before splashing out over a grand on a laptop!
Reply 6
You could save a lot, by going for a 2nd hand 1.

Phil
Reply 7
Originally posted by PHIL
You could save a lot, by going for a 2nd hand 1.

Phil

The only problem with that is the lack of warranty because most of them would've probably expired.
Reply 8
I suppose, but you could get a far higher spec for a lot less cash. I agree it is pretty risky though, especially when spending that amount of money.

Phil
Reply 9
Usually when going for second hand I would buy it off a friend (I have a mate who has too many computers). Since he buys them all the time, and buys quite high spec ones, I can usually get the ones he's finished with at a cut price :smile:
Reply 10
if you can't buy off some1 you know, go to a computer shop with a good rep in your area, as some of them have 2nd hand pc's. explain your worry, and they might be able to sort you out with a warranty from them, though there are few shops I know how do this.

Phil
Reply 11
Originally posted by PHIL
if you can't buy off some1 you know, go to a computer shop with a good rep in your area, as some of them have 2nd hand pc's. explain your worry, and they might be able to sort you out with a warranty from them, though there are few shops I know how do this.

Phil

Hmm... there aren't many decent computer shops around where I live; the closest big shopping centre would be Reading. I'll take a look the next time I go there.
Reply 12
Good luck. remember not to feel pressurized into buying something if you don't think it's the best thing for you, take your time, as it's a lot of money.

PHIL
Reply 13
I have about the same amount of money to spend on a lap-top as you do. Due to the fact I know nothing about computers I asked my Dad, who said Dell were very good, and that I should look on their website - I don't know the address but give it a try.

Also I live in Reading, and didn't find it easy finding somewhere that was good for lap-tops. John Lewis has a good selection, I found a Sony one for about £1200 that was quite a good spec (but then I work there so I get my staff discount when buying it so it is cheaper), but they don't do Dell.

Good Luck!
Reply 14
DELL are an independant sales company so you should find that most shops (it should really be all shops but there are some naughty ones) will not stock anything of theirs.
Reply 15
Ooooohhh now that would be why my dad said to look on their website!!!
Reply 16
There's an online based company that sells computers and accessories etc quite cheap...we have bought various bits and bobs off them before and I think my dad got a laptop from them a couple of months ago...anyway it might be worth a look. I think some of their stock is ex-*whats the word when they stop being manufactured?* and a real bargin (my friend got the same digi cam that cost us like £500 a few years ago for £20! damn her eyes! (then got the site of her :P))

Anyway-

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/home.html

Hope it helps -if I'm not too late

Egan
I suggest toys r us….i know it’s a crappy toy shop but they have an excellent laptop there for £999….i think it’s the best one u can get for a grand…it got a great review in computer active magazine....five stars
Reply 18
Let us know when and if you get one :smile:
Reply 19
Originally posted by Egan1
Let us know when and if you get one :smile:

Will do! I'll probably wait till later in August as I go away on the 2nd, and I don't want it to arrive while I'm on hols.

Latest

Trending

Trending