The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Expression
Dream on !

Most things are "not to be used in conjunction with any other offer".

Add to my list 10 % off at Partners.

10 % off at HMV.

LOL, I figured that was probably the case!
ickle_katy
whooooooo we have a frankie and bennies next to showcase!!!

love Katy ***

I knew I had heard of that name somewhere!!!!

Oppisite the place I could be soon working (still no news! rung them and they said they hadn't made up their minds yet!)
ickle_katy
whooooooo we have a frankie and bennies next to showcase!!!

love Katy ***

*mmm* frankie and bennys :biggrin:
Surfing Hamster
*mmm* frankie and bennys :biggrin:

ive never been, but ive heard that its nice!

love Katy ***
Reply 44
Expression
Yes HSBC will give you a free 5 year Railcard (regardless of how long your course is) worth £90, or if you don't want that, you can have £50 cash instead.

Personally I would find the Railcard more use, £50 doesn't get you very far, 5 year's worth of discounted rail travel will save loads.

I'm not a regular traingoer - probably will become when I have to go to university though! I don't know much about rail cards - how much do you save by using one?
Adhsur
I'm not a regular traingoer - probably will become when I have to go to university though! I don't know much about rail cards - how much do you save by using one?

1/3 off

love Katy ***
Reply 46
ickle_katy
1/3 off

love Katy ***

To anywhere? every single train journey?
Adhsur

1/3 off fares.

I would then be using the train more often, as during the 2 years paying full fares since I reached that horrific threshold age of 16 has made trains increasingly less accessible.
any train joyrney after 10:30 paying a min of £1.50 (i think)

or at least thats what it is here!

hehe i still get kids prices :P

love Katy ***
ickle_katy
any train joyrney after 10:30 paying a min of £1.50 (i think)

or at least thats what it is here!

hehe i still get kids prices :P

love Katy ***

:mad: So unfair Katy ! How tall exactly are you to get away with that ?!

"You can use your Railcard anytime of day.
However, for journeys at or before 10:00, Monday to Friday (excluding July & August and Bank Holidays), a minimum fare applies, which is the least you can pay for your ticket. "

Source: Young Persons Railcard Website.
Expression
:mad: So unfair Katy ! How tall exactly are you to get away with that ?!

"You can use your Railcard anytime of day.
However, for journeys at or before 10:00, Monday to Friday (excluding July & August and Bank Holidays), a minimum fare applies, which is the least you can pay for your ticket. "

Source: Young Persons Railcard Website.

i am 5 foot.

my mate tried using hers on a train when we had to be in work by 9 and the dude told her she couldnt use it :s-smilie: grr nasty man!

love Katy ***
Reply 51
ickle_katy
i am 5 foot.

my mate tried using hers on a train when we had to be in work by 9 and the dude told her she couldnt use it :s-smilie: grr nasty man!

love Katy ***

OOO i'm that tall! will I get away with passing as a child?
Adhsur

Yes somehow I think you will.

Jammy or what. :tongue: I've been paying full fare since I was 14 because I was 5"8 then and the drivers wouldn't believe I was under 16. :frown:
Adhsur

yes, unless you try it when your going out...coz then your dressed up and look older.

its great..i drive to the train station...get a child ticket on the train...and go to the pub!whooo! the guy on the train is soooo stoopid!!!

love Katy ***
Reply 54
As I’m (hopefully) going to be a student next year I need to have a look at student bank accounts soon and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or point out any websites which might be useful.

I’ve got a few of questions:

When can you apply for a student account do you have to be at uni first?
Can I get an account with a proper visa or mastercard debit card?
What should I look for when choosing a student account?

Thanks everyone

Tom
Reply 55
I set up a student bank account with Barclays during my first year of college doin AS levels. You get a Visa Electron Debit Card and 3% interest on the money you have in your account. So no you don't have to be at uni, but if you're 18 I'd go for a normal bank account with a proper credit card since a lot of places don't accept debit cards and I don't think you can get cashback with them, I've never tried with mine. You get a cheque book as well so you can write cheques but you don't get a cheque guarantee card so often you have to wait until the cheque clears before you can get what you're paying for. I'm after a normal bank account with 4% interest and a proper credit card when I turn 18. Until then my student one will have to do.

Hope that helps.
Reply 56
you'll be luckey to find a normal bank account with 4% interest unless your loaded. My isa's not even gettin me that much. If you do find one can you post what company it's with and i'll eat my words.
Reply 57
emom100
you'll be luckey to find a normal bank account with 4% interest unless your loaded. My isa's not even gettin me that much. If you do find one can you post what company it's with and i'll eat my words.

Halifax websaver account when you put in less than 1000 a month...
its 4.00% and goes up more...

it probably doesn't count as 'normal' though...

xx

kat
Reply 58
ickle_katy
i get 4% with natwest at the mo...but that bout to change when i change it into a student account

yes you have to be 18.
you must have a unconditional offer from a university. (your conditional offer- becomes unconditional after results providing you get results required(
you can only have one student account.

most offer money or gifts to join,

the best are

natwest £60
royal bank of scotland £60
hsbc 5 year student rail card worth £90 (if you use a train or are planning on usinbg one)

love Katy ***

I'm sure that october-ish last year I saw a number of adverts in Natwest branches in cardiff offering either cash or a kettle and toaster, which struck me as an incredibly sensible offer.
Guest Rob
I'm sure that october-ish last year I saw a number of adverts in Natwest branches in cardiff offering either cash or a kettle and toaster, which struck me as an incredibly sensible offer.

yup- its a kettle and toaster or £60

but you can get a good kettle and toaster in argos and still have enough for a couple of pints from your £60.

love katy ***

Latest

Trending

Trending