The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
maybe they should add a warning like on cigarette patches and stuff "requires willpower"!

when i was REALLY young, i used to suck my thumb, and i always found that bath salts (y'know the little melty ball things) tasted REALLY disgusting, so you cold try them if the normal varnish doesnt work?
Reply 21
Acid_Rain
I still bite my nails :frown: Not very often tho, I find it just happens when I get nervous

hey, my avatar?! its been stolen!
Reply 22
El_Borish
maybe they should add a warning like on cigarette patches and stuff "requires willpower"!

when i was REALLY young, i used to suck my thumb, and i always found that bath salts (y'know the little melty ball things) tasted REALLY disgusting, so you cold try them if the normal varnish doesnt work?

i ate one of those as a child, somone gave me one of those with a whole load of sweets, i was not impressed
Reply 23
rednirt
ok ok, i'm 19 and I've been saying I'm gonna quit this filthy habbit for about 9 years!! I succeeded for 2 months before xmas and now its all gone pearshaped again :frown:

Has anyone got any tips for helping me stop? (Apart from dipping my fingers in bleach like my mum once did...)
rednirt
ok ok, i'm 19 and I've been saying I'm gonna quit this filthy habbit for about 9 years!! I succeeded for 2 months before xmas and now its all gone pearshaped again :frown:

Has anyone got any tips for helping me stop? (Apart from dipping my fingers in bleach like my mum once did...)

First of all - realize that you are not alone! I currently have a Nailbiting Message Board and people have posted just like you. About the best advice that I have seen has to do with how its related to stress, anxieties and worry. You're supposed to be able to find the reason why and then deal with that.
I stopped biting my nails from New Year's to when they split and broke...it's terrible. Though I did it mostly through will power and looking at celebs' nails.

You just gotta do it day by day, i'll start again soon. I am on a little bit of a loose end at the moment and I've got to do something to pass the time. I've only been doing it since I was 14 though
hehehe,

i have serious issues with my nails - i have to have nail clippers next to me at home all the time - i always snip away and eat my nails - i have barely any fingernails lol i used to just bite them but got my teeth straightened and i couldnt really do it any more so i swithec to nail clippers about 6 years ago - i have about 6 pairs in my bedroom and a pair in my bag for when i have an irritating bit of a nail i just have to take off lol

i also cut the skin around my nails so i have barely any skin on the tips of my fingers lol it bleeds sometimes if i cut too deep, whenever i have my hands under water, my fingernails absolutely kill lol
Reply 27
I cant stop biting mine I have tried everything. I made it from new year to exams this year but the exam stress was too much for me. I like the taste of stop and grow, if I have fake nails I bite or chip them, if I have nailvarnish on I bite it off. What else can I do? I've tried eating when I think I might want to bite them but most of the time its subconscious and I find that I've just bitten them off.
Reply 28
Once or twice a year, I manage to stop for about 3 weeks. But I find it hard to even notice that I'm doing it, so stopping is almost impossible.

When i do manage to stop, i just chew my nails instead, which isnt good, cos after a while one splits and then i just bite it off. Then my willpower dissapears and i finish them all off.
Reply 29
TK0
how about not biting ur nails. :rolleyes: some ppl

Thats what this thread about...
Reply 30
OK, one way, Paint your fingernails a nice dark colour (I prefer Revlon; Vixen) which looks nice on short nails, and not as bad on bitten ones, and if you want your fingers to look the same, strangely you wont bite off the nail polish.

When they grow (reguardless if you use my method) keep you nails filed short and square, (its in season now) it makes your nails stong so that you can grow them long and not break them. Dont try to grow them very long staright away, it takes time.

I used to bite mine till they bled, but one day i just stopped, so that was easy.

Hope it helped.
Reply 31
OH! I forgot something, ALWAYS keep an emery board handy to file down scratchy ends is your fingernails catch on eg; your sweater.
That's what I did, my friend came over and gave me a professional manicure with jessica nailpolish (Like the creme de la creme) and she kept saying to me you can have BEAUTIFUL nails (I have hands like a really old pianist though....Long and wrinkly *giggles*) she came over and said it every day and then got sick and the nails dissapeared
Everdawn
OH! I forgot something, ALWAYS keep an emery board handy to file down scratchy ends is your fingernails catch on eg; your sweater.

ARgh they are like SOOOOOOOOOOO bad for your nails
Reply 34
NOt if you follow it with a coat of repair polish... now i mention it, keep some of that too.

Latest

Trending

Trending