The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, obviously the word generally has no meaning. You can't represent anyone.

And please reply to Absolution's post made above.

What are you talking about?

You said i was stereotyping - This is true. I was talking about the general feelings in iran's population about UK/US people - From what I know/heard etc, they tend to have a better perception of UK people. Obviously, the bad publicity about USA (Bush) and the reasons behind the regime change/past war aids this negative perception (false really, when talking about USA PEOPLE, NOT THE LEADER).

I don't understand your comment - Your comment was stating that "judging one iranian person's perception based on this stereotype s pointless". i wasn't, I was talking about the population in general.
Absolution
I saw a documentary about Iran, was interesting to say the least, what obvious facts do they ignore/small things get emphasized?

As I said, they always talk negatively of iran. "Selection" in what they broadcast, as I like to call it.

EDIT: I guarantee that I know which documentary you watched as well, i think it was the one on Channel 4 about how bad the regime is or something..
bono
As I said, they always talk negatively of iran. "Selection" in what they broadcast, as I like to call it.

EDIT: I guarantee that I know which documentary you watched as well, i think it was the one on BBC4 about how bad the regime is or something..

But "what obvious facts do they ignore/small things get emphasized?"

The post above just repeated the statment that prompted Absolutions question
Pencil Queen
But "what obvious facts do they ignore/small things get emphasized?"

The post above just repeated the statment that prompted Absolutions question

They ignore the good side about the country. Hardly once has a documetary or a TV broadcast ever considered both sides and showed good aspects, WHICH ARE "TRUE".
Reply 84
bono
They ignore the good side about the country. Hardly once has a documetary or a TV broadcast ever considered both sides and showed good aspects, WHICH ARE "TRUE".

I think everone's after specifics Bono. Some examples of the "good side" that are under reported.
bono

I think absolutions question was:
*which* good sides to they ignore
and *which* bad sides do they emphasise.

a couple of examples?
Pencil Queen
I think absolutions question was:
*which* good sides to they ignore
and *which* bad sides do they emphasise.

a couple of examples?

Just general things: Wealth, architecture, libraries, scenary, places to visit, culture, beaches, buildings etc. things like that.
Reply 87
bono
Just general things: Wealth, architecture, libraries, scenary, places to visit, culture, beaches, buildings etc. things like that.

I think that's probably a fair point actually. I've never seen Iran featured on the "holiday programme" (if that's still running) now I come to think about it.
I just meant in general, the reports/broadcasts etc. are so one sided that they could hardly be classed as "the truth" about a nation. Th bad truths yes, but not the overall truths. Every country has good and bad truths.
Reply 89
To get back to thread -

I think age of consent should be RAISED to 65 for men and 60 for women. Sex can then be truly described as recreational! :biggrin:
yawn1
To get back to thread -

I think age of consent should be RAISED to 65 for men and 60 for women. Sex can then be truly described as recreational! :biggrin:
women live longer than men on average so the ages should be the other way round
Reply 91
bono
Every country has good and bad truths.
And who needs to broadcast the "good" truths? After all, a teacher doesn't comment on your performance by saying "Oh look xyz is doing this well", they say "xyz needs to improve this"
Reply 92
yawn1
To get back to thread -

So you want to basically kill off the human population?
Reply 93
So you want to basically kill off the human population?

it would help to solve the overpopulation problem :biggrin:
Reply 94
randdom
Do you think that the government plans to make every type of sexual contact illegal under the age of 16 are a good idea or a bad idea.
The other extreme of the argument is that the age of consent should be lowered to 14 what do people think. Or do you think the age of consent is the fine as it is?

Hmm...I can't seem to find this on the BBC website can you direct me to a link for the government proposals please :smile:

Anyway, on topic. I think we should embrace our sexuality and as human beings we seek to pursue pleasure for ourselves and sex/sexual contact is one way of doing so. There doesn't appear to be a problem right now with 16yr old as it is...if anything we should be looking toward a more liberal attitude and lowering the age of consent.
Reply 95
corey
Hmm...I can't seem to find this on the BBC website can you direct me to a link for the government proposals please :smile:

Anyway, on topic. I think we should embrace our sexuality and as human beings we seek to pursue pleasure for ourselves and sex/sexual contact is one way of doing so. There doesn't appear to be a problem right now with 16yr old as it is...if anything we should be looking toward a more liberal attitude and lowering the age of consent.
Define sexual contact
Reply 96
Define sexual contact

kissing, oral sex, etc.
Reply 97
corey

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/A/adultat14/consent/aoc_debate.shtml

This is what I can find but there are other sites out there
Reply 98
corey
kissing, oral sex, etc.

cunnilingus
Define sexual contact? the age limit here is 17 but i heard(dont know if its true) that the netherlands has the lowest age of consent and the lowest rate of teen pregnancy?

Latest

Trending

Trending