The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
shopaholicjenni
I see, by taking 5 A-levels how many free periods do you have a week?
Someone else here would, you mean your sixth-form? or....

I'm not sure about universities taking your 3 best grades from the subjects they want for the couse.

Technically, I have 3 free periods a week (1hr10mins) - I have 4 lessons for bio/chem/phys/psych and 1 lesson for general studies (sometimes I have 4 free periods due to changes in the timetable)

Someone else here would know more about what how many A-levels uni's accept [I think Lord Huntroyde has answered the question]

As for the universities picking the A-levels... For example, If you're doing a biology related degree they're more likely to take the grades from chem/bio/math ect (check the courses 'requirements') than from others.

Hope that helps.
Daveo
it was a year ago, im now in my first year at uni.
I only know 1 person who took 6 A-Levels but he did well.

I see.
With your course at university now, are they related to all of your 5 A-levels or just some?
Did any one told him/her that he/she was mad to take 6 A-levels?
Taking 6 A-levels must be pretty hard work
shopaholicjenni
I understand what you are saying, what i dont understand is that most universities dont count gernal studies as an A-level how come there are still sixth-forms taking the subject.
After your A-levels, did you use all your a-levels within your job? or just 1/2?

First Question: I have no idea. I hope there is a valid reason for it, but I suspect its just an opportunity to stack up UCAS point and move higher up the school league table.

Second Question: Still at university, and considering I'm moving on to postgrad next year, I probable won't have a job for quite a while.
LS.
Technically, I have 3 free periods a week (1hr10mins) - I have 4 lessons for bio/chem/phys/psych and 1 lesson for general studies (sometimes I have 4 free periods due to changes in the timetable)

Someone else here would know more about what how many A-levels uni's accept [I think Lord Huntroyde has answered the question]

As for the universities picking the A-levels... For example, If you're doing a biology related degree they're more likely to take the grades from chem/bio/math ect (check the courses 'requirements') than from others.

Hope that helps.

1hr 10 mins free time a week is that the 1st year or 2nd year?

Agree. that if you're taking a biology related degree i.e bioscience they are looking for chem/bio/maths even pshycology.
My problem at the moment is that i'm not sure what i degree i wish to do in the future. I'm spanding between 2 eras.

Thanks for your information, it has helped me. :smile:
BazTheMoney
First Question: I have no idea. I hope there is a valid reason for it, but I suspect its just an opportunity to stack up UCAS point and move higher up the school league table.

Second Question: Still at university, and considering I'm moving on to postgrad next year, I probable won't have a job for quite a while.

I think you prove the point, as the sixth-form are stacking up UCAS point to move higher up the school league table.

I see, so you will be continuing studying.

When you choose your subjects for a-levels, how did you choose them? By intrest/easiest or by job related?
Reply 25
It's usually said that you should probably stick to 3/4 and spend your time increasing depth not breadth. Do AEAs/STEP instead, they're regarded more highly.
fishpaste
It's usually said that you should probably stick to 3/4 and spend your time increasing depth not breadth. Do AEAs/STEP instead, they're regarded more highly.

AEAs and STEP are?
Reply 27
shopaholicjenni
AEAs and STEP are?

AEAs are designed for the top 10% or so of Alevel candidates, they're like an extension paper to your Alevel. To prove you're not only an A grade candidate but a top A grade candidate.

STEP are similar but they're designed for the top 2% of candidates and only exist in Maths. Typically, Cambridge expect their mathematics applicants to take them, but they're increasingly used by other universities as part as offers, and generally by people who want to prove their ability. (Any grade in STEP is very highly regarded).

___

Also probably something I should have mentioned in my other post: Already, Cambride don't just look at your grades, but your UMS marks. So if you're thinking of applying there, you don't just want to scrape your A grades, but you want to be getting near 100%s. You never know if Oxford and other unis are going to start asking for them (there's alot of talk of them doing so).
fishpaste
AEAs are designed for the top 10% or so of Alevel candidates, they're like an extension paper to your Alevel. To prove you're not only an A grade candidate but a top A grade candidate.

STEP are similar but they're designed for the top 2% of candidates and only exist in Maths. Typically, Cambridge expect their mathematics applicants to take them, but they're increasingly used by other universities as part as offers, and generally by people who want to prove their ability. (Any grade in STEP is very highly regarded).

___

Also probably something I should have mentioned in my other post, Cambridge already look not just at your grades, but your UMS marks. So if you're thinking of applying there, you don't just want to scrape your A grades, but you want to be getting near 100%s. You never know if Oxford and other unis are going to start asking for them (there's alot of talk of them doing so).

:eek: OMG, when and where do you take AEAs/STEP? on order to take STEP maths, you really need to take math and further maths for a-level right?
Reply 29
shopaholicjenni
:eek: OMG, when and where do you take AEAs/STEP? on order to take STEP maths, you really need to take math and further maths for a-level right?

You don't take AEA / STEP until the summer of your A2 year (I'm taking them in a month and a bit, June 28th/July 2nd). You can take the first two STEP papers without doing further maths but you need further maths for the final one.

Bear in mind that unless you really love maths and want to do lots more of it, AEA maths is probably more appropriate. And don't worry, whatever you decide you don't have to start entering yourself for things until into your second year. But for example I tried to do 5 Alevels this year, which was fine, until I tried to start working on STEP. So I made the decision to drop down to 3 subjects so I could put all my effort into STEP (it seems to be working). I know that ultimately, some good STEP grades will be more respected by the admissions tutors than a couple of extra subjects.
Reply 30
for AEA though, you can't really "work" for them..you just sit the exam.

I did 6AS levels then took 5 to A levels (including GS - because it was my 6th form policy & some unis do accept them in their own right, or look at them if you slip up on another grade) & my reasons for this was that i liked all the subjects i took & wanted to keep my options open!

GS didn't take up any lesson time..
doing 5 ASs i had 1 block free (2 long & 2 short lessons per week) - although actually far less as i played team sport.
doing 4 A2, i had 2 blocks free (but still played sport)

depends on timetabling in your school.

& my uni offers only asked for A2 grades, excluded GS but were quite flexible, i.e. AAA, AAB & ABBD (plus 2 tagged CCE equivalents i think).
[QUOTE="fishpaste"]You don't take AEA / STEP until the summer of your A2 year (I'm taking them in a month and a bit, June 28th/July 2nd). You can take the first two STEP papers without doing further maths but you need further maths for the final one.

Bear in mind that unless you really love maths and want to do lots more of it, AEA maths is probably more appropriate. And don't worry, whatever you decide you don't have to start entering yourself for things until into your second year. But for example I tried to do 5 Alevels this year, which was fine, until I tried to start working on STEP. So I made the decision to drop down to 3 subjects so I could put all my effort into STEP (it seems to be working). I know that ultimately, some good STEP grades will be more respected by the admissions tutors than a couple of extra subjects.[/QUOTE

Wish you the best of luck with your exam/s

In otherwords they prefer students with depth into certain topics than just knowing the basics of a broad range of topics?

Does your Maths tutor adivse you to take the AEA.s/STEP exam? Did you find there's a big step bewteen GCSE maths and A-level maths?
Reply 32
shopaholicjenni
fishpaste
You don't take AEA / STEP until the summer of your A2 year (I'm taking them in a month and a bit, June 28th/July 2nd). You can take the first two STEP papers without doing further maths but you need further maths for the final one.

Bear in mind that unless you really love maths and want to do lots more of it, AEA maths is probably more appropriate. And don't worry, whatever you decide you don't have to start entering yourself for things until into your second year. But for example I tried to do 5 Alevels this year, which was fine, until I tried to start working on STEP. So I made the decision to drop down to 3 subjects so I could put all my effort into STEP (it seems to be working). I know that ultimately, some good STEP grades will be more respected by the admissions tutors than a couple of extra subjects.

Wish you the best of luck with your exam/s

In otherwords they prefer students with depth into certain topics than just knowing the basics of a broad range of topics?

Does your Maths tutor adivse you to take the AEA.s/STEP exam? Did you find there's a big step bewteen GCSE maths and A-level maths?

Cheers.

Yes, so I'm told.

I'm taking STEP because my university offer demands I take it, but I probably would have chosen to take it anyway. There is a huge jump between any GCSE and the Alevel, especially in maths yes, but you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

Lex.
Elles
for AEA though, you can't really "work" for them..you just sit the exam.

I did 6AS levels & 5 A levels (including GS - because it was my 6th form policy & some unis do accept them in their own right, or look at them if you slip up on another grade) & my reasons for this was that i liked all the subjects i took & wanted to keep my options open!

GS didn't take up any lesson time..
doing 5 ASs i had 1 block free (2 long & 2 short lessons per week) - although actually far less as i played team sport.
doing 4 A2, i had 2 blocks free (but still played sport)

depends on timetabling in your school.

& my uni offers only asked for A2 grades, excluded GS but were quite flexible, i.e. AAA, AAB & ABBD (plus 2 tagged CCE equivalents i think).

Wow 6 As-levels & 5 A-levels ! May i know which 5 A-level you took?
Was there many people in you school took 6 AS/L?
fishpaste
Cheers.

I see. Are you thinking of taking mathmatics at university degree?
I hope i'll be okay
Thanks
Reply 35
I'm going to be doing 5 As levels nxt year and hope to take them to A2 too... And then also general studies AS in my second year...

By my working I get 5 free periods on a 2 week timetable (9 lessons X 5 subjects) but by my school's I'll get none (dunno how that works...)
me!
I'm going to be doing 5 As levels nxt year and hope to take them to A2 too... And then also general studies AS in my second year...

By my working I get 5 free periods on a 2 week timetable (9 lessons X 5 subjects) but by my school's I'll get none (dunno how that works...)

5 AS including general studies, which really means 4 AS levels as general studies is only like 1/2 period a week isnt?
Reply 37
shopaholicjenni
5 AS including general studies, which really means 4 AS levels as general studies is only like 1/2 period a week isnt?

5AS not including general studies, 6 including it
Reply 38
shopaholicjenni
Wow 6 As-levels & 5 A-levels ! May i know which 5 A-level you took?
Was there many people in you school took 6 AS/L?

AEA - Biology (was going to do history too, but exam clash would have given me 7.5 hours of AEA exam in one day just after my 18th..so i thought not! :rolleyes: )

A levels - Biology, Chemistry, History, English Literature & General Studies

AS - Physics

my view may be slightly skewed, because i went to one of the largest 6th forms in the country, so it wasn't anything particularly unusual (though they did ask you had 7+ A/A*s at GCSE to do 5 ASs)..the max was 8 A levels i think!

..but then i'm "special" because i hadn't been able to do ASs early with GCSEs at my previous school, not a mathematician - so couldn't do triple maths (ergh!) & am not multi-lingual - so didn't get some cushy A levels in a native language..lol :wink:
me!

5AS not including general studies, 6 including it

WOW!, your sixth-form let you take 5 A-LEVELs not including GS?
Who did you talk to about taking an extra A-level?
How come you are choosing 5 AL?

Latest

Trending

Trending