The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

alio
girls - can also do 2 things at once men can't! its only wot i was taught lol

Gah, does it really matter? Things are going to take the same amount of time if you do them once after another or concurrently.
Reply 121
This can be reflected nicely in the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=chess&v=55">chess</a> playing world. Where males dominate in the top 1000 World.

that is actually so true
waiting2smile
Not really, I'm being openminded. I think it's interesting that people argue men are more intelligent then women, and use genetics as evidence. But it's nice to know that currently women lead men in college degrees :tongue:
I was using genetics to argue the top end of male intelligence was higher than that of females, not that men were in general more intelligent.
Reply 123
BossLady
Nope, but your answer was pathetic. You clearly don't have a proper comeback so you attempt to insult....seems men can't even make coherent arguments anymore.
Just because the barriers to women were unblocked say 70 ish years ago, you can't suddenly expect all the women to be recieving nobel prizes in an instant. This is merely one generation of women, who began to filter into the academic institutions. Remember, it was abnormal before for girls to be in academic institutions....its a hard stereotype to break. Now though, we do infact have more female medics than male medics, which came about in the early/mid 90's. I suspect in the next 20/30 years you will be seeing lots more scientists and other academics who are female (and yes lots of female nobel prize winners), you can't judge by one generation, when men have had thousands of generations passing through academic institutions with the chance to become great scientists/academics.

Since the 'supression' of women has stopped there has been more than 1 generation yet there still arent many women winning the nobel prize.
Reply 124
waiting2smile
Not really, I'm being openminded. I think it's interesting that people argue men are more intelligent then women, and use genetics as evidence. But it's nice to know that currently women lead men in college degrees :tongue:

im tryin my best not to sound childish but ive always held the idea that at the end of the day it is women that physically make men lol.

also is it true that all gametes start as female just wondered
Reply 125
alio
girls - can also do 2 things at once men can't! its only wot i was taught lol

I thought it was the complete opposite? Men are much better at multi-tasking. I know I invalidate that comment straight away, as I can do about 5 things at once..
alio
im tryin my best not to sound childish but ive always held the idea that at the end of the day it is women that physically make men lol.

It takes two, baby. Well, outside of a laboratory it does.
Reply 127
waiting2smile

The emphasise of degree work has shifted in favour of people who work hard rather than people who have a natural aptitide for the subject. Notice why women are leading men in college degrees. 30 years ago when the education system was much harder this wasnt the case..
Reply 128
This can be reflected nicely in the chess playing world. Where males dominate in the top 1000 World.

And out of the top 100,we have only Judit Polgar on the list (somewhere around no.10 if i remember right...too lazy to check the FIDE site lol). Unfortunatley most women see chess as a male-dominated sport and feel there are no opportunities for them there. Infact a famous female chess player's father was very disappointed in having a girl (or girls if it was Polgars father) rather than a boy for this exact reason...(i can't remember if it was Kosteniuk's, or possibly Polgar's..). Also, when the women play in the big/famous tournaments, you get all the men making dirty comments e.g "She can mate me any day" etc.
Reply 129
imasillynarb
I thought it was the complete opposite? Men are much better at multi-tasking. I know invalidate that comment straight away, as I can do about 5 things at once..

no women r supposed to be better at multi tasking coz men are said to be more logical.
i dont see how it relates but i read it somewhere
imasillynarb
30 years ago when the education system was much harder this wasnt the case..

What exactly are you trying to say? That men are doing badly because they're not being challenged enough??!
Reply 131
alio
no women r supposed to be better at multi tasking coz men are said to be more logical.
i dont see how it relates but i read it somewhere

So how come they can't put on eye make-up with their mouth closed?
Reply 132
DazzYaa7
er we are not talking about mice hun!

Before you decide to sweep the statement under the carpet, you will hopefully realise that the implications of this for evolution could be massive.
Reply 133
waiting2smile
I'm bored... :tongue: so I'll set the popular myth that men are the stronger sex right, and maybe you can all follow on with more ideas why men will beg us for mercy when we sieze control of the world.

1) Women live longer

There are more men.

waiting2smile
2) Men are unable to give birth, to keep the species going

....and without male sperm?
waiting2smile
3) Men are 4 x likely to commit suicide then women and are 3 x likely to die in an accident then women.

i) He must be stuck with a bitch
ii) That's because the man is driving
waiting2smile
4) Women are smarter.

Einstein, Newton, Hawkings,..... Notice a pattern?
Reply 134
the reason why men were best in the old education system is coz women were not given the chance coz they were thought to be thick. now however women are proving this wrong by doing better then men
BossLady
Before you decide to sweep the statement under the carpet, you will hopefully realise that the implications of this for evolution could be massive.

I think you'll find it's simply better to not reply to his half witted comments. But it's interesting that women won't need men to procreate. :tongue:
Besides, it's infantile trying to establish which is the stronger gender, as there is so much range within each. Furthermore, it's dangerous to society to label half the population as being subservient to the other, so long as we want to encourage gender equality.

People ought to be assessed on their own individual merits, not prejudged based on generalisations and preconceived ideas about where skills lie, or expected characteristics.

So there.
Reply 137
waiting2smile
I think you'll find it's simply better to not reply to his half witted comments. But it's interesting that women won't need men to procreate. :tongue:

you are in a losing battle and will not admit it

you're digging yourself a hole
Reply 138
alio
the reason why men were best in the old education system is coz women were not given the chance coz they were thought to be thick. now however women are proving this wrong by doing better then men

Men are better at understanding complex concepts. Women are better at thinking about numerous things at once.
DazzYaa7
you are in a losing battle and will not admit it

you're digging yourself a hole

I am losing no battle, unless like George Bush you are also illiterate you will have understood my post was merely a joke, but because you and a few members feel threatened you've taken it the wrong way. Also you have a habit of copying other people's replies? Why?

Latest