The Student Room Group

One last religious debate poll

I think religion is a fantasy created by man to counter insecurities he has about moral issues such as good and evil, and scary thoughts like what you die. So man makes up stories and through some psychological process they make themselves believe it.

I'm a realist, and although I see where the image of a God and the notions of good and evil come from, I can't accept them as the truth.

But it's fair for people to reassure themselves, I think it's good because I genuinely think that people who can convince themselves there is a God watching over them and forgiving their mistakes and helping them through the harsh world benefit from the thoughts.

But there's always a few who write books saying it's ok to beat women, or who attack other people who don't agree with their opinions, or who try endlessly to convince the other faiths that they are right and the others are wrong.

That's what I think. Proof or no proof, that's my opinion of religion summed up. Anyway that wasn't the point, the point of this thread was mainly for the poll. Please vote honestly, thanks.
what about an agnostic option?
Reply 2
What is that? For people who don't know?
mik1a
What is that? For people who don't know?
people who realise there might or might not be a God and appreciate the fact that at this moment in time there is not enough evidence to decide either way
Reply 4
Speciez99
people who realise there might or might not be a God and appreciate the fact that at this moment in time there is not enough evidence to decide either way

Its is entirely irrational to believe either way.
Reply 5
corey
Its is entirely irrational to believe either way.

It's rational to have an opinion based on proof/lack of proof and alternate explanations despite the fact that there is no provable right or wrong asnwer.
Reply 6
mik1a
It's rational to have an opinion based on proof/lack of proof and alternate explanations despite the fact that there is no provable right or wrong asnwer.

Perhaps. I still contend that it is irrational to ever claim that 'God exists' or 'God doesn't exist' - We can at best say 'My personal feelings are inclinced toward God's existence' (vice-versa).
Reply 7
Yeah I agree with that.
Reply 8
If someone says - how many pennies I got in a jar in my room I would say - "I have no idea" - I wouldnt have any basis to know either way...

Religion is the same - no basis to beleive one thing over another - I think it takes a special kind of arrogance to think that you know better than everyone else without a basis for the claim
Reply 9
The arrogance is faith and devotion.

Whether religion and God is the truth and right, or not, it doesnt matter, its the benefits, the hope, etc that it brings for society and people.

If everyone in this world lived by the rules of religion, and not some fundamentalist wrong intrepration of it, the world would be perfect, and it would not matter whether it was the truth and if there was a God or not, people would be living better fairer lives.
Reply 10
sloaney87

Whether religion and God is the truth and right, or not, it doesnt matter, its the benefits, the hope, etc that it brings for society and people.

If everyone in this world lived by the rules of religion, and not some fundamentalist wrong intrepration of it, the world would be perfect, and it would not matter whether it was the truth and if there was a God or not, people would be living better fairer lives.

Not at all - if everyone followed the bible to a tee - then they would be able to sell their daughters into slavery and would have to stone people for working at Sainsubry's on a sunday...

As for Islam - they would have to kill anyone who chose to leave the religion

Also - religion is NOT condusive to better lives - look back of history - it has been used to opress and incite... it is divisive, and breeds illogical and stagnat minds which refuse to question themselves....

Of course it may be of benefit to SOME - but the bad outweighs the good by far

It is not a good enough reason that it makes people feel better.... Because then those people try to enforce their beleifs on others....

For instance the vatican pressuring US politicians to vote against abortion - or giving out dictats against conraception while latin american populations explode and favelas swell...
Reply 11
Lawzzzzzz
Not at all - if everyone followed the bible to a tee - then they would be able to sell their daughters into slavery and would have to stone people for working at Sainsubry's on a sunday...

As for Islam - they would have to kill anyone who chose to leave the religion

Also - religion is NOT condusive to better lives - look back of history - it has been used to opress and incite... it is divisive, and breeds illogical and stagnat minds which refuse to question themselves....

Of course it may be of benefit to SOME - but the bad outweighs the good by far

It is not a good enough reason that it makes people feel better.... Because then those people try to enforce their beleifs on others....

For instance the vatican pressuring US politicians to vote against abortion - or giving out dictats against conraception while latin american populations explode and favelas swell...

You really have it in for the religion,
Reply 12
sloaney87

What benefits? How long will the hope last before people begin to wonder?

If everyone in this world lived by the rules of religion,
Which religion?
and not some fundamentalist wrong intrepration of it, the world would be perfect, and it would not matter whether it was the truth and if there was a God or not, people would be living better fairer lives.
What is the difference between a "fundamentalist wrong interpretation" of religion and a true one? Merely who kills whom and why, and only the survivors would- in their own eyes- "be living better fairer lives" until someone invented another "wrong interpretation".
Reply 13
Babygal
You really have it in for the religion,

I really have it in for beleifs that say "dont question this" or "This is the way it is, though we have no proof" - and then cause people who adhere to it to depracate and look down on others as NONbeleivers ....

Additionally I would have MUCH less of a problem with religion if people simply said "this is my beleif, I will obey my religion, but I dont expect or ask anyone else to - that is their business - NOT MINE"

However unfortunately most people who have a beleif spend time telling people that their life is EVIL, or Against god, and even tryign to influence public policy on the basis of their divinations and unfounded faith...

Look - you want to have faith as to to something - FINE - but it should NOT affect me .... or your friends or family ....
Reply 14
Lawzzzzzz
If someone says - how many pennies I got in a jar in my room I would say - "I have no idea" - I wouldnt have any basis to know either way...

Religion is the same - no basis to beleive one thing over another - I think it takes a special kind of arrogance to think that you know better than everyone else without a basis for the claim

The basis for the claim is that there is a good rational explanation for the belief in god - not that he exists, but becuase people really want him to exist. Whether you can make sense of the reason a God would actually exist is upto personal opinion, but to say that no one can have an opinion on it due to lack of complete proof either way is silly.
Reply 15
sloaney87

It depends on how much truth is a factor of perfection - if there is no god and truth was part of perfection, then religion could never bring perfection.
Reply 16
mik1a
The basis for the claim is that there is a good rational explanation for the belief in god - not that he exists, but becuase people really want him to exist. Whether you can make sense of the reason a God would actually exist is upto personal opinion, but to say that no one can have an opinion on it due to lack of complete proof either way is silly.

Thats entirely untrue - Without a reason to have an opinion - the opinion is illogical - that people want it to be true is irrelevant

I I want there to be 135484 pennies that doesnt mean there is any more of a reason to beleive there is ....

Latest

Trending

Trending