The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
aliel
Errr, I think using "psychology as a way of knowing what people are likely to say" or using the "power of suggestion", is far MORE interesting than watching someone 'pretending' to "do magic"-

Perhaps he just performs hundreds of times until he gets the result he wants. A friend once did a trick where he asked me to pick a number from 1 to 10. I said 3 and he picked a cup from the table to reveal a post-it with the number 3 on it. Seemed impressive at first, until he picked up various other items to show 9 more numbers. Felt a bit stupid after that. :rolleyes:
Reply 21
aliel
Errr, I think using "psychology as a way of knowing what people are likely to say" or using the "power of suggestion", is far MORE interesting than watching someone 'pretending' to "do magic"-

i never said i liked magic did i?

I just think that he is intensly arrogant and likes to think he's so much better than people.
Reply 22
The Russian Roulette was setup, he admitted that it wasn't actually 'live' but on a time delay.
Reply 23
Dajoruna
The Russian Roulette was setup, he admitted that it wasn't actually 'live' but on a time delay.

A 30 second time delay, in case he actually blew up his brains..so Channel 4 could stop viewers seeing it.
Reply 24
d750
Perhaps he just performs hundreds of times until he gets the result he wants. A friend once did a trick where he asked me to pick a number from 1 to 10. I said 3 and he picked a cup from the table to reveal a post-it with the number 3 on it. Seemed impressive at first, until he picked up various other items to show 9 more numbers. Felt a bit stupid after that. :rolleyes:

Yeah, am sure a lot of it is trial and error..but i like him a lot, don't know why-maybe he cast a spell upon me? :wink:
Reply 25
rednirt
i never said i liked magic did i?

I just think that he is intensly arrogant and likes to think he's so much better than people.

In not so many words, you did. Of course suggestion and trickery is going to be used, for the only alternative is actual magic! He is no more arrogant than Blaine, Copperfield, McKenna- :biggrin:
Reply 26
Yes, and also channel 4 revealed that the bullets were blanks...
Reply 27
Dajoruna
Yes, and also channel 4 revealed that the bullets were blanks...

Yes, but at that range it would have an equally fatal effect.
Reply 28
I dont understand how he did that invisible thing last friday - that was scary!!
Reply 29
aliel
In not so many words, you did. Of course suggestion and trickery is going to be used, for the only alternative is actual magic! He is no more arrogant than Blaine, Copperfield, McKenna- :biggrin:

well er i didn't i'll have you know.
please don't infer meaning where there was none to be found. :tongue:
Reply 30
Like someone said, he must be a master of Psychology and pretty much understands human behaviour inside-out. Also, he probably has done each of his tricks more than once until he got it right and put it on the programme.
Reply 31
charlord
I dont understand how he did that invisible thing last friday - that was scary!!

Yep- the film student looked petrified, like a lil mouse :eek:
Reply 32
charlord

I don't really know either.....but it was absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!! I suppose he might have used a famous scene from a film.....and re-enacted it.......and cos the guy was a film student....he would've been easily influenced into believing Derren Brown was invisible?!?????

That's probably a load of poppycock actually...just my theory....

G
Reply 33
He is an amazing bloke. I would love to be able to do what he can do.
Dude
He is an amazing bloke. I would love to be able to do what he can do.

Its not too hard if you put a bit of effort into it.
You just have to focus on uinderstanding people, then you can learn to predict them, although some of the stuff Brown does i still haven't quite got an explanation for.
Reply 35
Iluvatar
Its not too hard if you put a bit of effort into it.
You just have to focus on uinderstanding people, then you can learn to predict them, although some of the stuff Brown does i still haven't quite got an explanation for.

I want to do that chess trick, he did. Now that was pretty celver i found.
Dude
I want to do that chess trick, he did. Now that was pretty celver i found.

Yeah, i suppose, although i'd have tried to play them all to win 9-0!
But all you need is to train your memory, and it should be pretty easy. He was only remembering 4 moves at a time, which isn't really too hard.
But the number predictions were pretty good at the end of that.
Reply 37
It's basically an area of magic known as mentalism. His stuff is just based on psychological principles, and, as he says at the beginning of his show it's magic, misdirection, psychology, suggestion etc.

If anyone is more interested check out books by knepper or banachek.
They'll explain how to do the stuff he does; he has drawn a lot from their work only added his own twists on it. He's a genius in my opinion.

And he's such a good magician! I was lucky enough to see a video of him performing magic and it was brilliant. He even nicked someone's watch when i saw him live.

Cracking stuff
i do think hes very clever..and as someone previously said.. id rather watch him doing interesting psychological things than some guy trying to pull rabbits out of hats
Reply 39
guest1984
I think its all fake .........i heard from some source that the russian roulette thing he did, was fake as well.........

It was, he admitted it himself.

He does tricks just to cause reactions; he is an expert in hypnosis and psychology. He influences decisions and knows human selection patterns. The one where he drew a building by someone looking at it, (I think) he used the reflection in the eye. He was close, and never lost focus of the chaps eye.

Latest

Trending

Trending