The Student Room Group

Transfer to another Uni

ok im in a dilemma as usual... thinkin of transferrin to the 2nd year of Business Management at Aston... or Kingston dont know which 1 to choose.. preferably aston coz its got a really good reputation for business management, 2nd outside london...and excellent job prospects plus living in kingston would b expensive due to its proximity to london i presume?
oh well...jus haven't made up my mind completely yet, jus finished my 1st yr at Nottingham Trent, lectures n seminars dont seem to b organised too well, and there r so many students in our course through clearin... theres no real motivation, and although nottingham is well known for its high crime rate and stuff...i have *touchwood* not encountered any problems.. nightlife seems pretty good hav had a wicked year made loads of gr8 friends however, i dont think this degree would give me any benefits in my career..
Moreover, I think nottingham is too small for my preference, ive always wanted to be in a big city like birmingham for example, or london would love it but its tooo expensive, and its a shame i couldnt visit any uni prior to my arrival in UK, heard positive stuff abt Nottingham and decided to go there.. oh n by the way the student union of trent uni... is very very disappointin... id love to be actively involved in a student union at my uni.. but its jus not turned out the way i wanted it to b...
so what would u recommend? aston or kingston? do i need to go thru ucas to transfer n wht r my chances of gettin a place in da 2nd year?
Reply 1
lil_becky
ok im in a dilemma as usual... thinkin of transferrin to the 2nd year of Business Management at Aston... or Kingston dont know which 1 to choose.. preferably aston coz its got a really good reputation for business management, 2nd outside london...and excellent job prospects plus living in kingston would b expensive due to its proximity to london i presume?
oh well...jus haven't made up my mind completely yet, jus finished my 1st yr at Nottingham Trent, lectures n seminars dont seem to b organised too well, and there r so many students in our course through clearin... theres no real motivation, and although nottingham is well known for its high crime rate and stuff...i have *touchwood* not encountered any problems.. nightlife seems pretty good hav had a wicked year made loads of gr8 friends however, i dont think this degree would give me any benefits in my career..
Moreover, I think nottingham is too small for my preference, ive always wanted to be in a big city like birmingham for example, or london would love it but its tooo expensive, and its a shame i couldnt visit any uni prior to my arrival in UK, heard positive stuff abt Nottingham and decided to go there.. oh n by the way the student union of trent uni... is very very disappointin... id love to be actively involved in a student union at my uni.. but its jus not turned out the way i wanted it to b...
so what would u recommend? aston or kingston? do i need to go thru ucas to transfer n wht r my chances of gettin a place in da 2nd year?

I think you first need to get in touch with them. They usually like to take a look at what you've studied, and they're only likely to accept you onto the second year if there's a fairly close match. Once such a match does exist, they usually tend to specify that you attain at least 40% throughout your current university's 1st year examinations. Providing they have space available, then you'll be accepted. I think there could be something to do via UCAS, quite possibly, but it's just a formality once you've got into contact with the university you've in mind, satisfied their criteria and have been accepted.

Aston is a fairly reasonable place at which to study Business, although you may need a bit of luck getting in, it's likely they'll have some place, however I don't think it's certain. As for the post-1992 universities, they've always space available, especially as they cannot even fill up their spaces in the initial intake for the first year, and furthermore they've a relatively higher drop out rate. However, Kingston is much like how you describe Trent, lots of dossers there:tongue: I think overall, if you're able to choose between the two, I'd certainly opt for Aston. I cannot see how Kingston would be worthwhile, it's pretty much in the same category as Trent.
Reply 2
Ditto what JS has said.

I think it's getting more common to do this.

You don't need UCAS but you do need to get a move on if you want to start in September/october.

I know this has already been said but get in touch with both uni's. Ask about transfering and go have a look at the uni's, you don't want to move and then find it's pretty much the same.

Get i touch with the head of department, send a summary of what you have done so far and what grades you got. You may find you can go straight into the second year but be prepared to have to do the odd 1st year module/lecture.
Reply 3
Hey lil_becky

I actually completely agree with you, I've just finished my first year at Trent (doing History and Sociology/Psychology) n I don't think lectures are organised well, and that seminars are either non existent or really pointless. Only one of my tutors has been arsed about how I'm coping in the course, the others haven't even bothered to learn my name let alone give us decent seminars. :mad: Rah.

Anyway yeah so I was just about to post to ask about how you go about trying to transfer when I saw this so though i'd say hey n good luck

BombShell x
Reply 4
hey bombshell, so hav u decided which unis do u wanna transfer to? I hav made up my mind tht i am gonna transfer to a better uni anyhow, and hopefully get into the 2nd year as my parents wont let me repeat da 1st year... lets hope it all goes well for me n u too... it could be quite difficult though as its always a tough job gettin from a not so good uni to a really good one... oh well no harm in tryin!
Where were u stayin during u 1st year at Nott Trent Uni?... ive got another prob tht ive paid a deposit for my accommodation for the 2nd year, as I couldnt take risks (jus incase im unable to transfer), so i had to secure a place for myself.. n i need to decide b4 august as they'll deduct my 1st installment fees, but i cant visit Aston b4 sept!
Its such a mess!!!
Do reply bak n good luck to u too.
:smile:
Reply 5
Hey u!

No, no idea where to transfer yet. I spoke to Leeds uni n told them how I'd done in my first year, etc, and they were quite accepting but when we went into detail about the modules I'd studied it turned out my course hadn't gone into enough detail and I wouldn't be able to transfer :frown: Others I've spoken to are really full, though Reading were quite positive but I don't know anything about the uni so whether it would be a good choice.

I stayed on Clifton campus last year, was quite nice and was good having everyone together in one place. But I'm having the same dilemma with my accomodation, n my friends are gonna be really upset if I don't live there.

One option I've considered is re-taking my A levels in Notts (due to personal probs I didn't get near my predicted grades). That way I get to live away from home, re-take n get some decent grades and then I can re-apply. I don't know if this is such a great idea though!

BombShellx
Reply 6
hey bombshell, mate if u retake ur a-levels and then start in anotha uni again u´re gonna hav to study for 2 extra yrs!! i dont think id b able to do that... i got a reply from aston they´ve said i could start from the 2nd year had i finished an HND, otherwise from the 1st year, coz they´re ranked 3rd for business so they hav to be extremely careful in their admission process and make sure students r studying at the right level... fair enough i understand their point of view but i doubt my folks gonna let me repeat the 1st yr... lets c how it goes.. im gonna try to convince aston... keep chewin their brains...:smile:
i was thinkin of reading too at some point of time, but then switched to aston... hope u hav a brill time wherever u go... anyway u wanna get in touch? gimme ur msn so v can talk properly there..talk abt notts trent too.. so reply bak if u wanna... cya
Reply 7
This threads making me nervous :redface: ...Nottingham Trent is one of the uni's I was thinking of going too...their organisation sounds pretty much the same as my 6th forms, something that I don't wish to be going through while doing a degree,
Reply 8
awww LS, well i dunno if all departments r the same as the business one, what subject hav u applied for and which other universities? I can try to consult as i hav lots of mates are diff unis, doin distinct courses and let u know.... take care
Reply 9
Hey again!

Yeah decided that re-taking the a levels wasn't gonna be good, I mean, yeah it would benefit me but cause of top-up fees n everything I'm not gonna be able to afford it. If it comes to it though I wouldn't mind re-taking first year (tho' my parents would!) but at the end of it its only a year that could benefit my whole life.

But then again I wouldn't mind stayin at Notts, this thread must sound really bad to other people! It is a good uni, all my friends love it there and I do to an extent, its just sometimes there's something just not quite ...right, you know, some people just suit certain places and others don't. Well, I'll have to see, I've got a feeling I'll be stayin in Notts but thats not such a bad thing anyway thinking about it....

so confused :confused:

x

Latest

Trending

Trending