The Student Room Group

Two questions???

Hi,
I just finished my personal statement.
Could someone answer two questions for me? Because I am german and don't know...
->The plural of media in English is it "medias" or "media"???
Do you say "dance and drama is appealing to me"? or ..."is appealing for me"?
Thank You!

When I was fourteen I began studying national and international fashion magazines, never missing a single issue. Learning from fashion related books and TV programmes I gained a good knowledge of the subject. My interest in fashion and writing did result in my decision to become a fashion editor.

After graduation from high school I did an internship at a food magazine to get an insight into professional journalism. It was a great experience to observe the development of a magazine issue. I was proud to assist the journalists in doing research and writing small articles. Furthermore I contributed ideas for topics and supported the team in designing the layout.

In October 2003 I started studying journalism at the state university in Berlin. Here I am learning the basics of journalism and what effect the medias have on people. As there is no possibility in Germany to specialize in journalism I want to go on studying in the U.K. To afford my studies I used to work as a secretary at “Siemens”, a German company. Thanks to my training as a foreign correspondence secretary I gained excellent skills in computing, presentation and communication. Because of the international orientation of the company I was also instructed in Business English by native speakers. Attending acting classes in New York and working for my company in Singapore helped improve my English skills and has taught me much about teamwork, responsibility and understanding. I have always had a great interest in foreign countries, and this has been an inspiration for me to experience other cultures and talk to different kinds of people. In school I focused on languages and have since become fluent in English and French. As fashion is an international business, I believe that knowledge of different languages is essential for making a career in fashion.

In my spare time I am working hard on my dancing skills since I have fallen in love with Oriental Dance four years ago. I am passionate about other dancing styles as well and attend acting classes regularly. So apart from Writing, drama and dance is appealing to me.
Studying in the U.K. would provide me with all the skills I will need to make a successful career. I am highly aware of the superb reputation of education in the U.K. In addition to excellent facilities. I especially appreciate the fact that your studies are very practically orientated and tightly organized. I am looking forward to meeting many different people who share my passion for writing. In addition, I would have the unique opportunity to get to know a country and it’s people from the inside. This means an enormous enrichment to my life not only in terms of my career.
Reply 1
its "media"
and "dance and drama appeal to me" sounds good
Reply 2
Hi Tina,

thank you very much! Can you say:

So apart from Writing, drama and dance is appealing to me.
Reply 3
Esteph
Hi Tina,

thank you very much! Can you say:

So apart from Writing, drama and dance is appealing to me.

Aside of my writing, dance and drama greatly appeal to me

how does that sound?
Reply 4
Hi Tina,

Thank you for this suggestion. Sounds very professional...
Reply 5
Esteph
Hi Tina,

Thank you for this suggestion. Sounds very professional...

no problem.
You have one medium, many media. :smile:
Esteph

i don't know if you want this but figured i'd give you a hand with a few phrases to get the english right - changed bits in brackets

My interest in fashion and writing (resulted) in my decision to become a fashion editor.

After graduat(ing) from high school I (undertook) an internship at a food magazine to (gain) insight into professional journalism. It was a great experience to observe the development of a magazine issue. I was proud to assist the journalists in (their) research and writing small articles. Furthermore I contributed ideas for topics and supported the team in designing the layout.

In October 2003 I started studying journalism at the state university in Berlin. Here I (have learnt) the basics of journalism and what effect the (media has) on people. As there is no possibility (to specialize in journalism in Germany) I want to go on studying in the U.K. To (fund) my studies I (worked) as a secretary (for) “Siemens”,( a German company - unnessary if that is the mobile phone company :wink: ). (During) my training as a foreign correspondence secretary I gained excellent (computing, presentation and communication skills). Because of the international orientation of the company I was also (taught) Business English by native speakers. Attending acting classes in New York and working for my company in Singapore helped improve my English skills and has taught me much about teamwork, responsibility and (understanding - understanding what?). I have always had a great interest in foreign countries, and this has (inspired me) to experience other cultures and (talk/meet) different kinds of people. In school I focused on languages and have since become fluent in English and French. As fashion is an international business, I believe that (linguistic skills/fluency in other languages)are essential for (developing) a career in fashion.

((So apart from Writing))In my spare time (I work) hard on my dancing skills, specifically Oriental Dance (why capitals?) (which i fell in love with four years ago). I am passionate about other dancing styles as well and attend regular acting classes. (So apart from Writing, drama and dance is appealing to me - unnecessary))
(I believe) Studying in the U.K. would provide me with the skills (which are?? ) I need to make a successful career. (the U.K has a superb reputation for education and .).In addition to excellent facilities, I especially appreciate the fact that your studies are very practically orientated and tightly organized. .

here ya go

Latest

Trending

Trending