The Student Room Group

anyone ever with a BTEC went to an American University???

i know dis is gonna be a flaming attack on my behalf but seriously has anyone got into any american university at all??? doesnt matter what uni , i wanna do this but ill be 19 wen i finish my BTEC i wanna jus get da hell out of here and go america but dont listen to my sob story , gusy please reply

thanks in advance
You need American qualifications to go to an American university, APs, taking the SATs etc and university admissions tests/essays.

Even if you had A-Levels at AAA it doesn't mean you could go to a US university.
y do you wanna go america so much?
Reply 3
well american universities are something different and UK unis are gonna be all the same i guess, ive had a hard time in the uk , i know pretty poor excuse but i really love the sunshine and the american lifestyle in general
Also, going to American universities (not including flights) can cost UP TO $35,000 a year. Aside from the tests and different qualifications you'd have to do.
Reply 5
Alexandra1234567
You need American qualifications to go to an American university, APs, taking the SATs etc and university admissions tests/essays.

Even if you had A-Levels at AAA it doesn't mean you could go to a US university.

Nope, not quite. American universities are perfectly happy to accept A-Levels, (and other international qualifications). Just as British Universities are happy to accept AP scores etc...
curlbe
Nope, not quite. American universities are perfectly happy to accept A-Levels, (and other international qualifications). Just as British Universities are happy to accept AP scores etc...

Not all of them. :smile: Almost all want SATs at least.

OP, if you're serious about this, take a look at this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=440030

It should cover most things.
Reply 7
Alexandra1234567
Not all of them. :smile: Almost all want SATs at least.

OP, if you're serious about this, take a look at this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=440030

It should cover most things.

Yeah but the SATs aren't a qualification taught in school like A levels...if OP really wants to go to uni in America he can just study on his own a bit and take the SATs on the weekend, that's what Americans do anyway. (I'm American btw)
Reply 8
Notorious123
i know dis is gonna be a flaming attack on my behalf but seriously has anyone got into any american university at all??? doesnt matter what uni , i wanna do this but ill be 19 wen i finish my BTEC i wanna jus get da hell out of here and go america but dont listen to my sob story , gusy please reply

thanks in advance

Doesn't matter whether you have A-levels or Btecs, you'll need to take an SAT test and entry exams for Ivy league schools. I'm looking to go to Louisiana State in 2011 and my university will consider paying my tution if a student from LSU wants to come to Sunderland for a semester.

The $35,000 tution is a LOT less if you can first of all get your name down as a tenant of the state renting a property... as university's/colleges will charge you less if you are officially a resident of its home state, for example my friend is at Auburn in AL and tution for a home resident is about what we pay for university here, but somebody from another state will pay 4x as much for not being natural to the state.

Best thing is to go to a UK university and do a trade semester through the Erasmus scheme [which will tell you which UK unis are linked to US colleges], you'll save money - get to spend time in America and the UK degree is a year shorter than the US one anyway... (UK being 'undergraduate' and US being 'batchelor')
If you have any questions I'm happy to answer...
curlbe
Yeah but the SATs aren't a qualification taught in school like A levels...if OP really wants to go to uni in America he can just study on his own a bit and take the SATs on the weekend, that's what Americans do anyway. (I'm American btw)

I didn't say that they were, or the OP would have to do anything otherwise to studying it on his/her own? :confused:

It's still a likely requirement if the OP wants to study in the US, I made no dictation of how/when they would take the exams.
Notorious123
well american universities are something different and UK unis are gonna be all the same i guess, ive had a hard time in the uk , i know pretty poor excuse but i really love the sunshine and the american lifestyle in general

You're aware that America isn't entirely sunny yes?
Also, what universities are you looking at?
i wanted to go to either any universities in california or florida or new york state or detroit and as a last resort hawaii!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/good_university_guide/article4033892.ece

If you really are serious this may help.
New York isn't a particularly sunny place, nor is Michigan.
And what grades have you got? I know that a lot of the California campuses e.g. Berkeley are some of the best in the world and thus have very high standards e.g. they usually send for Oxbridge students on exchange programmes.
Reply 13
Alexandra1234567
I didn't say that they were, or the OP would have to do anything otherwise to studying it on his/her own? :confused:

It's still a likely requirement if the OP wants to study in the US, I made no dictation of how/when they would take the exams.

Yes, but in your original post, it sounded like you were saying that the OP would need to put in a whole lot of extra effort to apply to unis in the US because he didn't go to school there:

but in reality, he'll just have to do the same things as American applicants...study a bit, take a 3.5 hr.

SAT (which can be taken in the UK), and fill out the apps. I'm just trying to point out to the OP that he's not at any disadvantage compared to American applicants of the same academic caliber...not trying to contradict you just for the hell of it, just giving my two cents since I was brought up in the US but went to uni in the UK (and applied to unis in both countries) so I understand both systems...
curlbe
Yes, but in your original post, it sounded like you were saying that the OP would need to put in a whole lot of extra effort to apply to unis in the US because he didn't go to school there:

but in reality, he'll just have to do the same things as American applicants...study a bit, take a 3.5 hr.

SAT (which can be taken in the UK), and fill out the apps. I'm just trying to point out to the OP that he's not at any disadvantage compared to American applicants of the same academic caliber...not trying to contradict you just for the hell of it, just giving my two cents since I was brought up in the US but went to uni in the UK (and applied to unis in both countries) so I understand both systems...

I think you were reading far too much into the intonation of my post. :lolwut:

I didn't say he was at a disadvantage, just pointing out (because they seemed worried about 'only having a BTEC' as if it was really bad) even if they had fantastic UK grades its not a guarantee, as there are things he can/would need to do to equalise and stand a chance, i.e. some American qualifications.

And I don't doubt that you understand both systems either :s.
This is an old post but was wondering if you went and studied in the US? My daughter wants to go to the US to study Musical Theatre, for the experience and to widen her knowledge. It’s because schools a better far from it. Wondering how you got on?
Original post by Ausdreamer
This is an old post but was wondering if you went and studied in the US? My daughter wants to go to the US to study Musical Theatre, for the experience and to widen her knowledge. It’s because schools a better far from it. Wondering how you got on?

Very few US universities will accept BTECs. Almost all of them want to see three A levels, usually with pretty good (BBB) grades, as well as at least 5 GCSEs with C grade or higher. BTECs usually won't be enough for most places in America.
Reply 17
Your UK qualifications are fine. But you must sit either the SAT or ACT, unless you apply to test optional schools.
Hi I hope I made it and if so any advice because I can relate…
Original post by Alexandra1234567

People chat so much **** without doing enough research. The SAT and ACT tests aren't even being required anymore for alot of American University's. AP's are the equivalent of A Levels and Alevels are recognised by majority of American colleges. It isn't rocket science to apply as an international student. With good enough grades, a good highschool transcript, councilor recommendation letter, and essay, you will be fine. You didn't even answer their question about whether BTECS are accepted, like they didn't ask you if it was possible to get into an American college, international students aren't rare 💀.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending