The Student Room Group

equivalent qualifications

:confused: lotsly confused bout all these options ive got after this years course wondered if anyone can help?

i'm studying 'national certificate level 2 in enviromental conservation' this year and have choices in either:

'advanced nvq level 3 in countryside management' or 'national diploma in countryside management' for next year.

I have been told that the 'advanced nvq level 3 in countryside management' is equivalent to a 'higher national diploma in enviromental management'

I have also been told that the 'national diploma in countryside management' is higher than the 'advanced nvq level 3 in countryside management' but the follow on to that is the 'higher national diploma in enviromental management' ???????? :confused:

so basically i want to know if a 'HND' is the same as an 'advanced level3 NVQ'

and also if the 'advanced level3 NVQ' is better than the 'ND'

if anybody can tell me please do :smile:

tanx-a-lot!

oh an im sorry if it dont make sense to you but thats how i got it!!!!
Reply 1
The pecking order is generally seen as:

Degree (a good one hopefully)

then

HND (also known as Have No Degree)
NVQ (also known as B&Q)
ND (also known as No Degree)
Key Skills (can't think of a silly moniker)

J.
Reply 2
well thanks for that hornblower. but i didnt realy apprieciate the 'extra' descriptions. and also what if youve got a nvq level 4? or 5? how does that compare to other qualifications?

I like NVQ's they show you can do the work not just you know how to do the work without ever actually doing it.
Reply 3
the evil trees
well thanks for that hornblower. but i didnt realy apprieciate the 'extra' descriptions. and also what if youve got a nvq level 4? or 5? how does that compare to other qualifications?

I like NVQ's they show you can do the work not just you know how to do the work without ever actually doing it.

So does having a degree. I couldn't have none my website without being at university.

NVQ's are different A levels and cannot really be compared. NVQs are no good to get into unviersity for example. Ultimatly an HND is academically harder than an NVQ. It also depends what the NVQ is in. NVQ Level 3 is supposed to be similar to 3 A levels but A levels are harder. Level 2 is the same as GCSEs but GCSEs are harder etc. NVQs just show that you can do one particular job. Most people don't do Level 4 or 5 because they tend to part time foundation degrees or honours degrees instead.
Reply 4
the evil trees

Sorry about that! However, it is widely accepted that the degree is the 'gold standard'.

Vocational qualifications are not seen as on par with the traditional academic ones. Those monikers I used are not made up by me - people I know use the phrases!

One sad fact is that our local dustmen were recently in the local paper, with a reasonably-sized photo as well, because they got an NVQ level 2 in some rubbish-related subject. Oh, what wonderful news! They have the 'equivalent' of GCSEs! Page-filler...

J.
Reply 5
hornblower
Sorry about that! However, it is widely accepted that the degree is the 'gold standard'.

Vocational qualifications are not seen as on par with the traditional academic ones. Those monikers I used are not made up by me - people I know use the phrases!

One sad fact is that our local dustmen were recently in the local paper, with a reasonably-sized photo as well, because they got an NVQ level 2 in some rubbish-related subject. Oh, what wonderful news! They have the 'equivalent' of GCSEs! Page-filler...

J.

Thats what its like for the 40% of our generation that will never get any proper qualifications.
Reply 6
hornblower

J.

maybe not great headline filling news but without that qualification available for others to learn, people may not know how to collect that rubbish and we would all be living in, basically, shit!

just because one qualification is more academic it shouldnt mean that you shun the others, theey are just as or posibly even more important than degrees etc.
Reply 7
the evil trees
maybe not great headline filling news but without that qualification available for others to learn, people may not know how to collect that rubbish and we would all be living in, basically, shit!

just because one qualification is more academic it shouldnt mean that you shun the others, theey are just as or posibly even more important than degrees etc.

The binmen have been doing the job for ages - they only underwent the course quite recently.

Shunning qualifications? I am merely stating what is generally perceived - academic qualifications are more prestigious. I did not mention anything about relative importance. :smile:

J.
Reply 8
if somebody in the know could possibly right up a comparisan graph/table for all possible qualifications (if that is actually possible) or at least as many as possible, that would be a great help, the awarding bodies should all get sorted out and decide on a set of qualifications rather than all these petty little ones. it gets many people confused (including me) and should be a lot easier to know than it is now.

to hornblower: i'd much rather have a nvq than a degree (although it would be nice to say i have one) as then i know, as would perspective employers know, that i can do the stuff i'm qualified for not just that i theoretically know how to do it. ( nvq's also have written work to you know)

NVQ's forever!!!!
:biggrin:
Reply 9
the evil trees
if somebody in the know could possibly right up a comparisan graph/table for all possible qualifications (if that is actually possible) or at least as many as possible, that would be a great help, the awarding bodies should all get sorted out and decide on a set of qualifications rather than all these petty little ones. it gets many people confused (including me) and should be a lot easier to know than it is now.

to hornblower: i'd much rather have a nvq than a degree (although it would be nice to say i have one) as then i know, as would perspective employers know, that i can do the stuff i'm qualified for not just that i theoretically know how to do it. ( nvq's also have written work to you know)

NVQ's forever!!!!
:biggrin:

You can't compare NVQ's to a degree they are both totaly different things. Degrees are much more in depth and there are many jobs you can't do without a degree. For example computing any job above £20k in this feild requires a degree so same applies and always has done to medicine and law. Degrees enable you do many different jobs because of the transferable skills where as NVQs just 'train' you do one job.
Hey,

i think it depends alot on what you want to do and what you need to do it...
For example, one the best jobs in cental london in a cabby... altough they need an advanced driving test etc, and need to know all the roads, they need no qualifactions for this job and it pays very very well....!

However, im starting my degree next year in policing (taking a year out after 6th form)... its a 4 year course and will give me a hugh scope for employment after wards, mainly because its a degree!
However, ive opted for the 4 year contiunation course, which means im tied down to the police after the degree so they will help pay my fees, housing, transport etc...This is a job ive wanted for many years, to help people, and getting a degree in it aswell seems like a great idea!!!

If you had a degree in psychology, you could still join, for example, the tesco management just becuz you have a degree!

There are other way aorund getting paid loads, for example, delivering Klenease catalouge, u get 26% of all sales, and if you employ 10 people, you will get 6% of each of there profit (making 86% of all sales) etc... my next door neighbour has made a brilliant living from this although i dont think its a good job to tell ya mates..lol...!

Crunchie

Latest

Trending

Trending