The Student Room Group

Will the bill increase applications to scottish universities?

My sister wants to become a doctor and was horrified last night as the results were read out.
I have a lot of confidence in her and reflecting on her recent gcse mock examination results, i am confident that she will achieve at least 7A* grades if not 10.
Since the bill had been passed she decided that she would apply to read medicine at cambridge or oxford, edingburgh, aberdeen and possibly another scottish university. I am sadened by this as Mr Blairs plans are already causing would be med students and others to rethink their future plans. I tried to explain to her that it wouldn't affect her future standard of living greatly but she just wasn't having any of it. I only hope that she'll get into oxbridge, no disrespect to aberdeen or edingburgh as they are both excellent medical schools.

What are your views?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GoodLooking
My sister wants to become a doctor and was horrified last night as the results were read out.
I have a lot of confidence in her and reflecting on her recent gcse mock examination results, i am confident that she will achieve at least 7A* grades if not 10.
Since the bill had been passed she decided that she would apply to read medicine at cambridge or oxford, edingburgh, aberdeen and possibly another scottish university. I am sadened by this as Mr Blairs plans are already causing would be med students and others to rethink their future plans. I tried to explain to her that it wouldn't affect her future standard of living greatly but she just wasn't having any of it. I only hope that she'll get into oxbridge, no disrespect to aberdeen or edingburgh as they are both excellent medical schools.

What are your views?

English students will still have to pay tuition fees even if they study in a scottish university
Reply 2
elpaw
English students will still have to pay tuition fees even if they study in a scottish university

There's meant to be a supposed 'concession' with medical students anyway, hopefully the government will recognise that we can't leave medical school with £60K+ in debts.
Reply 3
timeofyourlife
There's meant to be a supposed 'concession' with medical students anyway, hopefully the government will recognise that we can't leave medical school with £60K+ in debts.

60k debts?? Where do you get that from?

The re-payment in England will be more favourable than in Scotland.
Reply 4
jammyd
60k debts?? Where do you get that from?

The re-payment in England will be more favourable than in Scotland.

That's what would happen if they charged variable tuition fees. Some of my medic friends are already £30K in debt and that's only paying the basic £1k a year, not to mention living expenses...
Reply 5
timeofyourlife
That's what would happen if they charged variable tuition fees. Some of my medic friends are already £30K in debt and that's only paying the basic £1k a year, not to mention living expenses...

what are they spending the money on? do they have a mortgage on 7 houses and a racehorse?
Reply 6
Maybe it will encourage scottish students to stay in Scotlad, but for an English student to go to a scottish university the fees would be no different to an english uni.
Reply 7
elpaw
what are they spending the money on? do they have a mortgage on 7 houses and a racehorse?

Lol! I've only been here for under 2 terms and have spent close to 3.5 grand, it does all add up! And my racehorse isn't doing particularly well this season either.
Reply 8
timeofyourlife
Lol! I've only been here for under 2 terms and have spent close to 3.5 grand, it does all add up! And my racehorse isn't doing particularly well this season either.

but spending 29K a year? seriously, what are they spending it on? concorde flights?
Even under the new system the maximum a 5 yr med student could be owing to the government would be £35k.

I can't imagine *any* bank lending £25k in unsecured loans/overdrafts to a student with no credit history.
Reply 10
elpaw
but spending 29K a year? seriously, what are they spending it on? concorde flights?

No, no, the medics in question are in the 4th year!! Otherwise, I'd hope someone would certainly be cancelling their credit cards!
Reply 11
Pencil Queen
Even under the new system the maximum a 5 yr med student could be owing to the government would be £35k.

I can't imagine *any* bank lending £25k in unsecured loans/overdrafts to a student with no credit history.

But £35k is very expensive, especially considering living costs can be up to £5K a year.
Reply 12
timeofyourlife
No, no, the medics in question are in the 4th year!! Otherwise, I'd hope someone would certainly be cancelling their credit cards!

oh, i thought that that was what they were spending in a year :rolleyes:

7.5K a year is still quite excessive, im only on 1.4K debt.
Reply 13
elpaw
oh, i thought that that was what they were spending in a year :rolleyes:

7.5K a year is still quite excessive, im only on 1.4K debt.

The medical student who was on the BBC news last night (who originally quizzed Tony Blair) raised quite an interesting point
"Why should doctors have to pay extortionate amounts of money for their education when it benefits society as whole. Shouldn't it be spread out through tax payers, essentially as the service given by doctors contributes to all in society and so is it not unreasonable to ask society to pay for it?"
It certainly shut Blair up for a few minutes.
Reply 14
the figure of 60 odd thousand for medics is for those living in London and doing a 6 year course and it is beleivable if you think about how extortionate the rent is. Also is you think that many edics need to run a car once they get into the 3rd year or above because they have placements in a varity of hospitals etc. Also they get less vacation time so they can't earn as much money in their holidays and added to that they have so many contact hours that it is harder for thm to get paid employment in term time (i live with medics by the way so they constantly rubbish the life of an art student eg me )
Reply 15
emom100
the figure of 60 odd thousand for medics is for those living in London and doing a 6 year course and it is beleivable if you think about how extortionate the rent is. Also is you think that many edics need to run a car once they get into the 3rd year or above because they have placements in a varity of hospitals etc. Also they get less vacation time so they can't earn as much money in their holidays and added to that they have so many contact hours that it is harder for thm to get paid employment in term time (i live with medics by the way so they constantly rubbish the life of an art student eg me )

I completely agree.
timeofyourlife
But £35k is very expensive, especially considering living costs can be up to £5K a year.

True it's not cheap but it's a long way from £60k.

And under the new system every student will have £4k pa in student loans to help towards living costs (and earning £1kpa during the summer holidays isn't quite so hard as earning the £3k that students who pay their up front fees currently have to find to live on)
Reply 17
Pencil Queen
True it's not cheap but it's a long way from £60k.

And under the new system every student will have £4k pa in student loans to help towards living costs (and earning £1kpa during the summer holidays isn't quite so hard as earning the £3k that students who pay their up front fees currently have to find to live on)

Our summer holidays from the second year on are incredibly short unfortunately, and we are not allowed to work during term time. I'm not a particularly heavy spender, but I can confidently say I would have spent £7/8K by the end of the academic year (including fees etc. and no loan)
emom100

Yes but they'll only owe £48k to the government (£3kpa fees + £5kpa loans) - who is going to lend them the other £12k?....that's £2k a year of debt that they'll apparantly be accruing with invisible banks

I don't know any that will offer an overdraft of more than £2k over the entire 6 yr course...and most credit cards wont allow you more than £1000 while you're studying.

So that leaves a mystery £9000 that these medics are borrowing from somewhere?....or are the NUS assuming that medical students are incapable of working during their summer holidays like every other student and so helping towards funding their own living costs.
timeofyourlife
Our summer holidays from the second year on are incredibly short unfortunately, and we are not allowed to work during term time. I'm not a particularly heavy spender, but I can confidently say I would have spent £7/8K by the end of the academic year (including fees etc. and no loan)

True but why aren't you claiming the extra funding from your LEA for having a longer academic year. I used to get about £200 for having 2 weeks of my easter holidays taken up by field trips. All you need is a stamped letter explaining your term times and the number of weeks send it to your LEA and you get a rgant to cover that period of time.

Latest

Trending

Trending