The Student Room Group

Cambridge entry

We live in Virginia but are British. My oldest daughter would like to go to Cambridge to study English Literature. She is very motivated (where does she get it from?), bright and hardworking. She is a very fine poet. Does anyone know how hard it is to get into Cambridge? Also, what is important, AP/ SATS/ ACT/ Interview/ Application forms etc? US education is far more broad based than A levels (in my opinion much better!), but she is concerned she will not have studied her favourite subjects in enough depth (English, History and French). Which are the best colleges - she likes lively people and needs a variety of people? Can you apply to several colleges? Anything else we need to know.

She is in tenth grade, so will not be going for two years.

Thanks
Reply 1
Can a mod delete this? The user has posted exactly the same thread in the "Oxbridge" sub forum in a pathetic attempt to exact more replies. Either that or the sub forum business is confusing newbies :tongue:
Reply 2
Tek
Can a mod delete this? The user has posted exactly the same thread in the "Oxbridge" sub forum in a pathetic attempt to exact more replies. Either that or the sub forum business is confusing newbies :tongue:

wot? is there sum conpetition to get more replies....this person just wants sum help for her daughter i dont think she/he is trying to compete with u to get more replies.
Reply 3
Uzz
OP
lgs98jonee
wot? is there sum conpetition to get more replies....this person just wants sum help for her daughter i dont think she/he is trying to compete with u to get more replies.

Thank you, I really appreciate this response. That is all I am trying to do.
Reply 4
lgs98jonee

This guy "tek" is so hell bent on bursting everyones bubble, is he scared someone will get his uni place?! you should see the snobby comments on the "easy A-level" thread! !!

Anyway, Cambridge is not easy to get into, its reputation attracts many more than able candidates. It isn't especially high in terms of applicant to actual places ratio, like Nottingham uni have to contend with. It is about 60-70% private school (exact ratio is in the Heap Uni guide), so students typically have more than the average of 3 a-levels, most with 4 some 5.

The application form isn't the only deciding point as they know that many pupils have help in compiling the "perfect" ucas form, the interview is quite important, but if you do mess it up it isn't the be all and end all, if you do especially well in the written test. She will need to read around her chosen subject and anticipate what sort of questions they may ask.

You can make an "open" application if you have no real college preference, you then get automatically allocate to the college with the least applicants for your subject, so it may work out well. You can choose a preferred college but may get interviewed in another, for pooling purposes.

I'm sure the tutors will take into account the breadth of your daughters education and not be deterred by having not done a-levels, if anything it will look good if she is a strong all-rounder. They do tend to like overseas applicants perhaps due to the rediculous amounts of money that they try and extract from you, which isn't all that fair.

Before i get criticism from people like tek, i do actually know a bit about the Uni as my neighbour is in her third year now.

Going to Cambridge isn't the be all and end all of Uni life, there are some equally good places regarding teaching quality and *almost*reputation :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 5
http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/int/usa/quals.shtml

That's the Oxford entry requirements for international applicants. I imagine that the ones from Cambridge would be quite similar. Maybe you could also try emailing somebody at Cambridge, try to get some advice from them. :smile:
Reply 6
This may be of some use (although it doesn't really give specific requirements like the oxford page does): http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/international/students/index.html#heading2
Reply 7
Tek

Shut up, Tek.
Reply 8
Bigcnee
Shut up, Tek.

Agreed...
Reply 9
Hi,

I applied to Cambridge for English Lit. this year. I was pooled but unfortunately rejected.

To be honest I think the best preparation is simply reading. Not too much but a fairly extensive range. Also you have to think in a lot of detail about what it is you're reading.

Cambridge is tough, but they take people who deserve their places. Good luck to your daughter!

Adam
Reply 10
lgs98jonee

Yes, it's called wasting bandwidth! You don't just post five or six times in different sub forums to get people to notice you - it's simply pathetic, like your spelling, punctuation and grammar!
Tek
Yes, it's called wasting bandwidth! You don't just post five or six times in different sub forums to get people to notice you - it's simply pathetic, like your spelling, punctuation and grammar!

why are you so horrible?
Reply 12
Tek

Why are you being like this? This forum is to ask for advice and that is what this person has done. Take my advice and stop coming out with abusive and hurtful comments
Reply 13
Tek

Ignore him - he is an immature imbecile that needs to learn some respect.
Reply 14
What's more amusing Bigcnee, is the fact I've just recieved neg rep saying "you shut up". I assume it's from Tek, him being ever childish and all... :smile:
Reply 15
Petrozzi
What's more amusing Bigcnee, is the fact I've just recieved neg rep saying "you shut up". I assume it's from Tek, him being ever childish and all... :smile:

Lol... so childish.

Latest

Trending

Trending