OK, here's the information about the original study:

ACCESSION NUMBER: 1981-07061-001
DOCUMENT TYPE: Journal-Article
MEDIA TYPE: Print-Paper
AUTHOR: Tyler,-Sherman-W; Hertel,-Paula-T; McCallum,-Marvin-C; Ellis,-Henry-C
AUTHOR AFFILIATION: Tyler,-Sherman-W: U New Mexico, Albuquerque
TITLE: Cognitive effort and memory.
PUBLICATION YEAR: 1979
SOURCE: Journal-of-Experimental-Psychology:-Human-Learning-and-Memory. 1979 Nov; Vol 5(6): 607-617
URL-JOURNAL: http://www.apa.org/journals/xlm.html
PUBLISHER: US: American Psychological Assn.
URL-Publisher: http://www.apa.org
ISSN (PRINT VERSION): 0096-1515
DIGITAL OBJECT IDENTIFIER: doi:10.1037//0278-7393.5.6.607
LANGUAGE: English
ABSTRACT: Suggests that the concept of cognitive effort in memory is both useful and important. Cognitive effort is defined as the engaged proportion of limited-capacity central processing. Using 80 undergraduates in 4 experiments, it was hypothesized that this variable might have important memorial consequences and be a potential confounding factor in levels-of-processing paradigms. Exp I tested this possibility using 2 types of incidental-learning tasks factorially combined with 2 degrees of effort. High effort led to better recall than low effort, but level-of-processing effects were nonsignificant. Exp II demonstrated the feasibility of using performance on a secondary task as an independent criterion for measuring effort, and Exps III-IV ruled out alternative accounts of effort effects. A reliable levels-of-processing effect was obtained in Exp IV, in which the incidental-learning tasks were blocked. (18 ref) (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2002 APA, all rights reserved)
KEY CONCEPTS: cognitive effort, word recall, college students
MAJOR DESCRIPTORS: *Cognitive-Processes; *Recall-Learning; *Words-Phonetic-Units
CLASSIFICATION CODE: 2340-Cognitive-Processes; 2340; 23
POPULATION: Human
SPECIAL FEATURE: References; Peer-Reviewed
UPDATE CODE: 19810401
URLs etc: DIGITAL-OBJECT-IDENTIFIER (DOI); URL; URL-PUBLISHER (URLP); URL; URL-JOURNAL (URLJ)

I can't find the actual article on the web. If you want I might be able to get it out of my university library and photocopy it for you. Send me an email at [email protected] if you want.

Amorya
Reply 3
TK
OP
Amorya
OK, here's the information about the original study:

I can't find the actual article on the web. If you want I might be able to get it out of my university library and photocopy it for you. Send me an email at [email protected] if you want.

Amorya

oh thank you soo much! my email address is [email protected]

I know for definite that it's in Journal of Experimental Psychology (Human Learning and Memory)
Reply 4
TK
OP
amorya - i tried to email you but it didn't work - i just hope you read this - thanks sooo much for your help so far

love katie
xxx
Reply 5
OK, read the thread. Will mail you now :smile:

Amorya
Reply 6
TK
OP
Amorya
OK, read the thread. Will mail you now :smile:

Amorya

thanks so much! :biggrin: