The Student Room Group

Is Queen's University Belfast or Trinity College Dublin better?

I have an offer from both Queen's University Belfast to study Aerospace Engineering and Trinity College Dublin to study Engineering. Which is better?
Never heard of Trinity College Dublin but Queens is good for engineering. Although I'm not really qualified to comment. Queens is in the UK so it may be cheaper for you to study there, and the course will be accredited by UK engineering bodies.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Never heard of Trinity College Dublin but Queens is good for engineering. Although I'm not really qualified to comment. Queens is in the UK so it may be cheaper for you to study there, and the course will be accredited by UK engineering bodies.

Tuitions fees in the Republic are free, you just pay 'processing costs' or something, but they're like £1,000 I think. Trinity is Ireland's equivalent to Oxbridge I think, so go for it! But remember cost of living in Dublin etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Lewis :D
Tuitions fees in the Republic are free, you just pay 'processing costs' or something, but they're like £1,000 I think. Trinity is Ireland's equivalent to Oxbridge I think, so go for it! But remember cost of living in Dublin etc.

Is that for everyone or just people from Ireland?
Reply 4
Original post by BluesMan
Is that for everyone or just people from Ireland?

Irish and EU students
Reply 5
TCD has a good reputation in Ireland, and Northern Ireland. Queen's is going downhill, but other than that, I'm not really sure
Reply 6
Original post by Lewis :D

[QUOTE=Lewis [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];33786884]Tuitions fees in the Republic are free, you just pay 'processing costs' or something, but they're like £1,000 I think. Trinity is Ireland's equivalent to Oxbridge I think, so go for it! But remember cost of living in Dublin etc.

2000 Euros a year, and thats alot especially seeing as there next-to-no loans system in Ireland. All your accomodation, foods, fees come straight out of your pocket.
Reply 7
1000 pounds are not two thousand euros! The pound is going downhill, and so is the euro. massive inflations are the effect.. 1000 pounds are something between 1300 and 1500 euros.
Reply 8
Original post by Helenchen

Original post by Helenchen
1000 pounds are not two thousand euros! The pound is going downhill, and so is the euro. massive inflations are the effect.. 1000 pounds are something between 1300 and 1500 euros.

So?

The "Registration fees" are 2000 euros.
It is €2000, now for the upcoming academic year. It was €1500 the year before, and €900 the year before. There have been commitments given that it will not rise further though.

Trinity scores far higher than Queens in the rankings. I don't know about Engineering specifically but there is no department in Trinity that's not top of its class. It requires higher maths and is extremely well respected. You might find out more on www.boards.ie and look for TCD under 'Edu'. There's plenty of threads on engineering.
Reply 10
There is no comparison between the two place. Trinity (established 1592) is one of the highest ranking universities in the world. It is also one of the 'seven ancient universities', along with Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, etc, etc. You only have to look at the place to see that it's essentially Ireland's Oxbridge. Queens............mmmmm..........not so sure. If it's prestige you want, I'd say Trinity for sure. But comparing the two places is like comparing Oxford U. with Aston University. There's just no contest.
Original post by Mike 21
There is no comparison between the two place. Trinity (established 1592) is one of the highest ranking universities in the world. It is also one of the 'seven ancient universities', along with Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, etc, etc. You only have to look at the place to see that it's essentially Ireland's Oxbridge. Queens............mmmmm..........not so sure. If it's prestige you want, I'd say Trinity for sure. But comparing the two places is like comparing Oxford U. with Aston University. There's just no contest.

I don't think that's an accurate comparison. Oxford is world-renowned, and the entry requirements for the Russell group Queen's are quite a bit higher than Aston. If you do some research you will find this. I'd say that it's more like comparing Uni of Bristol with Queen Mary or Liverpool. I don't think the difference between the two is as stark as you're making out.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Mike 21

In the QS 2023 international rankings of universities (there are 27,000 universities in the world) Trinity College Dublin is ranked 95 which is excellent but several UK Russell Group universities are even ranked higher, such as the University of Leeds which is ranked 86 and the University of Bristol is ranked 61. The Times HE world university rankings place Queen's Belfast at 198, right alongside Durham university. I would say that both Trinity and Queen's are very well regarded and manifestly prestigious universities, in which any student should feel justly proud.

Quick Reply

Latest