The Student Room Group

French help please

I need to translate this sentence, but I'm not sure whether I can literally translate the bit in bold:

The response of western countries has been to devote large sums of money to big building projects which do not meet the needs of the developing countries.

So far I've got:

La réponse des pays occidentaux a été consacrer de grandes sommes de l’argent aux programmes du rénovation des bâtiment qui ne répondent pas aux besoins des pays en voie de développement.

Is the bit in bold OK?
Reply 1
Dreyfus
I need to translate this sentence, but I'm not sure whether I can literally translate the bit in bold:

The response of western countries has been to devote large sums of money to big building projects which do not meet the needs of the developing countries.

So far I've got:

La réponse des pays occidentaux a été consacrer de grandes sommes de l’argent aux programmes du rénovation des bâtiment qui ne répondent pas aux besoins des pays en voie de développement.

Is the bit in bold OK?

I think it should be - that's what I'd have done. I think I'd put des grandes sommes. But please don't just assume I'm right. I also think that if you're translating big building projects like that I'd write des bâtiments. A second opinion?
Reply 2
Thanks. I think the 'de grandes sommes' is correct - a plural adjective before the noun takes 'de' instead of 'du, de la or des'. You're right about 'bâtiments' though! Silly French typo!
Reply 3
Can anyone else help?
Reply 4
Dreyfus
Can anyone else help?

I'd like to hep but I study Spanish i'm afraid.
Reply 5
Dreyfus

So far I've got:

Is the bit in bold OK?

I think the bit in bold is meant to be a ete consacree (accent on all e's except the last)
Reply 6
La réponse des pays occidentaux a été de consacrer des grandes sommes de l’argent aux programmes du rénovation des bâtiment qui ne répondent pas aux besoins des pays en voie de développement.

That's my opinion. Frankly quite often I happen to be right :biggrin:.

Cheers.
I would be inclined to agree with Ramaya on that one as I've always been told to use the past participle when it is after "etre" in any form. But french is weird so you never know! xxx
Reply 8
Dreyfus

So far I've got:

Is the bit in bold OK?

hiya
I have got some corrections for you maty (I am French so you can trust me)
" a été de consacrer", "sommes d'argent", "de rénovation" and "bâtiments"
Reply 9
Thanks for the help. Is it me, or is that particular construction (la réponse a été de faire quelque chose) not very good French? I get the impression that 'les pays occidentaux ont répondu en consacrant de grandes sommes d'argent...' would sound better, although it conveys a slightly different meaning.

Latest

Trending

Trending