The Student Room Group
Reply 1
seana
I have never been to coventry...is it difficult to get part-time work at Warwick while studying full time law and would that be advisable...

does anyone know what accomodation is like at warwick

also what are the job prospects after completion of an llb at warwick...
thanks

Hiya. I'm considering Warwick myself and have looked at some of the accomodation myself and spoken to others about it. Although I'm not actually there so others may do better than me my impression of it is:

All the halls are self catered apart from one catered hall which is further away from the centre of campus (students union etc) than the other halls.
There are 2 main ensuite halls called Arthur Vic and Jack Martin all with single rooms and another one called Benefactors with some shared en suite rooms. These halls are supposed to be REALLY nice, (especially Artur Vick) and I have heard people compare them to travel lodges!. Some people have said that people living in the en suite halls tend to be quieter and keep themselves to themselves more (stay in their rooms on their own more) than people in some of the non-en suite accomodation although this is only a general view.

For the non ensuite halls the most popular/highly recommended one seems to be Rootes. I think it's one of the biggest non- en suite halls and is suppost to be the most fun, down to earth, lively and outgoing. All the rooms are single and reasonably big for uni halls rooms. Bathrooms. There is old and new rootes - new rootes supposedly being the best. Rootes halls are the most traditional uni halls there - they're just like you would imagine them to be. Not too far from the centre of campus and student union. Bathrooms and kitchens are shared amongst quite a few students but I don't think this would be too bad as you'd all be getting up and cooking at different times etc.
I also saw Whitfields "halls" which were like little houses with I think above 5 rooms a lounge, kitchen and bathroom in each - although I didn't see inside. Some of these are like RIGHT next to the student union so whether or not you would like them depends on what type of a person you are I guess! Have heard that these areas can get very noisey! Cryfield is supposed to be another down to earth hall.
I think all the ones I've mentioned have data points in the bedroom.

Westwood is the catered hall a bit further away from the centre of things but good if you don't like cooking/prefer being in a quietr area.
There are many other halls but the ones I've mentioned are the only ones I know about.

It's worth looking at the Warwick website as they have loads of good info on their accomodation on there.

You may want to clarify some of what I have said with people actually at Warwick though - i know picju is.

Regarding job prospects I think they would be very good from Warwick as it is a highly rated uni. For law I think it would give you a good start to your career - only Oxbridge, LSE etc can really beat it.

Not sure about part time jobs but I wouldn't imagine it would be TOO hard with Coventry city reasonably near and any jobs that may be available on campus during term time (even better). Again I would ask someone already there. I would be interested to know more about this as i think I would need to work whilst at uni too. I think you would be ok with part time work as long as you didnt do over about 12-15 hours a week (I think the uni guidlines may reflect this - again worth checking).

Hope this helps, but it is only my (possibly misinformed) view of things. Also as I'm considering Warwick I may be slightly bias and so have only noticed the good things.
Reply 2
It might be worth renaming this thread something with Warwick in it so more people who are at/know about/are thinking of the uni will post.

Latest