The Student Room Group

Hints on Offering Personal Tutoring service to GCSE Students

Hi,

I'm currently considering expanding my career into the teaching arena and believe a good start to this would be to offer private 1 to 1 tutoring part-time. I graduated in 1995 with a degree in IT having completed GCSE and A Level computing, and have worked in the IT field ever since. I would like some advise on where to find information on the Northern Ireland Curriculum for GCSE ICT/IT/Computing, and any tips on offering this type of service would be appreciated.

Thanks
NewTutor
Hi,

I'm currently considering expanding my career into the teaching arena and believe a good start to this would be to offer private 1 to 1 tutoring part-time. I graduated in 1995 with a degree in IT having completed GCSE and A Level computing, and have worked in the IT field ever since. I would like some advise on where to find information on the Northern Ireland Curriculum for GCSE ICT/IT/Computing, and any tips on offering this type of service would be appreciated.

Thanks

There was a GCSE available in computing in 1988?
Reply 2
I don't know much about it, but I think you may need some sort of small teaching qualification. You may also need police checks and stuff with the whole paedophile thing! All I can suggest is typing "private tutoring" into search engines, and perhaps looking through your paper for existing tutors (probably best if not in your field) and contacting them for advice! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Reply 3
shazza
I don't know much about it, but I think you may need some sort of small teaching qualification. You may also need police checks and stuff with the whole paedophile thing! All I can suggest is typing "private tutoring" into search engines, and perhaps looking through your paper for existing tutors (probably best if not in your field) and contacting them for advice! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Shazza,
I've a NVQ Trainers Qualification and have had Police checks performed for several jobs I've had in the past I'm hoping that this will be enough to give me a start anyway. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, thanks!
Reply 4
Pencil Queen
There was a GCSE available in computing in 1988?

Yep, the first year to do GCSE's in Northern Ireland
NewTutor
Yep, the first year to do GCSE's in Northern Ireland

Sorry - I don't mean to doubt you...I was just surprised that it was offered in such a "new" subject as computing - you must have been at a very forward thinking school :smile:

BTW one peice of advice I've heard for potential tutors is to get a full police check done for your own records and provide all enquirers with a copy (or include it in any advertising). Apparantly a lot of parents don't think to ask about these things so advertising/presenting it up front gives an edge on tutors who are a little more cagey about their background.

Another suggestion for your first tutees would be to offer a discount on condition that their parents provide you with a review/reference after a given amount of time.
Reply 6
Pencil Queen
Sorry - I don't mean to doubt you...I was just surprised that it was offered in such a "new" subject as computing - you must have been at a very forward thinking school :smile:

BTW one peice of advice I've heard for potential tutors is to get a full police check done for your own records and provide all enquirers with a copy (or include it in any advertising). Apparantly a lot of parents don't think to ask about these things so advertising/presenting it up front gives an edge on tutors who are a little more cagey about their background.

Another suggestion for your first tutees would be to offer a discount on condition that their parents provide you with a review/reference after a given amount of time.

Don't worry :-) I didn't think that at all, it's hard to believe GCSE's are that old!!! I appreciate your advice and will contact my local station for some advice. Thanks again!!

Latest

Trending

Trending