The Student Room Group

the contraceptive injection

does anyone know anything about? or had it done? i'm really forgetful so i just don't think the pill's for me + was wondering about this as alternative. apart from the usual weight gain, are their any other common side effects? any ifnormation would be appreciated.

lou xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lou p
does anyone know anything about? or had it done? i'm really forgetful so i just don't think the pill's for me + was wondering about this as alternative. apart from the usual weight gain, are their any other common side effects? any ifnormation would be appreciated.

lou xxx

a girl i know had it, dont think she had any weird side affects just had to get topped up every 3 months. pills ok u will get into the habit of takin it, i put mine next to my cd player cos every mornin i turn it on so im like.... 'oh yeah pill' !
Reply 2
lou p

lou xxx

My friend has the implant and insists on freaking me out by wiggling it in my face. YUK!
Reply 3
Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

Periods may be irregular or stop altogether.

Can cause headaches and skin problems.

Can take a year or more after stopping the injection for regular periods to return.

As the hormone is injected into the body, any side effects may continue for as long as the injection lasts, and sometimes longer.
Reply 4
Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs). neither does the pill, and this is something i'm not perticularly concerned about because both me and my bf are faithful

Periods may be irregular or stop altogether. blah, that would be rubbish, but that happened to my best friend when she went on the pill.

Can cause headaches and skin problems. also rubbishy if it happens

Can take a year or more after stopping the injection for regular periods to return. same for pill

As the hormone is injected into the body, any side effects may continue for as long as the injection lasts, and sometimes longer.

thanks people, so far this is pretty much what i thought.

lou xxx
Reply 5
lou p

lou xxx

i no someone who was on it, opposed to the pill that she had many bad side effects on, she said she really prefered the injection and i never noticed any weight gain on her
Reply 6
isnt the wieght gain long term effects?? Some people bloat or swell rather than put on wieght.
Reply 7
Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
Nor does the pill, if your sensible you will always use additional protection during sex (eg. condoms) whether your on the pill or not because neither is a 100% contraceptive

Periods may be irregular or stop altogether.
This is true, but sometimes the patient may be more happy if their period did stop altogether.

Can cause headaches and skin problems.
Myth! Complete fiction I believe

Can take a year or more after stopping the injection for regular periods to return.
not true not for that long at least, yes a time of recovery is needed but for not any more than two month to four months at most
my sister has it....because she flies between the uk/us a lot (as her bf lives in la) and found that she kept getting confused with the time differnce.

she says its quite painful..and as you have it in your bum she cant sit down for a couple of hours later...so she goes shoping.
she's fine after bout 3 hours, and sits on a plane for 14 hours the next day.

love Katy ***
Reply 9
ickle_katy

she cant sit down for a couple of hours later...so she goes shoping.

rofl excellent lol:tongue:
I have it. I get on well with it because I used to get really painful heavy periods, but I havnt had one for about a year (started on injection sept 2002). No weight gain, no headaches/skin problems etc.. and no pregnancies (I probably would have about 10 kids by now if I relied on remembering to take the pill every day :eek: ).

You dont have to have it in your bum, you can have it in your arm or leg too, but bum is less painful, although I do know what katy's sister means about not being to lie in bed properly (I have it at the top of my buttock, so no probs when sitting down).

Everybody responds to it differently but I have no problems with it, if you do try I hope you are as lucky as I have been :smile:
Reply 11
its different for everyone, i went on it for 2 years and put on 2 1/2 stone, dont get me wrong im no fat heffa now but compared to how thin i used to be its a lot. but apart from that its great, not having to remember pill, no periods etc...although my doctor said that i shouldnt diet or over excercise cos the weight will fall off naturally once my periods come back...so i cant wait for one! god never thought id say that!! but been off it for 3 months now and already 1/2 stones gone. i think it depends how willing you are to take the gamble, if id have known this would happen i never would have done it. but you know, people experience this with the pill too, so its just different people and how their bodies react.
poowpoow
its different for everyone, i went on it for 2 years and put on 2 1/2 stone, dont get me wrong im no fat heffa now but compared to how thin i used to be its a lot. but apart from that its great, not having to remember pill, no periods etc...although my doctor said that i shouldnt diet or over excercise cos the weight will fall off naturally once my periods come back...so i cant wait for one! god never thought id say that!! but been off it for 3 months now and already 1/2 stones gone. i think it depends how willing you are to take the gamble, if id have known this would happen i never would have done it. but you know, people experience this with the pill too, so its just different people and how their bodies react.

have to say I'm very confused by the person who said they (or a friend) has large side effects on pill but not injection. All the doctors I know (and everything i've been taught) is that you advise someone first to take pill (we mean at an early age like teens) then if the pill has few side effects to go on to the injection (if they so wish).
The injection is essentiqally the same as the pill
J
foolfarian
have to say I'm very confused by the person who said they (or a friend) has large side effects on pill but not injection. All the doctors I know (and everything i've been taught) is that you advise someone first to take pill (we mean at an early age like teens) then if the pill has few side effects to go on to the injection (if they so wish).
The injection is essentiqally the same as the pill
J

i had horrible side effects with the pill, i threw up constantly for 3 months and lots bout 3 stones...

love Katy ***
Reply 14
Cloudy
i no someone who was on it, opposed to the pill that she had many bad side effects on, she said she really prefered the injection and i never noticed any weight gain on her

it doesnt cause weight gain they advise that you may be hungrrier therefore gain weight but dont eat more and you'll be fine!
Reply 15
Just don't have sex, easy :tongue:
Reply 16
The injection can cause weight gain all by itself without increasing your appetite. My gf is on the pill and although preferring it because it means no painful periods and she doesnt have to remember to take a pill etc; the weight gain does get her down.
Reply 17
can i just check something here? *but thankyou everyone* does it actually stop your periods completely? surely that would be healthy to do for several years (ie. it's not uncommon for a woman to be on the pill from the age of 16/17 til late 20s, that's 10 years, surely you couldn't have the injections for as long?)

lou xxx
Reply 18
lou p
can i just check something here? *but thankyou everyone* does it actually stop your periods completely? surely that would be healthy to do for several years (ie. it's not uncommon for a woman to be on the pill from the age of 16/17 til late 20s, that's 10 years, surely you couldn't have the injections for as long?)

lou xxx

you can only have it for a max of 3 years and it has 3 effects itt can eithe stop periods/ make thm irregular or constant or leave them as normal.
Reply 19
i had the injection for about 8 months and it totally messed my periods up + i had worse mood swings than i usually do, however, my friend started it at the same time as me + hasn't had any problems with it. so i guess it just depends on the individual. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending