The Student Room Group
Reply 1
hihihihi
who has ADSL- how much do u pay and whats your connection/speed? modem costs etc and websites?

what in your opinions are the cheapest ISP's around for 256k+

i want to get adsl adn pay less than £30/month for 256k+ speed, any suggestions

Pipex Dial, 512k, £23.44 a month.
Reply 2
I have BT £29.99 a month 512k, 30mb web-space i think (i don't use it though). I think £29.99 a month is a bit too much. I saw this article today, looks interesting.

I've also heard of BT doing a £19.99 a month package at 512k, although you're limited to downloading 1gb a month (i don't know if that's an issue to you)
Reply 3
£30 a month for only 256Kbps? Don't even think about that because it would be the biggest rip-off ever!

Anyways, may I start by not going with Freeserve or BT Broadband. They charge ridiculously high prices and with the 'cheaper' ones, they have like a 1GB limit a month for downloading. The only good thing about them is that they might give you a free ADSL modem or sometimes make the line activation cheaper.

I'm currently using Plusnet 512kbps, all paid by myself. It costs £21.99 a month and there are no limits on how I can use it. I also get extra features like upload space on it's site etc.....The only bad point is that you have to pay for the line activation and ADSL modem yourself. There's a cheaper £18.99 a month package which is exactly the same but without the upload space (which you can get free from Angelfire or something) and it has no support for P2P fire-sharing (ie.Kazaa or DC++).

Anyways, I highly recommend that you visit www.adslguide.org.uk
Reply 4
BY/NTL have announced that they are upping their bandwidth speeds by 50%

ie 512k > 724k (£28)
1mb > 1.5mb (£40?)
2mb>3mb (£50)

best to get cable if you can :biggrin:
Dickie
BY/NTL have announced that they are upping their bandwidth speeds by 50%

ie 512k > 724k (£28)
1mb > 1.5mb (£40?)
2mb>3mb (£50)

best to get cable if you can :biggrin:

blue yonder hates me, whenever i go to change my services they all "raaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, go away, we dont like u" so have forced me to stay with BT, which sucks ass
Reply 6
bougeoursie_Roo
blue yonder hates me, whenever i go to change my services they all "raaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, go away, we dont like u" so have forced me to stay with BT, which sucks ass

heh

if its any consolation, BY have always been brilliant to me :smile:
Reply 7
As far as I'm concerned, the only few ISPs in UK with good money/performance ration are: PIPEX, PLUSNET, NILDRAM, FREEDOM 2 SURF

check out http://www.adslguide.co.uk
Reply 8
One of my mates is on freedom 2 surf, another is on bulldog and they both say they are very good. When i move inot a house next year i will probably choose one of these, most likely freedom 2 surf
I'm on Bulldog 1mbit, £27 + VAT a month. :smile:

Lots of people slag off bulldog, but it heavily depends on what exchange you're on no matter which ISP you're with... I appear to be on the Brixton exchange, which seems to have a fairly low contention.

Latest

Trending

Trending