The Student Room Group

Uni courses closing down

Was just reading an article in the Reading Evening Post about the University of Reading shutting down its music course this year - they're only going to be teaching final year students which means all other students have to find a course elsewhere (including those who have applied and make it a firm choice). Its due to funding issues apparently, and its the same at UEA where they are looking to close down 2 schools of study from next year (although they will keep on teaching current students until they have finished their degrees rather then making them transfer elsewhere). I was just wandering if anyone knows of any other uni's who are closing down courses due to lack of funding?
King's College has closed Chemistry, and is looking to close Bio-sciences as well!
Reply 2
Chicken
Was just reading an article in the Reading Evening Post about the University of Reading shutting down its music course this year - they're only going to be teaching final year students which means all other students have to find a course elsewhere (including those who have applied and make it a firm choice). Its due to funding issues apparently, and its the same at UEA where they are looking to close down 2 schools of study from next year (although they will keep on teaching current students until they have finished their degrees rather then making them transfer elsewhere). I was just wandering if anyone knows of any other uni's who are closing down courses due to lack of funding?

Which schools are UEA shutting down? It better not be the one I want to do!
dazmanultra
King's College has closed Chemistry, and is looking to close Bio-sciences as well!
I heard about that around Sept 2003 when I was applying for University, a few students from our sixthform who accepted undergraduate places for that autumn were told there weren't simply enough academics to teach them. I just didn't know it was going to be LT problem becuase it's a pretty famous chemistry department (172 years old + R. Franklins link)...:frown:
Reply 4
~Sam~

Drama + Languages
chicken

did you get my pm?
Reply 6
~Sam~

They are not definetly sutting down, there is a lot of campaigning/fund raising currently going on to try and keep the schools open. There has been huge support for them to stay open,and personally, i think that they will.
Reply 7
Chris_
They are not definetly sutting down, there is a lot of campaigning/fund raising currently going on to try and keep the schools open. There has been huge support for them to stay open,and personally, i think that they will.

It's alright, I'm not applying for language or drama. I'm going to (probably) apply for American and English lit with a year in USA :smile:
Chris_

I went to the Open Day, where they informed us only French and Spanish will be running.

Of course, they could have told me this before I went to all the trouble of going, the tossers :mad:
dazmanultra

Yea, I applied there and then had to change it. Thank God for that because I wouldn't want to do the course if I got accepted!
Ive just seen the article on Reading and i'm a little bit pissed off. I'm going to be doing politics there this year, and reading this I wonder not just whether my course could shut down but at the overall financial position of the university!! I mean, is Reading near financial failure? Afterall, a poor university obviously must mean a failing university right!!
Reply 11
btigershark
Ive just seen the article on Reading and i'm a little bit pissed off. I'm going to be doing politics there this year, and reading this I wonder not just whether my course could shut down but at the overall financial position of the university!! I mean, is Reading near financial failure? Afterall, a poor university obviously must mean a failing university right!!

No not at all - the music department isn't rated very highly against other departments in the country, and therefore is probably having a drop in students applying and coming and so is not getting the funding it needs to teach these students. Its definitely not the same situation across the whole university - more popular courses will be well funded and won't need to shut down. Just because one course is closing by no means indicates the uni is in debt. If that were the case then I don't know how UEA could afford to build all the new accomodation and refurbish the union venues and food places even though its shutting down two of its schools (which is more than 2 courses).
Reply 12
The teaching course at Warwick has been closed, they're still teaching current students but not taking any more. They say the government is concentrating on PGCE's rather than first degrees in teaching.
Reply 13
dazmanultra

So has Swansea, dispite having a relatively good chem research portfolio...