The Student Room Group

A Christmas carol high level rescoures

Hello I was wondering if you have any high level quote analysis for a Christmas carol which I could perhaps use
Thanks😃
Stacey Reay deeply explores the quotes for each character/theme. watch her grade videos (most are aimed at getting grade 7/8/9)
And GOOD LUCK:smile:
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
Stacey Reay deeply explores the quotes for each character/theme. watch her grade videos (most are aimed at getting grade 7/8/9)
And GOOD LUCK:smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Jeanderson14
Hello I was wondering if you have any high level quote analysis for a Christmas carol which I could perhaps use
Thanks😃

If you send me quotes, I can analyse them for you. I got a 9 in lit last year with full marks on both papers :smile: I don’t mind sharing
Original post by Harry3232
If you send me quotes, I can analyse them for you. I got a 9 in lit last year with full marks on both papers :smile: I don’t mind sharing

THANKS!!!
Marley
I wear the chain I forged in life
Ghost of Christmas past
It was a strange figure-like a child:yet not so like a child
A tunic of the purest white
Ghost of Christmas present
Turkeys geese game poultry brawn great joints of meat sucking pigs .... and seething bowls of punch......long wreaths of sausages
Scrooge
I will honour Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all year i will not shut the lessons you have taught me
As light as a feather
Tiny tin
God bless everyone
Bob
Founder of the feast scrooge
😃
Original post by Jeanderson14
THANKS!!!
Marley
I wear the chain I forged in life
Ghost of Christmas past
It was a strange figure-like a child:yet not so like a child
A tunic of the purest white
Ghost of Christmas present
Turkeys geese game poultry brawn great joints of meat sucking pigs .... and seething bowls of punch......long wreaths of sausages
Scrooge
I will honour Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all year i will not shut the lessons you have taught me
As light as a feather
Tiny tin
God bless everyone
Bob
Founder of the feast scrooge
😃

“I wear the chain I forged in life”: This declarative sentence mood accentuates the main theme of isolation and hosts quite an emotional tone for Scrooge. The common noun used to describe Marley wearing “chains” implies restriction - there is a sense of self imposed isolation regarding Scrooge’s unrelenting nature. Ironic how this noun has been used considering at the time, poor people were sent to workhouses. (Then you can talk about some contextual references). We are introduced with a third person omniscient narration which creates a sense of expectation and chronology as well as symbolism of guilt in Marley’s chains.

“It was a strange figure like a child: yet not so like a child”: The metaphor here constructs the idea that the ghost was physically and visibly child like, yet it’s mental capacity and ability is far more than what it has been described as. “Child” adopts the idea of a lack of control and a high energy nature; it is rather quite clear that the ghost has the mental foreseeability far beyond that of a child. (You could also talk about the third person pronoun “it” and say how it remains nameless / a failure to impose a name and use a description distinguishes between the ghosts)

“I will honour Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all year...I will live in the past the present and the future”: He has completely changed and no longer represents an atypical response towards Christmas - represents a more charitable, forgiving attitude. The metaphor reveals how he’ll stay hopeful, dedicated and determined as he will “keep it all year”. Implies that he will maintain gratitude as he’s become increasingly reflective and insightful. The fact that he will live in the “past the present and the future” exposes the dictation of the future and he won’t let his past experiences change his attitude towards xmas. This contrasts to earlier on in the novella where he was described as a “covetous old sinner”; this marks a complete departure for Scrooge from earlier in the novella where he was once a sinner but is now “glowing”. This heralds a significant change from his former self as he now exudes positivity.

Some other points to consider:
Sense of irony in the fact that Scrooge lives in the largest population centre in England, yet is absolutely isolated - Dickens is critical of the self imposed isolation from the wider society.
“I wear the chain I forged in life”: This declarative sentence mood accentuates the main theme of isolation and hosts quite an emotional tone for Scrooge. The common noun used to describe Marley wearing “chains” implies restriction - there is a sense of self imposed isolation regarding Scrooge’s unrelenting nature. Ironic how this noun has been used considering at the time, poor people were sent to workhouses. (Then you can talk about some contextual references). We are introduced with a third person omniscient narration which creates a sense of expectation and chronology as well as symbolism of guilt in Marley’s chains.

“It was a strange figure like a child: yet not so like a child”: The metaphor here constructs the idea that the ghost was physically and visibly child like, yet it’s mental capacity and ability is far more than what it has been described as. “Child” adopts the idea of a lack of control and a high energy nature; it is rather quite clear that the ghost has the mental foreseeability far beyond that of a child. (You could also talk about the third person pronoun “it” and say how it remains nameless / a failure to impose a name and use a description distinguishes between the ghosts)

“I will honour Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all year...I will live in the past the present and the future”: He has completely changed and no longer represents an atypical response towards Christmas - represents a more charitable, forgiving attitude. The metaphor reveals how he’ll stay hopeful, dedicated and determined as he will “keep it all year”. Implies that he will maintain gratitude as he’s become increasingly reflective and insightful. The fact that he will live in the “past the present and the future” exposes the dictation of the future and he won’t let his past experiences change his attitude towards xmas. This contrasts to earlier on in the novella where he was described as a “covetous old sinner”; this marks a complete departure for Scrooge from earlier in the novella where he was once a sinner but is now “glowing”. This heralds a significant change from his former self as he now exudes positivity.

Sense of irony in the fact that Scrooge lives in the largest population centre in England, yet is absolutely isolated - Dickens is critical of the self imposed isolation from the wider society.

@neha6780
Reply 7
could you please analyse the other ones too

@Thao2002

Hey! Do you have any tips on getting a 9? I’m good at analysing quotes, just remembering them feels very daunting and is probably what might let me down. Same goes for poetry.
Reply 10
Original post by mushr00m_b0i
Hey! Do you have any tips on getting a 9? I’m good at analysing quotes, just remembering them feels very daunting and is probably what might let me down. Same goes for poetry.

I'm suffering from the same problem. My best recommendation is making flashcards for theme/character, and even finding some that are easy to link to one another. Quizlet has been a saviour for me. Alternatively, just keep writing them out a few times each day. Even put them on sticky notes around your room. Every minute of revision is valuable now, and these little things make all the difference. Saying them out loud can help too. Good luck!
Original post by K.online.
I'm suffering from the same problem. My best recommendation is making flashcards for theme/character, and even finding some that are easy to link to one another. Quizlet has been a saviour for me. Alternatively, just keep writing them out a few times each day. Even put them on sticky notes around your room. Every minute of revision is valuable now, and these little things make all the difference. Saying them out loud can help too. Good luck!

Thankyou so much, this is what I’ve been doing with mind maps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending