The Student Room Group

Studying LLB with Business at Exeter

Hi Guys! I have just received a conditional offer from Exeter (BBB) to study LLB with Business. Do you think Exeter is competitive enough on par with those London unis in securing a training contract in a Magic circle firm or even a US firm? Cus my goal is to be a corporate lawyer in these big firms in London. My mentor who I job shadowed (who is a civil-based barrister) told me big corporate law firm would love to employ people with a business sense or background and that's why I chose LLB with Business instead of pure LLB! I would definitely work hard to get an upper 2:1 or even a first lol.
Reply 1
It would actually be harder to practice in the US with a joint honours LLB depending on how many law modules you do. The New York Bar only takea straight law. So if you end up in a US firm you may not be able to qualify there too. The California Bar most likely would accept it, as I know someone witg a 4 yr joint hons in law and politics who did that instead. Otherwise Exeter is well regarded enough for law firms. I will be back with a link from Chambers.
Reply 2
It would actually be harder to practice in the US with a joint honours LLB depending on how many law modules you do. The New York Bar only takea straight law. So if you end up in a US firm you may not be able to qualify there too. The California Bar most likely would accept it, as I know someone witg a 4 yr joint hons in law and politics who did that instead. Otherwise Exeter is well regarded enough for law firms. See the link below for an interesting read as to where most firms recruit from
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019
Reply 3
Original post by i.love.turtles
Hi Guys! I have just received a conditional offer from Exeter (BBB) to study LLB with Business. Do you think Exeter is competitive enough on par with those London unis in securing a training contract in a Magic circle firm or even a US firm? Cus my goal is to be a corporate lawyer in these big firms in London. My mentor who I job shadowed (who is a civil-based barrister) told me big corporate law firm would love to employ people with a business sense or background and that's why I chose LLB with Business instead of pure LLB! I would definitely work hard to get an upper 2:1 or even a first lol.

Anything is possible. However, LLB with Business is not as prestigious as the straight Law LLB course on the Streatham campus (hence the difference in grade requirements). Exeter’s Penryn campus is not seen as prestigious. It is predominately their Streatham campus which is seen as good. I can say for sure that a straight Law LLB degree from Exeter will give you an advantage, and will allow you to enter into MC firms. We have connections with all the MC firms, where we network and meet with the trainees etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Jsn.ei
Anything is possible. However, LLB with Business is not as prestigious as the straight Law LLB course on the Streatham campus (hence the difference in grade requirements). Exeter’s Penryn campus is not seen as prestigious. It is predominately their Streatham campus which is seen as good. I can say for sure that a straight Law LLB degree from Exeter will give you an advantage, and will allow you to enter into MC firms. We have connections with all the MC firms, where we network and meet with the trainees etc.

Bear in mind, you do know when all careers events/fairs and dinners take place the uni offers a free coach to Streatham, as well as that 3/4 of modules are law and considering non-law grads earn 6% more, fretting over a combined law vs law is rather trivial.
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019
Original post by Rover5
It would actually be harder to practice in the US with a joint honours LLB depending on how many law modules you do. The New York Bar only takea straight law. So if you end up in a US firm you may not be able to qualify there too. The California Bar most likely would accept it, as I know someone witg a 4 yr joint hons in law and politics who did that instead. Otherwise Exeter is well regarded enough for law firms. I will be back with a link from Chambers.

I think OP means a US firm with a London office.

Doing law ‘with’ business would mean you avoid doing the law conversion course.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending