The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex Postgrad Accommodation

So i’ve been offered a place to study for the Speech and Language Therapy Msc at Uni of Essex!
I’m from Manchester so will be moving into accommodation, but have never been to Essex and don’t know the area at all.
I have looked for university accommodation but Uni of Essex states students cannot park on campus and shouldn’t bring a car. I have placement on my course so I really need my car with my for travelling :frown:

Can anyone recommend a good postgrad accommodation (I’d like to live with other postgrads rather than undergrads) and anyone know where I could park/any accommodation that has parking?
For context I am 22 so whilst I want somewhere a bit quieter so I can focus on studying/placement, I also do love a night out and want a social life too.

Also please just comment if you are planning to move to Essex too as it would be nice to make some connections before I move there! :smile:
Hi

Are you based at Southend or Colchester campus?
I don't know Colchester but Southend has lots of terraced housing with residents permit parking only. So if you do bring your car it will be difficult to park but not impossible. There's lots of train stations and bus routes though so public transport not too bad.
Night life is based in Southend town centre or Leigh on Sea. I'm too old to recommend any of it though!
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your help!
Sorry I forgot to say but i’m based in Colchester :frown:
Let me know what information you find! I am 22 as well and moving to Essex for my MA this year. I am probably going to live on campus, hopefully with other postgrads and not undergrads. Is it normal in the UK for grad-students to live in accommodation or is it a bit awkward?
Yea i wouldnt mind knowing more about this also as im 33 and returning to education for an undergrad in colchester hopefully.
Reply 5
Hi,I am beginning the Speech and Language Therapy Msc in October. Could you let me know what you suggest for accommodation? I’ll be 29 so wouldn’t mind the quieter areas and also, are we able to park anywhere?Thank!
Original post by KJANE28
Hi,I am beginning the Speech and Language Therapy Msc in October. Could you let me know what you suggest for accommodation? I’ll be 29 so wouldn’t mind the quieter areas and also, are we able to park anywhere?Thank!

Hi @KJANE28,

If you're looking for a more quiet accommodation I would recommend the Houses! It's a bit isolated away from the rest of the accommodations, only has about 6 people per flat and is surrounded by a beautiful park! However there's also some flats that contain only masters or mature students, you can get in contact with the student services hub here to find out which ones that may be (if I recall correctly you can state on your accommodation form if you'd like to be with other mature students!): https://www.essex.ac.uk/student/advice-and-support#contact

There is parking available, however if you live on campus you'll be unable to park there unless you have accessibility needs that you need to apply for. Since you're on campus they want to reserve parking for students who want to commute.

Hope this was helpful and I'm happy to answer any more questions you may have!

Megan
Original post by KJANE28

Whats the course timetable like? How many days on campus?
The water hasnt worked in south towers for months so not there haha - the more expensive the rent is the nicer and bigger the room is so choose accordingly
Can’t wait for Sessex! My daughter can’t wait for her post grad! Any chance I can live with her
hey! I just got accepted into the course as well and im 21, im moving from aus and not very familiar with the area, was wondering if your planning to stay off campus? would love to explore my options of accomodations
Original post by itssssriri
hey! I just got accepted into the course as well and im 21, im moving from aus and not very familiar with the area, was wondering if your planning to stay off campus? would love to explore my options of accomodations

Hiya @itssssriri
Congratulations !🤩
Essex University Students Union provides Essex Homes a place where you can rent a place to live outside the university campus.
The university has partnerships with local lenders, making the rent more accessible and the houses are guaranteed to be in good conditions.
Here is the link:SUHomes | Lettings Agent in Essex

If you have any more questions don't hesitate in contacting me.

Essex Official Rep-Cat 😊
Original post by itssssriri
Hi! I also just got accepted to this course as an international student! I’m also not familiar with the area but I’m currently looking at on-campus accommodation options at some of the quieter residences.
Original post by _hannahbanana
Hi! I also just got accepted to this course as an international student! I’m also not familiar with the area but I’m currently looking at on-campus accommodation options at some of the quieter residences.
I have also got a place on this course- but live locally already so not moving into postgrad accommodation. Is there a fb page for the 24/25 year yet?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have also got a place on this course- but live locally already so not moving into postgrad accommodation. Is there a fb page for the 24/25 year yet?

I haven’t seen any Facebook pages yet but I’ll keep an eye out.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey! A favebook group was created this week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending