The Student Room Group

Polish Language

My partner is Polish and so I'm trying to learn the language. I'm 17 and my only language is English, albeit I studied French at GCSE (and absolutely hated it). It is SO hard.

I'm consistently practicing - albeit I'm only 2 and a bit weeks in - but I was wondering if anyone had any tips because I'm really struggling, specifically with the many, many, many grammar rules.

I am using Duolingo although it isn't necessarily my favourite - some of the sentences it's trying to teach me aren't necessarily useful ("the evil child is small"). It is useful for practice with word orders though, upon reflection.
Heya! I'm bilingual in Polish and English (since birth)- my polish language skills were not always great but for the GCSE and A level I found a few ways to get better. I agree Duolingo is not the best tool for language learning but it will help you get a grasp of basic vocab especially numbers and key phrases.
Speaking is the best way to learn grammar and vocab- I would just talk to my grandparents as much as possible so I recommend you speak with your partner about easy topics at first like the weather and perhaps they could describe something and you could try to decipher and translate or copy what they are saying to make sure you are getting the intonation correctly.
The Grammar is the worst- the best way to get used to it is listening to others ( I recommend watching polish shows on Netflix with English subtitles e.g. Ultraviolet or listen to polish music) because it is so painful to just try memorise it. Once you hear people changing word endings you will naturally adopt their grammar.
Also when I was learning German I found there were many podcasts on Spotify (e.g. News in Slow German) possibly you could find some in polish to just immerse yourself in the language.
Polish is very difficult and I think it is very sweet that you are trying to do this for your partner- I wish you all the best!!!
Original post by kke.cr_
My partner is Polish and so I'm trying to learn the language. I'm 17 and my only language is English, albeit I studied French at GCSE (and absolutely hated it). It is SO hard.

I'm consistently practicing - albeit I'm only 2 and a bit weeks in - but I was wondering if anyone had any tips because I'm really struggling, specifically with the many, many, many grammar rules.

I am using Duolingo although it isn't necessarily my favourite - some of the sentences it's trying to teach me aren't necessarily useful ("the evil child is small"). It is useful for practice with word orders though, upon reflection.

Polish is known for it very complicated grammar and it sometimes hard to get into it but i always use memrise which is free ( obviously if you want special feature you'd pay but i don't ) You can choose a course id start the simple and then work your way up the ladder.
Hope i could help a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending