The Student Room Group

How to not feel stupid for losing money

A band me and my mate wanted to see announced a tour for the back end of the year, all week my mate has been texting me asking me to get tickets and I replied saying would he go if I got them and he said yes.

Yesterday I managed to get tickets but when I told my mate he said he actually couldn’t afford it so couldn’t go. I don’t know anyone else apart from him who likes this band so I decided to resell them at face value on Twickets. They resold in 30 minutes but only then did I find out I will only receive my money AFTER the concert.

How do I not feel so stupid for essentially throwing away £150? I know I should have waited for my mate to send me the money before buying them but in the past he’s always sent me the money immediately after I’ve bought them so I felt no need to not question he’d do so again this time.
Original post by MikePL
A band me and my mate wanted to see announced a tour for the back end of the year, all week my mate has been texting me asking me to get tickets and I replied saying would he go if I got them and he said yes.

Yesterday I managed to get tickets but when I told my mate he said he actually couldn’t afford it so couldn’t go. I don’t know anyone else apart from him who likes this band so I decided to resell them at face value on Twickets. They resold in 30 minutes but only then did I find out I will only receive my money AFTER the concert.

How do I not feel so stupid for essentially throwing away £150? I know I should have waited for my mate to send me the money before buying them but in the past he’s always sent me the money immediately after I’ve bought them so I felt no need to not question he’d do so again this time.

You haven't lost this money. You've effectively just given it to Twickets to look after for a few months. You'll get the money back.

I have one question though. Did you mate know the price (£75 each) at the point you "replied saying would he go if I got them and he said yes"?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You haven't lost this money. You've effectively just given it to Twickets to look after for a few months. You'll get the money back.

I have one question though. Did you mate know the price (£75 each) at the point you "replied saying would he go if I got them and he said yes"?

Yes he did, I told him earlier in the week they were £75 and he said that was fine.
So you will get your money back then, you'll just have to wait a bit. If I were in your situation I'd feel much more mugged off by the friend's comments. You say he knew the price of the tickets from the start, said he could afford it and then the minute you buy them he suddenly can't anymore?? Ngl, that's very crusty behaviour.
Original post by MikePL
Yes he did, I told him earlier in the week they were £75 and he said that was fine.

Understood. My guess is that you like the band more than he does, and he didn't want to disappoint you by saying that he couldn't afford to go. (He might even have been a little embarrassed about that fact.)

When he agreed to pay the £75, he was taking a gamble that you wouldn't be able to get hold of two tickets. When you did, you effectively called his bluff and he had to admit he couldn't afford to go.

Just guesswork, obviously.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. My guess is that you like the band more than he does, and he didn't want to disappoint you by saying that he couldn't afford to go. (He might even have been a little embarrassed about that fact.)

When he agreed to pay the £75, he was taking a gamble that you wouldn't be able to get hold of two tickets. When you did, you effectively called his bluff and he had to admit he couldn't afford to go.

Just guesswork, obviously.

Thing is we have seen them before and it was him all week who was asking me to get tickets not me asking him
Original post by MikePL
Thing is we have seen them before and it was him all week who was asking me to get tickets not me asking him

OK. That blows my theory out of the water!

Have you asked him why he could afford it one day (and was busy asking you to get tickets) but then suddenly couldn't afford it the next day?
Original post by MikePL
I told my mate he said he actually couldn’t afford it so couldn’t go. I don’t know anyone else apart from him who likes this band so I decided to resell them

See I would have kicked up a lot more of a fuss between the 'mate can't go' and 'selling tickets' phases because it is pretty directly messing someone about and I'd be curious why they were so adamant they still couldn't afford it down the line. Push comes to shove I'd probably pay for my friend if they were broke but maybe not if I'd been messed about like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending