The Student Room Group

Psychology clearing/reapply with AAB

Just got my a levels:
A psychology, A biology, B philosophy (2 marks of an A so considering a remark), C in chemistry.
I'm feeling ok just a bit rubbish about reapplying for psychology, as I've decided on a gap year, with AAB when I know all the psychology courses I looked at and am interested in are AAA or AAA*. Does anyone know any good courses that accept AAB or would maybe accept me as I have the fourth a level too.
Thanks!
Ps loved the high grade boundaries 🥲
Original post by gilmoregirl8
Just got my a levels:
A psychology, A biology, B philosophy (2 marks of an A so considering a remark), C in chemistry.
I'm feeling ok just a bit rubbish about reapplying for psychology, as I've decided on a gap year, with AAB when I know all the psychology courses I looked at and am interested in are AAA or AAA*. Does anyone know any good courses that accept AAB or would maybe accept me as I have the fourth a level too.
Thanks!

I think it is worth persuing the remark. Did both your university offers decline you? If you go ahead with a remark it is worth letting them know you’re heading down this road.

I appreciate it’s been a tough day - take some space to think about things and look at courses still in clearing tomorrow.

Taking a gap year might not be the worst thing - it’s better than choosing a uni that you know deep down isn’t right for you but going anyway and regretting it because you’re not happy.

Who were your university offers with?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by She-Ra
I think it is worth persuing the remark. Did both your university offers decline you? If you go ahead with a remark it is worth letting them know you’re heading down this road.

I appreciate it’s been a tough day - take some space to think about things and look at courses still in clearing tomorrow.

Taking a gap year might not be the worst thing - it’s better than choosing a uni that you know deep down isn’t right for you but going anyway and regretting it because you’re not happy.

Who were your university offers with?

Thank you 😊
Bristol for AAA* Newcastle AAA.
I phoned Newcastle and they said they were only taking AAA even though I mentioned my remark and that would have already considered me with AAB before declining me with the insurance application but I've emailed them now so they have my details anyway in case places come up as the website says they're all gone.
Reply 3
Just got my a levels:
Thanks!

That's so tough to not have offers with AAB. Such good grades and could well be worth a priority remark on the B as you were so close.
I know Psychology is super popular and thus competitive but you could phone up unis that are advertising vacancies at AAA. There may be some wriggle room with some, especially as you have a 4th A level that may have slightly disadvantaged you when revising for exams compared to someone only doing 3. Or have you definitely decided you would rather take a Year out?
Reply 4
Unis that still have Psychology vacancies in Clearing according to the UCAS website include

Lancaster AAB
Loughborough AAB
UEA ABB
Royal Holloway AAA-ABB
Sussex AAB/ABB
Thank you 😊
Bristol for AAA* Newcastle AAA.
I phoned Newcastle and they said they were only taking AAA even though I mentioned my remark and that would have already considered me with AAB before declining me with the insurance application but I've emailed them now so they have my details anyway in case places come up as the website says they're all gone.

Morning :wavey:

Keep Newcastle updated if you decide to go ahead with a priority remark. Universities can show some flexibility - if your grade goes up and you meet the conditions they may offer a deferred place if they are able to accommodate you this year.

Keep us posted on how you get on :h:
Original post by harrysbar
Unis that still have Psychology vacancies in Clearing according to the UCAS website include

Lancaster AAB
Loughborough AAB
UEA ABB
Royal Holloway AAA-ABB
Sussex AAB/ABB

Some great unis in that list :heart:
Just got my a levels:
Thanks!

Morning @gilmoregirl8 :smile:

Wow what fantastic grades, hope you're feeling proud!! Just wanted to check in and see how you were feeling, please do let us know how you get on! Did you take a look at Psychology courses in Clearing?

Best of luck!

#BeResultsProud

Becky
Reply 8
That's so tough to not have offers with AAB. Such good grades and could well be worth a priority remark on the B as you were so close.
I know Psychology is super popular and thus competitive but you could phone up unis that are advertising vacancies at AAA. There may be some wriggle room with some, especially as you have a 4th A level that may have slightly disadvantaged you when revising for exams compared to someone only doing 3. Or have you definitely decided you would rather take a Year out?

I rang Cardiff and Durham and got through to a different people but by the time I got through they either said they weren't able to hold a place without the AAA or that the places had now all gone when I'd been told on the first line there would be a place and then I'd say yes to the neuroscience course which is AAB and then by the time I got through to the right person again the places were gone 😅
I looked at the other unis in clearing but I don't want to end up going somewhere I know I'm not interested in just to get in.
I rang Cardiff and Durham and got through to a different people but by the time I got through they either said they weren't able to hold a place without the AAA or that the places had now all gone when I'd been told on the first line there would be a place and then I'd say yes to the neuroscience course which is AAB and then by the time I got through to the right person again the places were gone 😅
I looked at the other unis in clearing but I don't want to end up going somewhere I know I'm not interested in just to get in.

I'm in a similar situation and am so stuck. Do i just go with the clearing universities or take a gap year and reapply?
Original post by hellohello05
I'm in a similar situation and am so stuck. Do i just go with the clearing universities or take a gap year and reapply?

Are you close to grade boundaries for any subjects that would justify a review of marking? Will you need to retake if you reapply or will you be applying with your current grades? What course are you considering and where?

Fair enough. I do personally think Lancaster is a great uni but I'm biased as daughter went there for Psychology and loved it.

Sometimes it is the better thing to do to take a year out and have all the options available to you again when picking unis, with the benefit of knowing what grades you have achieved. Good Luck with your remark.
Reply 12
Fair enough. I do personally think Lancaster is a great uni but I'm biased as daughter went there for Psychology and loved it.

Sometimes it is the better thing to do to take a year out and have all the options available to you again when picking unis, with the benefit of knowing what grades you have achieved. Good Luck with your remark.

I live half an hour away from Lancaster and know it very well so too close to home for me 😊
Thank you!
I live half an hour away from Lancaster and know it very well so too close to home for me 😊
Thank you!

Hi there @gilmoregirl8, :smile:

Firstly congratulations on your results, you should be very proud of all your hard work!

I can see that you are interested in studying Psychology and are considering going through Clearing. Have you thought about studying here at UCLan?

We still have Psychology places available through Clearing. Students on our Psychology courses have access to over 30 state-of-the-art laboratories and get the chance to undertake research in various settings. If you would like to give us a call one of our friendly Clearing team will be happy to give you some further advice.

📞 01772 830777

Let me know if you have any questions!

All the best, :smile:
Sarah

It's great you have explored so many options - sometimes doing this shows you exactly what you don't want and as you say, you do not want to end up going somewhere you were never really interested in, just because you feel like you should.

Fingers crossed for the remark :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest