The Student Room Group

I hate being poor.

im 16, going into sixth form this september. and while everyone around me has fancy new iphones and clothes, i have a samsung, no data plan and only have enough money to buy clothes from cheap stores which i pay for myself out of the little birthday/christmas money i get a year.

i have 3 other siblings and a mother that is horrible at managing her money, my father is out of the picture. i just wish i could have everything that my friends do, you know? i want new clothes, i want an iphone, i want to go out with my friends regularly without worrying about asking for money, i want a data plan so i dont feel like a leech using other peoples hotspots all of the time, i want to go on holiday, i want to look attractive like others but i just dont have the money to, and i never will.

it really sucks even more since i plan on going to university abroad, (Japan specifically, its a long list of reasons but mainly because my best friends family moved over there recently) but i wont have the money to pay for my tuition, and im not the smartest so a scholarship is not really an option here.

i just wish i was born into a family that didnt have money problems until the next payday, and i wish i could have everything that i dream of having.

if anybody is curious the university i want to go to is Ritsumeikan APU, an international university in Beppu, Japan. anyways, thanks for listening to my little rant.
I can understand your situation. I had a similar situation back in the day. Furthermore, I can give one advice is stick to your goal and don't be upset over someone else's lifestyle. Eventually you will have yours.
Reply 2
Original post by Kaiiii007
im 16, going into sixth form this september. and while everyone around me has fancy new iphones and clothes, i have a samsung, no data plan and only have enough money to buy clothes from cheap stores which i pay for myself out of the little birthday/christmas money i get a year.

Have you looked at getting a part-time job?

i want a data plan so i dont feel like a leech using other peoples hotspots all of the time

Well, can you change the plan you're on already? If your phone is already paid for, look to see what other mobile networks offer at the same (or perhaps lower) cost. You may find that providers like GiffGaff, for example, provide what you need for less money than you're paying your current provider. Or look if you can move from your existing contract to a new 12-/18-/24-month contract that might cost less and/or give you more data. (For example, on O2, a 12-month SIM-only contract at £13 will give 1GB/month. On a 24-month SIM-only contract you pay less (£12) but get 5GB data.) You would need to know how much data you use though.

I get by on 2GB data per month, but I do have wifi access at home and at work, and don't need a huge amount of data otherwise.
hii i totally understand you! its a horrible feeling, my only tip is to try look for a part time job, even if the pay is low. then you can save and eventually buy a better data plan etc. start by making a cv with your skills and education etc, go on indeed/linked in and keep searching for jobs, or even if you search the shops/supermarkets near u to see if they are hiring. take small steps, u can do this i believe in u !
And who loves? XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending