The Student Room Group

Switching degree courses before uni starts

I start at Southampton Uni in september doing a Zoology degree, but want to switch to a Biology degree since it better suits my career needs - I have emailed but had no response yet so wanted to ask, do you think they will let me switch onto it? or will they decline / make me wait until the end of year 1 or something?

Thanks!
Original post by pops.s
I start at Southampton Uni in september doing a Zoology degree, but want to switch to a Biology degree since it better suits my career needs - I have emailed but had no response yet so wanted to ask, do you think they will let me switch onto it? or will they decline / make me wait until the end of year 1 or something?

Thanks!

I don't go to Southampton Uni or know anyone that does but most universities will let you transfer if they have space on the course and you meet the entry requirements. Hopefully it is possible since the academic year hasn't started yet. Have you tried calling them?
Reply 2
Original post by Quierosaber
I don't go to Southampton Uni or know anyone that does but most universities will let you transfer if they have space on the course and you meet the entry requirements. Hopefully it is possible since the academic year hasn't started yet. Have you tried calling them?

yeah, i called them and they just said to email - the biology course is one of my offers i declined and accepted zoology - they have the same grade boundaries and i got an A in biology, so the only reason they’d decline is due to space right? but if i recieved an offer they should have had space for me before - thanks for your comment :smile:
Original post by pops.s
yeah, i called them and they just said to email - the biology course is one of my offers i declined and accepted zoology - they have the same grade boundaries and i got an A in biology, so the only reason they’d decline is due to space right? but if i recieved an offer they should have had space for me before - thanks for your comment :smile:

Hmm okay. Well it seems promising considering your grade profile and that you received an offer before! Yeah its likely they'd just decline because of space. All the best, I hope you hear from them soon.
Reply 4
Original post by Quierosaber
Hmm okay. Well it seems promising considering your grade profile and that you received an offer before! Yeah its likely they'd just decline because of space. All the best, I hope you hear from them soon.

thanks very much!! i’ll update once i hear from them
They probably have a common first year anyway. Most life science degrees do.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
They probably have a common first year anyway. Most life science degrees do.

They do, but I was hoping to switch before the year started to make it easier but idk
Original post by pops.s
They do, but I was hoping to switch before the year started to make it easier but idk

Give it some time.

When did you email?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Give it some time.

When did you email?

I emailed them 2 days ago at around 2pm, i know they'll probably be flooded with clearing emails so i'll gve it another day or so before calling back since i am getting anxious :frown:
Reply 9
They accepted me to switch!
Original post by pops.s
They accepted me to switch!

Ah amazing! Good luck with it :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending