The Student Room Group

Do I resit my final A Level history exam before reapplying to uni?

I'm mainly asking about other people's experiences with my situation, but any other advice is greatly appreciated!

I was predicted A*AAA, but got A*BBB. I firmed law at Southampton university, and insured law and politics at Cardiff university (deferred entry to 2024). I realised quite soon after I finished my final exam that I made the wrong decision, I should've firmed Cardiff rather than Southampton.

Both offers were the same grade requirements (AAA), I got into Southampton and have accepted their offer, however I was declined by Cardiff.

Regardless, this is my dilemma;

I think I'm going to reapply, but given that my offer from Cardiff was withdrawn I want to better my chances at getting the offer. I got an A on both my history coursework and first exam, however I unfortunately got an E in my final history exam which really stuffed me.

(The day prior to my final exam I had 4 hours worth of exams, and I came out feeling absolutely exhausted and had a migraine in the evening. It's so upsetting, had I not been so exhausted I know I would've smashed that final exam, but there we are.)

I'm massively considering resitting that final exam in June 2024. That would be my only one, I'm doing a gap year and want to properly enjoy it and get the most out of it so I'd rather not resit them all. I need to speak to my old head of sixth form to see whether they would factor that 2024 grade into my 2023 results or whether I'd have to redo the lot.

So, do I resit or do I just reapply?

Any advice or information anyone has in regards to the resit and the grades would be greatly appreciated. Before I ask my old head of sixth, does anyone know if I'd be allowed to resit just the one and have that grade included in my results I received this year?

Original post by katewalker2905
I'm mainly asking about other people's experiences with my situation, but any other advice is greatly appreciated!

I was predicted A*AAA, but got A*BBB. I firmed law at Southampton university, and insured law and politics at Cardiff university (deferred entry to 2024). I realised quite soon after I finished my final exam that I made the wrong decision, I should've firmed Cardiff rather than Southampton.

Both offers were the same grade requirements (AAA), I got into Southampton and have accepted their offer, however I was declined by Cardiff.

I think I'm going to reapply, but given that my offer from Cardiff was withdrawn I want to better my chances at getting the offer. I got an A on both my history coursework and first exam, however I unfortunately got an E in my final history exam which really stuffed me.

(The day prior to my final exam I had 4 hours worth of exams, and I came out feeling absolutely exhausted and had a migraine in the evening. It's so upsetting, had I not been so exhausted I know I would've smashed that final exam, but there we are.)

I'm massively considering resitting that final exam in June 2024. That would be my only one, I'm doing a gap year and want to properly enjoy it and get the most out of it so I'd rather not resit them all. I need to speak to my old head of sixth form to see whether they would factor that 2024 grade into my 2023 results or whether I'd have to redo the lot.

Any advice or information anyone has in regards to the resit and the grades would be greatly appreciated. Before I ask my old head of sixth, does anyone know if I'd be allowed to resit just the one and have that grade included in my results I received this year?

You say, "I was declined by Cardiff." However, that was your insurance choice. As your firm (Southampton) opted to accept you, Cardiff didn't get the opportunity to make a decision. Unless you've spoken to them directly, you have no idea whether or not they'd have accepted your A*BBB grades.

You applied to Southampton, they made you an offer, and you firmed that offer. You missed the offer grades, but they decided to confirm your place anyway. Now you've decided that you don't want to go there. What is so bad about Southampton that you'd rather resit/retake than go there?
Original post by DataVenia
You say, "I was declined by Cardiff." However, that was your insurance choice. As your firm (Southampton) opted to accept you, Cardiff didn't get the opportunity to make a decision. Unless you've spoken to them directly, you have no idea whether or not they'd have accepted your A*BBB grades.

You applied to Southampton, they made you an offer, and you firmed that offer. You missed the offer grades, but they decided to confirm your place anyway. Now you've decided that you don't want to go there. What is so bad about Southampton that you'd rather resit/retake than go there?

Thank you for replying!

I'd seen a TikTok on results day of someone opening their ucas and seeing they'd ben accepted by both their insurance and their firm so I was under the impression I'd been declined. My ucas also said I'd been declined but maybe I was wrong, I'll chase that up though.

I live in Cardiff, but my parents have decided to move to Portsmouth within the next two years. I have no other family in Cardiff, it's just been my parents and I (only child) but I've lived in Cardiff my entire life and submitted my application under the impression that I'd be coming back here during holidays etc. My life is in Cardiff, I don't know anyone other than my mums side of the family in Portsmouth. I wouldn't be coming "home" out of term time, I'd essentially be coming somewhere that's as alien to me as Southampton would be.

It's a fantastic university and I was extremely fortunate to get that offer, but given the context of my parents moving it's just not ideal anymore. I'm excited for uni but I'd be leaving my life behind completely which I'm just not ready to do.

Thank you again!

Please stick with Southampton and enjoy your uni. Resitting exams and reapplications are OTT to me as you have already gotten into a decent uni.

It is up to you to make your decisions but don't play yourself. Good luck
Thank you for replying!

I'd seen a TikTok on results day of someone opening their ucas and seeing they'd ben accepted by both their insurance and their firm so I was under the impression I'd been declined. My ucas also said I'd been declined but maybe I was wrong, I'll chase that up though.

I live in Cardiff, but my parents have decided to move to Portsmouth within the next two years. I have no other family in Cardiff, it's just been my parents and I (only child) but I've lived in Cardiff my entire life and submitted my application under the impression that I'd be coming back here during holidays etc. My life is in Cardiff, I don't know anyone other than my mums side of the family in Portsmouth. I wouldn't be coming "home" out of term time, I'd essentially be coming somewhere that's as alien to me as Southampton would be.

It's a fantastic university and I was extremely fortunate to get that offer, but given the context of my parents moving it's just not ideal anymore. I'm excited for uni but I'd be leaving my life behind completely which I'm just not ready to do.

Thank you again!

I guess that makes some sense. I seems such a shame to throw away the place at Southampton though, based upon the random decision of where your parent's are planning to move to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending