The Student Room Group

Uni flat mates

Hi I moved in to uni on saturday and for the past 2 nights one of my flat mates has had lots of his mates in the flat. I don’t mind this but they are really rowdy and they keep banging on my bedroom door to the point where I feel unsafe. I have a peep hole in my door and I can see them bang really hard on my door and then they just walk away. I don’t really know what to do because I don’t want to tell my flat mate to stop bringing his mates here and I don’t want to have any bad blood between us but it is really annoying, I can’t get a good nights sleep and every time I try to go to sleep I’m scared someone will come and bang on my door again or even come in my room when I’m asleep
Reply 1
Hi

Not sure where you are located but assume in regular halls.

1. They have a duty to live in the accommodation and abide by the rules. Say to your flat mate, who has signed the contract for his room that you don't have a problem with him having his mate's round but insist they must refrain from banging on your door. its unreasonable behaviour and ultimately your flat mate as the signed tenant is responsible for their actions. Point out that you don't want to report the matter as you don't want to create difficulties for him with the university at this early stage but he is ultimately responsible for the actions and he needs to ensure it stops.

2. I don't think there is any risk of them coming in your room as i assume your door is locked and they would need the key card or key to unlock it so i don't think that's a risk for you despite how annoying they are.

3. As its freshers i'm guessing they are all a bit over excited and wanting to party and think its fun to bang on your door to wake you up to join as you are in bed earlier than them but they need to learn that everyone has a different university experience and not everyone wants to party all the time. Hopefully things will settle down soon for you.

For what its worth, the actions of banging on your door shows a real lack of consideration and immaturity and i hope they quickly get bored of doing it or at least your flat mate changes their actions and respects your space. If it doesn't stop then next action would be to report it to the accommodation team as its clearly unreasonable behaviour.

Good luck
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I moved in to uni on saturday and for the past 2 nights one of my flat mates has had lots of his mates in the flat. I don’t mind this but they are really rowdy and they keep banging on my bedroom door to the point where I feel unsafe. I have a peep hole in my door and I can see them bang really hard on my door and then they just walk away. I don’t really know what to do because I don’t want to tell my flat mate to stop bringing his mates here and I don’t want to have any bad blood between us but it is really annoying, I can’t get a good nights sleep and every time I try to go to sleep I’m scared someone will come and bang on my door again or even come in my room when I’m asleep

Hi,

I am very sorry for the experience you currently have in your new place,

In my opinion, this is an absolutely inappropriate behavior and I think the only way to stop it is to report such behavior to the accommodation reception.
Please, do not be afraid to speak to your flatmates about this as they really should listen to you, as what they are doing is quite immature and they are lacking consideration to others.

University is the beginning of an adult life, and adult life implies responsibility for the actions person makes. I had the same situation when I first moved in to my accommodation. The only thing that I really advice you to have in mind is that you are right. It is really essential to communicate with your flatmates at the beginning of your year as it then could transform into a habit and they may see it as something you can constantly tolerate.

I would first try to speak to your flatmates and express how you feel about the situation. If they do not listen to you, please do not confront them, but go to the reception or make a noise complaint in an app. The noise complaint is anonymous and stuff will never tell them who reported the noise.

Once again, I am very sorry for the experience you currently have in your new place, feel free to respond to this message if you need any further support :smile:

- Ilya :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi,

I am very sorry for the experience you currently have in your new place,

In my opinion, this is an absolutely inappropriate behavior and I think the only way to stop it is to report such behavior to the accommodation reception.
Please, do not be afraid to speak to your flatmates about this as they really should listen to you, as what they are doing is quite immature and they are lacking consideration to others.

University is the beginning of an adult life, and adult life implies responsibility for the actions person makes. I had the same situation when I first moved in to my accommodation. The only thing that I really advice you to have in mind is that you are right. It is really essential to communicate with your flatmates at the beginning of your year as it then could transform into a habit and they may see it as something you can constantly tolerate.

I would first try to speak to your flatmates and express how you feel about the situation. If they do not listen to you, please do not confront them, but go to the reception or make a noise complaint in an app. The noise complaint is anonymous and stuff will never tell them who reported the noise.

Once again, I am very sorry for the experience you currently have in your new place, feel free to respond to this message if you need any further support :smile:

- Ilya :biggrin:

Thank you so much for this!! I just wanted an early night and didn’t get to sleep till 5am 😖
I will leave a nice message in my flat group chat just politely telling them that it’s really annoying and not respectful
Luckily a really kind girl in the flat above me let me sit in her room last night until all the pre drinks were over because I was so scared!!
Thank you so much for this!! I just wanted an early night and didn’t get to sleep till 5am 😖
I will leave a nice message in my flat group chat just politely telling them that it’s really annoying and not respectful
Luckily a really kind girl in the flat above me let me sit in her room last night until all the pre drinks were over because I was so scared!!

I just want to reassure you that this is not a typical behavior and is not what a student experience is supposed to be. You do have a right to feel secure and there are indeed mechanisms to prevent such behavior in future.

Please, feel free to reach out for further advice and guidance, as I have myself been in such circumstances.
And please, remember, you are paying a decent amount of money for accommodation, and there is absolutely no reason to tolerate such things :wink:

Hopefully you will find my advice useful,

- Ilya :colondollar:
Reply 5

Just a quick update
It got even worse last night and I didn’t get to sleep till 7am this morning. I’ve had a meeting with the accommodation manager who has said I can move rooms this weekend :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending