The Student Room Group

Im going insane and i can't stop

I CAN'T DEAL WITH MY OVERWHELMING ANXIETY OVER GCSEs IT IS CONSUMING ME AND I HAVE NO ONE TO TALK TO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DEAL WITH MY INSANITY NO MATTER HOW MUCH I WORK HARD I AM GETTING NOWHERE MY MENTAL HEALTH IS SPIRALLING OUT OF MY MIND
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I CAN'T DEAL WITH MY OVERWHELMING ANXIETY OVER GCSEs IT IS CONSUMING ME AND I HAVE NO ONE TO TALK TO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DEAL WITH MY INSANITY NO MATTER HOW MUCH I WORK HARD I AM GETTING NOWHERE MY MENTAL HEALTH IS SPIRALLING OUT OF MY MIND

Hey, I'm not sure how much I can help but you can talk to me! You can reply on this thread or pm me, I don't mind. What grades are you getting, and are you finding some subjects easier than others? Oh and what year are you in? And is it just GCSEs or other stuff too that's making you stressed?
Reply 2
Hi there.
Just for tonight just stop everything and do something you enjoy. Watch TV, go for a walk, catch up with a friend? f you are in this mithered state of mind, it matters not what you do because you won't remember anything. You won't even be in a frame of mind where you can cope with anything. So get yourself in a mind set where you tell yourself it is OK, just breathe nice and slowly, get nice and warm and have a warm drink (or any other drink of fluids) Then get plenty of sleep. You cannot function without sleep, and expect to work and revise without it as well you will fry your brain cells (not literally)

What is happening to your head? Is it panicking or is it just firing off all sorts of questions and worries and then not shutting down when you need it to? It's ok to know that you are not coping very well. An overactive head is horrid. Is there a close family member you can talk things through with?

When your subjects get too hard and you feel defeated, focus on those subjects you enjoy and remind yourself everything will be as it is. You also have a lifetime of learning. You don't have to do anything but it helps. If 60% or more of your student colleagues give up - how much better does that improve your odds of getting a better grade? Your friends will get zero you might get an A. So just do your best, nothing more. Just try and learn two more key facts
a little bit more. Many of the most successful people in this country have very few qualifications, others don't even have a clue. So many people are not weighed down by worry and are not looking back at getting A's or B's or C's etc

Now use other people to help you over the first and the last hurdle. Your tutors can't do the work for you but they can assure you how you are doing with the end goal of exams in sight. Hold onto the positive, and drop any negative thoughts as soon as you find them. Use the 'MIND' site to help with anxiety.

Do go and get some emotional health support from your student welfare section, the health support bods or your GP. If you need to take a few days out, by all means do it but remember you can lose windows of time offered to everyone else and finally miss out on exams etc Just keep going even if it is on tick over.

You do have people to talk to, you have us, you have your teachers, you have your parents and you have your friends. Please speak to them, it'll make you feel better and calmer. I imagine you keep your worries bottled up and doing so will make your mental health situation much worse. I used to stress about exams when I was in secondary school too, but please realize their importance isn't quite as substantial as people make them out to be. Yes, they can give you the basis you need to get jobs, but the true spark comes from within you, not a bunch of tests. I promise you, that you will be whoever you want to be in spite of GCSEs.
Reply 4
Original post by Pablopip
Hey, I'm not sure how much I can help but you can talk to me! You can reply on this thread or pm me, I don't mind. What grades are you getting, and are you finding some subjects easier than others? Oh and what year are you in? And is it just GCSEs or other stuff too that's making you stressed?

Hi, I'm in year 10 currently, and I've been stressed about grades since year 9, however it's slowly increased more and more and it's very difficult to control myself when I feel stressed or overwhelmed. I get relatively alright grades, I'm a person who always expects the top of the top grades (which may not be the best thing) so I'm especially struggling in maths and science (although I do fine in it, I have high expectations for both of them). Mainly GCSEs make me stressed and school in general (I've been diagnosed with anxiety).
Reply 5
Original post by Muttly
Hi there.
Just for tonight just stop everything and do something you enjoy. Watch TV, go for a walk, catch up with a friend? f you are in this mithered state of mind, it matters not what you do because you won't remember anything. You won't even be in a frame of mind where you can cope with anything. So get yourself in a mind set where you tell yourself it is OK, just breathe nice and slowly, get nice and warm and have a warm drink (or any other drink of fluids) Then get plenty of sleep. You cannot function without sleep, and expect to work and revise without it as well you will fry your brain cells (not literally)

What is happening to your head? Is it panicking or is it just firing off all sorts of questions and worries and then not shutting down when you need it to? It's ok to know that you are not coping very well. An overactive head is horrid. Is there a close family member you can talk things through with?

When your subjects get too hard and you feel defeated, focus on those subjects you enjoy and remind yourself everything will be as it is. You also have a lifetime of learning. You don't have to do anything but it helps. If 60% or more of your student colleagues give up - how much better does that improve your odds of getting a better grade? Your friends will get zero you might get an A. So just do your best, nothing more. Just try and learn two more key facts
a little bit more. Many of the most successful people in this country have very few qualifications, others don't even have a clue. So many people are not weighed down by worry and are not looking back at getting A's or B's or C's etc

Now use other people to help you over the first and the last hurdle. Your tutors can't do the work for you but they can assure you how you are doing with the end goal of exams in sight. Hold onto the positive, and drop any negative thoughts as soon as you find them. Use the 'MIND' site to help with anxiety.

Do go and get some emotional health support from your student welfare section, the health support bods or your GP. If you need to take a few days out, by all means do it but remember you can lose windows of time offered to everyone else and finally miss out on exams etc Just keep going even if it is on tick over.

Hi, thank you for replying back and giving me some advice. I'm at a point where the one thing I do all the time apart from school and sleep and eating is studying - it's almost like I want to study to distract my mind from getting worked up. It's ironic because studying does sometimes make me overwhelmed, especially nearer to exams I push myself a lot. It's difficult for me to get mental health support even if I've felt a bit depressed for over a year as my family doesn't support it and discourages it.
Reply 6
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
You do have people to talk to, you have us, you have your teachers, you have your parents and you have your friends. Please speak to them, it'll make you feel better and calmer. I imagine you keep your worries bottled up and doing so will make your mental health situation much worse. I used to stress about exams when I was in secondary school too, but please realize their importance isn't quite as substantial as people make them out to be. Yes, they can give you the basis you need to get jobs, but the true spark comes from within you, not a bunch of tests. I promise you, that you will be whoever you want to be in spite of GCSEs.

Thank you, I'm glad that I'm on tsr so that I'm able to release my emotions somewhere. Like you said, I know that GCSE exams are not the be all or end all, however it feels like that recently because I've been studying so much and researching a lot on career and university even if I'm not the right age to be worrying so much about it - so that makes me feel like it's almost my personality as silly as it sounds. It feels very pressurising when I have many expectations from not only family and school friends but also from myself because of how much I think about the future.
Thank you, I'm glad that I'm on tsr so that I'm able to release my emotions somewhere. Like you said, I know that GCSE exams are not the be all or end all, however it feels like that recently because I've been studying so much and researching a lot on career and university even if I'm not the right age to be worrying so much about it - so that makes me feel like it's almost my personality as silly as it sounds. It feels very pressurising when I have many expectations from not only family and school friends but also from myself because of how much I think about the future.

That's the thing, expectations from others will give you too much pressure. The truth is the only person that matters when it comes to your education is yourself-nobody else. Do what you want and don't let anybody else influence you. Lower your expectations and your mental health will be better because of it.
Reply 8
Hi, I'm in year 10 currently, and I've been stressed about grades since year 9, however it's slowly increased more and more and it's very difficult to control myself when I feel stressed or overwhelmed. I get relatively alright grades, I'm a person who always expects the top of the top grades (which may not be the best thing) so I'm especially struggling in maths and science (although I do fine in it, I have high expectations for both of them). Mainly GCSEs make me stressed and school in general (I've been diagnosed with anxiety).

Okay, first of all, I think the advice of the two other commenters are both excellent. Yes, you should be putting some work into your GCSEs, BUT you should be putting just as much, if not more, time into doing things you enjoy. I went to circus skills classes all the way through my GCSEs and A Levels, and I soooo needed that time to be distracted and not think about revising at all.

Secondly, I don't know if anyone's told you this but, other than feeling good about yourself, there is absolutely NO benefit to getting an 8 or a 9 at GCSE. Your GCSEs will get you into your next step (e.g sixth form) but after that, no one cares about them. With the exception of Oxbridge, universities don't care what your GCSE grades were. Have you looked at the entry requirements for sixth-form and colleges in your area? Because all the ones in my area required 5 GCSEs at grade 5 or above and either a 6 or a 7 in the subjects you are going to be doing. That's it. So getting higher than that isn't important.

Lastly, you have time. You're grades are naturally going to get better over time, and right now your mental health is more important.

So, my advise for you for the moment is to make sure you are getting around grade 5s in English Language, Maths, and three others of your choice. And just don't worry about how you're doing in the rest.

And most importantly, schedule in some time every week (or even better every day) where you aren't going to think about GCSEs at all.
Reply 9
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
That's the thing, expectations from others will give you too much pressure. The truth is the only person that matters when it comes to your education is yourself-nobody else. Do what you want and don't let anybody else influence you. Lower your expectations and your mental health will be better because of it.

Yes I agree, I'm working on lowering my expectations as it affects me a lot
Reply 10
Original post by Pablopip
Okay, first of all, I think the advice of the two other commenters are both excellent. Yes, you should be putting some work into your GCSEs, BUT you should be putting just as much, if not more, time into doing things you enjoy. I went to circus skills classes all the way through my GCSEs and A Levels, and I soooo needed that time to be distracted and not think about revising at all.

Secondly, I don't know if anyone's told you this but, other than feeling good about yourself, there is absolutely NO benefit to getting an 8 or a 9 at GCSE. Your GCSEs will get you into your next step (e.g sixth form) but after that, no one cares about them. With the exception of Oxbridge, universities don't care what your GCSE grades were. Have you looked at the entry requirements for sixth-form and colleges in your area? Because all the ones in my area required 5 GCSEs at grade 5 or above and either a 6 or a 7 in the subjects you are going to be doing. That's it. So getting higher than that isn't important.

Lastly, you have time. You're grades are naturally going to get better over time, and right now your mental health is more important.

So, my advise for you for the moment is to make sure you are getting around grade 5s in English Language, Maths, and three others of your choice. And just don't worry about how you're doing in the rest.

And most importantly, schedule in some time every week (or even better every day) where you aren't going to think about GCSEs at all.

Thank you, I agree with all the points you made and I'm slowly trying to improve. I've had a look at entry requirements for some colleges - kings maths college and london academy of excellence are the main ones I have looked at and their entry requirements are high - especially for science subjects. I'm thinking of doing either physics or chemistry a level which means I'll have to work harder to secure the gcse grades (gcse chemistry won't be too difficult as I enjoy it, but if I want to do maths a lot of universities say physics a level is helpful and I have to do it if I do go to kings maths college)

Quick Reply

Latest