The Student Room Group

i keep on procrastinating :(

i think this is now an issue. i keep on telling myself to get to work and get through all my tasks etc, but then i always get distracted an so bored. i know this shouldnt be the case because i am in year 13 and i am meant to be studying and working so hard. i feel very stupid and dumb. what can i do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
i think this is now an issue. i keep on telling myself to get to work and get through all my tasks etc, but then i always get distracted an so bored. i know this shouldnt be the case because i am in year 13 and i am meant to be studying and working so hard. i feel very stupid and dumb. what can i do?

This is more common than you may think. Everyone including myself get to deal with what we call procrastination almost on a daily basis. No reason to feel stupid and dumb, it's fine and a normal reaction especially since what you "should" do seems boring to you.

Understanding the deeper reasons behind your goals can be a powerful motivator.

What may help is first of all understand your goals, as in, why exactly do you need to do the task. Say if that's exam prep, the answer why is not to "pass the exam", but look beyond that - why do you want to pass the exam, what will it allow you to do next? Say you want to get into the Uni of your choice, okay but why do you want to get there? If that's because your parents told you so, then there is little motivation in that. Find your own long term goal. For example you want to have some independency in the future, a good and valuable career, naturally earning a decent amount of money. To get into that industry you must have a good degree, to get that degree you gotta get into that Uni and study that programme, to get there you must pass this exam, to pass the exam you must study this topic, etc.

I found that having a long term goal that is linked to your day to day tasks is a strong motivation on its own.

From there I suggest you make up a plan and stick to it, but be reasonable with it too. Don't plan to study 10 hours a day, I know and you know that's not going to happen. But if you plan say to study a topic 1 hr every day then there are more chances you actually going to achieve the end result. Aiming for shorter study sessions, like dedicating an hour a day as I mentioned, can make the workload less daunting. Break your workload into manageable chunks too. Also, getting into the environment where you are less likely to get distracted has worked for me and my friends very well. Normally I'd go to the college/Uni library and study there since I can't just stop and go play some video games at a moments notice.

I hope that helps a little.

All the best,
Al
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ThatguyAl
This is more common than you may think. Everyone including myself get to deal with what we call procrastination almost on a daily basis. No reason to feel stupid and dumb, it's fine and a normal reaction especially since what you "should" do seems boring to you.

Understanding the deeper reasons behind your goals can be a powerful motivator.

What may help is first of all understand your goals, as in, why exactly do you need to do the task. Say if that's exam prep, the answer why is not to "pass the exam", but look beyond that - why do you want to pass the exam, what will it allow you to do next? Say you want to get into the Uni of your choice, okay but why do you want to get there? If that's because your parents told you so, then there is little motivation in that. Find your own long term goal. For example you want to have some independency in the future, a good and valuable career, naturally earning a decent amount of money. To get into that industry you must have a good degree, to get that degree you gotta get into that Uni and study that programme, to get there you must pass this exam, to pass the exam you must study this topic, etc.

I found that having a long term goal that is linked to your day to day tasks is a strong motivation on its own.

From there I suggest you make up a plan and stick to it, but be reasonable with it too. Don't plan to study 10 hours a day, I know and you know that's not going to happen. But if you plan say to study a topic 1 hr every day then there are more chances you actually going to achieve the end result. Aiming for shorter study sessions, like dedicating an hour a day as I mentioned, can make the workload less daunting. Break your workload into manageable chunks too. Also, getting into the environment where you are less likely to get distracted has worked for me and my friends very well. Normally I'd go to the college/Uni library and study there since I can't just stop and go play some video games at a moments notice.

I hope that helps a little.

All the best,
Al

thank you so much ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest