The Student Room Group

Should I drop further maths?

I'm doing 3 A Levels and 1 AS, further maths being the AS. However, due to me recently missing a couple of classes due to really silly things like sleeping through my alarms my further maths teacher pulled me aside yesterday and straight up told me that with the way things are going, my enemy isn't going to do well in the AS exam. Now the things is I surprisingly really enjoy further maths this enjoyment might not be reflected in my test and assessment as I am currently getting Cs but I really don't want to drop it. But with the way he told me yesterday it really felt like there really was no hope of doing well in the exam and that I should just cut my losses now. I told him that I would like to continue with the course and not drop it but he told me to think it over this weekend and let him know next week. I'm been doing some thinking and at first I was like I'm going to keep doing it but taken into consideration that I'm getting Cs, the fact that the person literally teaching me feels the way he does, the fact that 3 a levels would be a lottt easier to manage... I'm unsure. So what do you think? Should I keep going or cut my losses now. Also, I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for economics. For my A-Levels I'm doing maths, economics and sociology
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Which course at Cambridge were you thinking about applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by finn_gray
Which course at Cambridge were you thinking about applying for?
Economics
Reply 3
Original post by Iremide26
Economics
My advice would be too keep Further Maths then. Just 7% of successful applicants don’t have Further Maths, so you would be putting yourself at a significant disadvantage. Try to work as hard as you can until your AS exam to try and get an A, then your application will be more competitive.
Reply 4
Original post by finn_gray
My advice would be too keep Further Maths then. Just 7% of successful applicants don’t have Further Maths, so you would be putting yourself at a significant disadvantage. Try to work as hard as you can until your AS exam to try and get an A, then your application will be more competitive.
Thanks thats how I feel as well but I've just been worried if it's even possible and my teachers says that its better not to do it at all then to do it and get a c because the grade you get is going to be on my UCAS application regardless of whether its good or not. But I'll keep doing it, I'll get work even harder
Original post by Iremide26
I'm doing 3 A Levels and 1 AS, further maths being the AS. However, due to me recently missing a couple of classes due to really silly things like sleeping through my alarms my further maths teacher pulled me aside yesterday and straight up told me that with the way things are going, my enemy isn't going to do well in the AS exam. Now the things is I surprisingly really enjoy further maths this enjoyment might not be reflected in my test and assessment as I am currently getting Cs but I really don't want to drop it. But with the way he told me yesterday it really felt like there really was no hope of doing well in the exam and that I should just cut my losses now. I told him that I would like to continue with the course and not drop it but he told me to think it over this weekend and let him know next week. I'm been doing some thinking and at first I was like I'm going to keep doing it but taken into consideration that I'm getting Cs, the fact that the person literally teaching me feels the way he does, the fact that 3 a levels would be a lottt easier to manage... I'm unsure. So what do you think? Should I keep going or cut my losses now. Also, I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for economics. For my A-Levels I'm doing maths, economics and sociology

If its only a couple of classes you have missed, then its not too bad. If you had missed a lot of classes or something then i would say that would be a problem.
Id carry on with it. You enjoy it. Plus it will help with ecomonics at uni.
You are getting C's which isnt too bad for an extra AS. There is chance of getting it up to either a B or an A. Teachers arent always right.

Quick Reply

Latest