The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick vs Exeter for a Finance BSc degree ?

Hi all,

I have great offers from Exeter for Finance and Warwick for Accounting and Finance. I have visited both universities but cannot decide at the moment which one to put as a first choice. Exeter campus looks and feels amazing - green, calm, safe. Warwick also looks great but I worry that Coventry compared to Exeter is not that great. However, reputation wise Warwick Business School is better than Exeter. I would really appreciate some input from students in both universities, especially if you have studied in the Business Schools, about uni life there, how approachable are the tutors, level of teaching, social side ( night life, safety, where to live in second and third year and how easy it is to find a place ), wellbeing provisions, opportunities the particular degree/uni provides after graduation. I have looked at statistics for some of these but personal experience would provide a great insight and, hopefully, make my decision easier. If there are any employers reading - who would you prefer - a Warwick or an Exeter graduate?

Thank you for your time.
Warwick is significantly better than exeter in finance, its business school is one of the best in europe, I'd personally say you'd be stupid to give up warwick for exeter for a career in finance. Exeter is still a good uni but not in the same tier as warwick
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Warwick is a target school from what I’ve heard or at least a semi-target for a career in finance so if you want to pursue a career in finance I would advise taking Warwick. I also have an offer for Accounting & Finance at Warwick so gonna be there next year.
Reply 3
Original post by cskp41
Hi all,
I have great offers from Exeter for Finance and Warwick for Accounting and Finance. I have visited both universities but cannot decide at the moment which one to put as a first choice. Exeter campus looks and feels amazing - green, calm, safe. Warwick also looks great but I worry that Coventry compared to Exeter is not that great. However, reputation wise Warwick Business School is better than Exeter. I would really appreciate some input from students in both universities, especially if you have studied in the Business Schools, about uni life there, how approachable are the tutors, level of teaching, social side ( night life, safety, where to live in second and third year and how easy it is to find a place ), wellbeing provisions, opportunities the particular degree/uni provides after graduation. I have looked at statistics for some of these but personal experience would provide a great insight and, hopefully, make my decision easier. If there are any employers reading - who would you prefer - a Warwick or an Exeter graduate?

Good luck!
Thank you for your time.
Forget the bit about reputation. This is purely a marketing ploy on behalf of universities. Employers don't care where you went, just what you can do. I would suggest you think very carefully about what you want to do after university and think about how the specific courses will meet those ambitions. If you don't have any plans other than "get a job", then it probably does come down to location.

Yes, Exeter is very pretty with Devon and the seaside on your doorstep although I am not so sure how connected that is with public transport. Coventry is a thriving city with the even more thriving Birmingham a 30 min train ride away. I went to Aston and became a keen mountaineer. Being so central was definitely a bonus to being able to get out and about and explore the UK.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Thank you very much for your input, guys. I will be going to the offer holders' day at Warwick this week and hopefully, will have a clearer idea after that.
Original post by cskp41
Hi all,
Thank you for your time.
hey what are you stats?
Original post by hotpud
Forget the bit about reputation. This is purely a marketing ploy on behalf of universities. Employers don't care where you went, just what you can do. I would suggest you think very carefully about what you want to do after university and think about how the specific courses will meet those ambitions. If you don't have any plans other than "get a job", then it probably does come down to location.
Yes, Exeter is very pretty with Devon and the seaside on your doorstep although I am not so sure how connected that is with public transport. Coventry is a thriving city with the even more thriving Birmingham a 30 min train ride away. I went to Aston and became a keen mountaineer. Being so central was definitely a bonus to being able to get out and about and explore the UK.
This is terrible advice to give someone considering going into finance, uni reputation is very important in finance. For OP, Warwick is a target and Exter is a weak semi target at best so would say Warwick unless you don't like the location.
Reply 7
Original post by mxtt_helm
This is terrible advice to give someone considering going into finance, uni reputation is very important in finance. For OP, Warwick is a target and Exter is a weak semi target at best so would say Warwick unless you don't like the location.
Rubbish - do you honestly believe someone will be handed a job on a plate simply because of the university they studied at? At best it gets you an interview.

But equally, how incompetent are the companies you are potentially applying for if they favour the university you study at over the quality of the candidate. Great universities produce mediocre graduates. Just look at our current government.
Original post by hotpud
Rubbish - do you honestly believe someone will be handed a job on a plate simply because of the university they studied at? At best it gets you an interview.
But equally, how incompetent are the companies you are potentially applying for if they favour the university you study at over the quality of the candidate. Great universities produce mediocre graduates. Just look at our current government.
Never said they didnt, but if this person wants to go into finance related fields then the reputation does matter. Plus considering how hard getting an interview can be, thats a very non trivial difference. I never said getting into a university thats more prestigious gets you a job straight away, I said it gives you an advantage. For example, in IB there are 6 target universities that the majority of IB professionals come from. By no means required to attend them, but helps. The advice that it doesnt matter at all is somewhat ignorant of how prestige plays a role in applications. Most companies don't just take people purely based off university, but all else being equal, one from a noticeably more prestigious place than the other, then that person gets the internship or job offer.
Reply 9
Original post by mxtt_helm
Never said they didnt, but if this person wants to go into finance related fields then the reputation does matter. Plus considering how hard getting an interview can be, thats a very non trivial difference. I never said getting into a university thats more prestigious gets you a job straight away, I said it gives you an advantage. For example, in IB there are 6 target universities that the majority of IB professionals come from. By no means required to attend them, but helps. The advice that it doesnt matter at all is somewhat ignorant of how prestige plays a role in applications. Most companies don't just take people purely based off university, but all else being equal, one from a noticeably more prestigious place than the other, then that person gets the internship or job offer.
Fair play. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest