The Student Room Group

BTEC and University

1. Do I need to do 3 years in college to get into uni?
2. Can I get onto an English language/literature/creative writing course if I study BTEC hairdressing in college?
3. Do I need to do an English course in college to get onto English in university, or can I get on with a GCSE Grade 4?

Thank you!
1) Are you from the UK.
2) What are your current qualifications.
3) Why do you want to do a degree in English.
Original post by McGinger
1) Are you from the UK.
2) What are your current qualifications.
3) Why do you want to do a degree in English.
1) yes
2) im in my first year of college doing hair and beauty Level 1 (which I do not want to do)
3) because I’ve been writing for a while, and im now almost finished on publishing my first book.
Original post by Morganelliescott
1) yes
2) im in my first year of college doing hair and beauty Level 1 (which I do not want to do)
3) because I’ve been writing for a while, and im now almost finished on publishing my first book.
Hi @Morganelliescott

Wow, your own book that is amazing! For most universities you need a certain amount of UCAS points to get onto the course, so unfortunately GCSE's won't be accepted. However, there are BTEC English courses you could take if you don't want to do A-levels, but doing either A-levels or a BTEC would be your way in. And if you really want to peruse this then I think it is worth doing the two years of college to get the grades so you can get on a great course at uni. Sometimes people worry that they will be a year behind everyone else but honestly when you arrive to university there are people of all ages, and it is better to take your time to do something you love then carry on in something you don't enjoy.

And keep writing! The book and anything else you write are all great for building that CV and portfolio for when applying to internships and jobs and also some universities take a portfolio.

So to answer your questions directly
1) No just two years with the right qualifications.
2) Probably not, but check the entry requirements of the universities you are applying to.
3) Yes you need to study an English course or A-levels.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @Morganelliescott
Wow, your own book that is amazing! For most universities you need a certain amount of UCAS points to get onto the course, so unfortunately GCSE's won't be accepted. However, there are BTEC English courses you could take if you don't want to do A-levels, but doing either A-levels or a BTEC would be your way in. And if you really want to peruse this then I think it is worth doing the two years of college to get the grades so you can get on a great course at uni. Sometimes people worry that they will be a year behind everyone else but honestly when you arrive to university there are people of all ages, and it is better to take your time to do something you love then carry on in something you don't enjoy.
And keep writing! The book and anything else you write are all great for building that CV and portfolio for when applying to internships and jobs and also some universities take a portfolio.
So to answer your questions directly
1) No just two years with the right qualifications.
2) Probably not, but check the entry requirements of the universities you are applying to.
3) Yes you need to study an English course or A-levels.
Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)

So you know the ABB or BCC requirements etc, what are they in BTEC? Also doesn’t that mean I need to do 3 years for 3 grades? It’s so confusing to me I never got taught any of this, I don’t think anyone believed me when I said I was gonna write a book.
Original post by Morganelliescott
So you know the ABB or BCC requirements etc, what are they in BTEC? Also doesn’t that mean I need to do 3 years for 3 grades? It’s so confusing to me I never got taught any of this, I don’t think anyone believed me when I said I was gonna write a book.
Hi @Morganelliescott

Most people apply to uni through UCAS and each course you apply for will have a certain amount of UCAS points required to get in, the grades that you get in A-levels or BTEC can be converted into UCAS points. For example ABB would be 128 and BCC would be 104, I convert these using UCAS Tariff Points - Calculate Your Entry Requirements which you can access to work how many UCAS points you will have from your grades. For a BTEC I believe a D*D* would be 112 UCAS points and a D*D would be 104, but if you use the calculator you can get a more accurate conversion with the particular qualification you are doing. Kingston also has a helpful page for understanding how the points work UCAS Tariff points and differential offers explained - How to apply - Kingston University London this may be worth having a look at.

And so when doing A-levels you do all three alongside each other for two years as they are two year courses, so no need to study for three years.

I hope this all makes sense and isn't too complicated. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending